New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Dec 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #121 of 215
If i can, i will take all of my Head-suit's to the So Cal meet but i think i am letting go of my es10. Just too many, i can't use them all. It has its purpose too but I i feel a bit like i have over done it...

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #122 of 215
  It has its purpose too but I i feel a bit like i have over done it...

I've been there as well...right now I have 5 very nice headphones...but it seems each has its own niche.  I wish I could find one for all situations but I haven't found the single uber headphone yet :)

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #123 of 215
Yes, i have 11 pairs of phones and one pair of custom iems, not including a pair of Grados that needs wire redone and old original pair of Ultrasone HFI650s both of which i don't count. For a while i said i had one for each niche but then upgraded one then another and then i just recently exploded my woodies. I do have one that i could maybe live with for everything though. It really hasn't had much use lately but it does all things pretty well and has for years. It is the Ultrasone Ed8 Ltd. Very comfortable, can have in bed, can use portable and works well with home system. I have others that top it in their own areas but it is a true all arounder. 

The collection gets big if you don't sell things…..

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #124 of 215
My set has approximately 125 hours now and I am very happy with the improvements.  I've had headphones in which burn-in seems to do nothing...however the ESW9LTD is not one of them.  They sound so spacious and effortless now for a smaller portable can...but most noticeably the bass has fleshed out nicely.

I have already noticed burn in, either the phones or my ears. Hearing better detail and dynamics now. More than other phones I have used as well. They are growing on me.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #125 of 215
I have already noticed burn in, either the phones or my ears. Hearing better detail and dynamics now. More than other phones I have used as well. They are growing on me.

For me, burn in seemed to continue at least through 100 hours.  Really enjoying them now...

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #126 of 215
Listened to some at a store in Tokyo the other day...they were displayed between the ES10 and ESW9. Being display models, I suspect they were pretty well burned in. The LTD cost 35% more than the ES10 and about twice as much as the ESW9...however, they are thin-sounding compared to the ES10 (53mm vs 42mm drivers, an entirely different league) and the ESW9LTD aren't twice as good as the ESW9 (not even close). Thus I would consider these more of a collectors piece, for those who like to collect limited stuff. And it seems like AT has grown quite a fan base so these will surely sell out...

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #127 of 215
To me the 10s are very bass heavy. Some have even stated that it's like attaching a subwoofer to ears. The esw9 is musical and warm but has no where near the detail as the esw9ltd. Actually my esw9 is religated to just sitting on a shelf waiting for a beach day in the summer. I've owned the es10' esw10jpn,esw11ltd,esw9, and the esw9ltd all at the same time and done extensive comparing. It is obvious to my ears that the esw9 is older technology sounding a bit dull and smeared but it is still fun if it's all you have and a pretty good bargain for lower budgets.

Edit add-At this point my two most used portables are the esw11ltd and the esw9ltd. I sold the es10s, I was always very unimpressed with their sound. Although the big drivers gave a fullness, they felt very clostriphobic. The esw11ltd has a more open airy while still keeping good bass and fullness with the 53mm drivers as well. The esw10jpn is more of the collectable, less were made and they have a distinctive sound and ultra detail. I use them on occasion when I want to really listen carefully but I'm a little jumpy wearing them out because they are somewhat irreplaceable. The esw9ltd seems to be a halfway ground between the esw9 and the esw10jpn, leaning a step or two closer to the esw10jpn.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #128 of 215
To me the 10s are very bass heavy. Some have even stated that it's like attaching a subwoofer to ears. The esw9 is musical and warm but has no where near the detail as the esw9ltd. Actually my esw9 is religated to just sitting on a shelf waiting for a beach day in the summer. I've owned the es10' esw10jpn,esw11ltd,esw9, and the esw9ltd all at the same time and done extensive comparing. It is obvious to my ears that the esw9 is older technology sounding a bit dull and smeared but it is still fun if it's all you have and a pretty good bargain for lower budgets.

Edit add-At this point my two most used portables are the esw11ltd and the esw9ltd. I sold the es10s, I was always very unimpressed with their sound. Although the big drivers gave a fullness, they felt very clostriphobic. The esw11ltd has a more open airy while still keeping good bass and fullness with the 53mm drivers as well. The esw10jpn is more of the collectable, less were made and they have a distinctive sound and ultra detail. I use them on occasion when I want to really listen carefully but I'm a little jumpy wearing them out because they are somewhat irreplaceable. The esw9ltd seems to be a halfway ground between the esw9 and the esw10jpn, leaning a step or two closer to the esw10jpn.

I agree with you about the ESW9 sounding smeary.  Especially after using my AD900X at home and slapping the woodies on to use mobile.  That's why I'm interested in the 9LTD as I hope there's a little less of the honey colouring that the regular 9 impart on the tunes.  

Even having said that, the regular 9 is a joy to have for really nice background music.  But if I want my mobile music to be more detailed, I put on the ES88.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #129 of 215
  Listened to some at a store in Tokyo the other day...they were displayed between the ES10 and ESW9. Being display models, I suspect they were pretty well burned in. The LTD cost 35% more than the ES10 and about twice as much as the ESW9...however, they are thin-sounding compared to the ES10 (53mm vs 42mm drivers, an entirely different league) and the ESW9LTD aren't twice as good as the ESW9 (not even close). Thus I would consider these more of a collectors piece, for those who like to collect limited stuff. And it seems like AT has grown quite a fan base so these will surely sell out...

On immediate first impressions I would agree, but spend more time with the 9LTD and you'll start to see they have strengths in detail and space and it becomes much less clear which AT can is the "winner".  I also noted the "thin" sound but have learned if you pair them with the right source they can sing in a (better) way appreciated by someone acclimated to an ESW9.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #130 of 215
Sometimes when you are used to a higher sound floor and less separation between the instruments a headphone that does that and has more punchy bass instead of just a warm gloss can sound thin. I have been guilty of being caught in this situation myself at meets and get togethers.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #131 of 215
Hi guys,

Is Price Japan still the best place to buy the LTDs? I live in San Francisco.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #132 of 215
oops, just noticed they don't have them anymore. Any other reputable shops that sell these?

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #133 of 215
Wow, you're right. They don't have it on price japan or on audio cubes. The only place i see it is Amazon marketplace in the mid to upper $400.s. They have it from regular Amazon in the 9's What!  

If i had to buy it again in the U.S. i would go Amazon Market place.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OTACT5G/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #134 of 215
It's selling out pretty fast in Singapore.
I heard that around 2/3 of the stocks were sold out within a few weeks after launch.

Which was surprising since Audio Technica Limited Editions don't usually move so fast here.
We were probably once of the last places to sell out the W3000ANV.

Retail price for the ESW9LTD here is $488 SGD (~$400 USD)

There was a launch promo with about 5% - 10% discount and the following free gifts:
- Audio Technica hard case pouch (worth $38 SGD)
- Audio Technica Gold Link Fine AT501CS 3.5mm - 6.5mm plug adapter (worth $18 SGD)

At that price it's pretty sick.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #135 of 215
I really love the esw9ltd. I'm not surprised it is selling out. No word on the number of units but from what I have read it is between 1000-3000. I suspect 2000 myself, although the esw10jpn was only 1000. Of course that was for Japan only. Still amazed by the lack of interest out here but probably because many assumed that it was just an esw9 that was limited and thus expense instead of what it is, a completely new driver and different acoustics.

Glad I didn't wait to long and miss the opportunity like I did with the esw10jpn, which I was finally able to find recently used after years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back