New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #10,681 of 11,368
I would tend to a
Although I have a very favorable opinion of Magna I would pass on that simply because Kingwa doesn't cut corners. I think if there was any way to make the product significantly better at a reasonable cost, he would already have done it.
I have heard the difference at Art Speak who upgraded mine and I can confirm the difference is clearly audible and worth it.
It is not only the silver upgrade but also the R2R board upgrade. I understand it is hard to judge if you can’t compare.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #10,682 of 11,368
I have heard the difference at Art Speak who upgraded mine and I can confirm the difference is clearly audible and worth it.
It is not only the silver upgrade but also the R2R board upgrade. I understand it is hard to judge if you can’t compare.
Sometimes better/difference is a preference

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #10,684 of 11,368
Very helpful. I am no engineer but from what I can tell Kingwa is an artist when it comes to his electronics so if this was a need to have it would already be in there. I know there are always tweaks to be had but I prefer my tweaks on the outside vs the inside, for example cables, clocks, etc.

I believe one of the guys (possibly @DACLadder ) said that Kingwa uses the Mutec REF10 clock and HD 800s (not S) as some of his associated gear.

The Mutec is a wonderful clock with a lot of things done right, I can certainly recommend it along with Mutec's other gear.

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #10,686 of 11,368
Sep 18, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #10,687 of 11,368
"The R7HE delivered the dynamism and clarity of the Mola Mola Tambaqui coupled with the triode-like splendor of the HoloAudio May and Denafrips's Terminator Plus."

So it should deserve to be in the A+ category as Tambaqui and May.

Matt

To be honest, given what I know about some of those components that they are recommending, as well as the removal of other components, that list has serious credibility issues (good as it may be for Kingwa to be recommended).

Very helpful. I am no engineer but from what I can tell Kingwa is an artist when it comes to his electronics so if this was a need to have it would already be in there. I know there are always tweaks to be had but I prefer my tweaks on the outside vs the inside, for example cables, clocks, etc.
Going by conversations I've had with him, I believe it's more that he has particular sonic goals, and the components he uses meets those goals, including the wire he uses.

Some time ago, I asked him why he doesn't use board-mounted external connectors. An extra soldering joint with a piece of wire is surely less ideal than a direct connection and one less solder joint. One of the reasons I recall being given is that Chinese people value hand-made things over machine-made things, whereas Westerners tend to be the opposite when it comes to electronics. So, I don't think the reasoning for Kingwa's design choices are always for the reasons we think they are.

Now to annoy you all with another thought: Audio-gd has always been known to make gear that has good value (especially if you value having gear that uses real power supplies, and not $10 switching power supplies which will probably fail after a few years). However, I think that Schiit may have, as I like to put it "out Chinese-d the Chinese" and beat what Kingwa can do in some areas of the audio market. Much of that comes down to how they have simplified how they design products. There's part of me that would like to start an audio company that has Kingwa design and build the products, but tweaked for a Western market, from the main features and internal layout, down to the box design and packaging looking more professional.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #10,688 of 11,368
To be honest, given what I know about some of those components that they are recommending, as well as the removal of other components, that list has serious credibility issues (good as it may be for Kingwa to be recommended).

Going by conversations I've had with him, I believe it's more that he has particular sonic goals, and the components he uses meets those goals, including the wire he uses.

Some time ago, I asked him why he doesn't use board-mounted external connectors. An extra soldering joint with a piece of wire is surely less ideal than a direct connection and one less solder joint. One of the reasons I recall being given is that Chinese people value hand-made things over machine-made things, whereas Westerners tend to be the opposite when it comes to electronics. So, I don't think the reasoning for Kingwa's design choices are always for the reasons we think they are.

Now to annoy you all with another thought: Audio-gd has always been known to make gear that has good value (especially if you value having gear that uses real power supplies, and not $10 switching power supplies which will probably fail after a few years). However, I think that Schiit may have, as I like to put it "out Chinese-d the Chinese" and beat what Kingwa can do in some areas of the audio market. Much of that comes down to how they have simplified how they design products. There's part of me that would like to start an audio company that has Kingwa design and build the products, but tweaked for a Western market, from the main features and internal layout, down to the box design and packaging looking more professional.
Yeah. The beauty of Audio-gd is the inside. But the mkiii chassis looks better than the old one.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #10,689 of 11,368
Yeah. The beauty of Audio-gd is the inside. But the mkiii chassis looks better than the old one.
I would agree, I would assume this community has provided Audio-GD some valuable feedback because the look of the MK3 is what got me over the hump to make the commitment. The R7HEMK3 to me looks refined and elegant.

Sep 18, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #10,691 of 11,368
Okay first question. I see that Magna offers a "silver upgrade," on the R7HE Mk2/3. Is this a nice to have or is this an imperative upgrade. My apologies if this has been asked and answered so forgive the newbie question in advance.
I will disagree with the others and say it's worth it for the price.

I have this upgrade and although i have no idea what it sounds like with out the silver upgrade, i still approve :)

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #10,692 of 11,368
Hello.

Does a DI-20-HE improves the sound quality of a R7HE21 ? Both have accusillicon clocks, seems the DI-20-HE is already built-in within R7HE.
I'm wondering if the DI-20-HE is a worthwhile addition for my current R7HE21. Any feedback welcome, thanks.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #10,693 of 11,368
Hello.

Does a DI-20-HE improves the sound quality of a R7HE21 ? Both have accusillicon clocks, seems the DI-20-HE is already built-in within R7HE.
I'm wondering if the DI-20-HE is a worthwhile addition for my current R7HE21. Any feedback welcome, thanks.
For sure! No doubt. The DI20HE is another level compared to integrated usb.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #10,694 of 11,368
Some time ago, I asked him why he doesn't use board-mounted external connectors. An extra soldering joint with a piece of wire is surely less ideal than a direct connection and one less solder joint.

It's not surely less ideal. Board mounted connectors are a cost-saving measure. They stress the PCB and can lead to breakage over time. When I see a device with board mounted connectors I look for something else.

Case mounted sockets are better in every way. They're stronger, they're easily replaced, they don't stress the board. A short wire is electrically irrelevant at audio frequencies.

I couldn't agree less with your view of that other, non-competitive company. Their stuff sells because it's cheap, commodity gear. It will be a cold day in hell when they can outdo Kingwa's designs and builds.

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #10,695 of 11,368
For sure! No doubt. The DI20HE is another level compared to integrated usb.
Why ? R7HE21 (or MK2/3) have same Amanero board, same Accusilicon clocks. Please explain why using DI-20-HE is better. if it's better, it means something is missing / wrong with the R7HE21 (or Mk 2/3). I just can't understand why it would bring improvement with R7HEMk2 (or R7HE21 which has accusilicon clocks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back