New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 25, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #9,856 of 11,259
ok but the improvement is with the DI20HE, not with the DI20, if I have the R7 2020 version not updated to 21, I might not have this improvement. I not think i have a clock 10Mhz input (i m not sure)
The 2020 has a clock in, normally. Look for a 50-ohm bnc connector and check if the menu is the same as what audio-gd describes in the discontinued products pages.

The di20 would still be a clear upgrade in your case. Getting the usb input upgrade should be even better.

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #9,857 of 11,259
ok but the improvement is with the DI20HE, not with the DI20, if I have the R7 2020 version not updated to 21, I might not have this improvement. I not think i have a clock 10Mhz input (i m not sure)
It depends whether you have electrically noisy USB interface(s). If so, even the DI-20 will help.

sorry, I see @FredA already answered. For some reason I didn't see posts after the one I responded to until it was too late :D

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #9,858 of 11,259
Casual listening?? How dare you?? :dt880smile:

Seriously though, the R1 and the NFB1 are fantastic. Especially if you've only been exposed to Delta/Sigma DACs your whole life.
I know right. :). I have actually only owned two delta sigma DAC in my life. I have owned most R2R DACS and now own an Exogal Comet+.

I owned the Burson Conductor and didn’t like it, and owned a TEAC UD-505. The TEAC was wonderful. I sold the TEAC and bought a Pontus II and Iris. But, I ended up going a totally different direction.

The R28 is a wonderful product. I have no issues with its performance and believe for the price it is without peer. I am hoping that a R27 follows a similar philosophy. But, it will still be a 2nd system for me.

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #9,859 of 11,259
Casual listening?? How dare you?? :dt880smile:

Seriously though, the R1 and the NFB1 are fantastic. Especially if you've only been exposed to Delta/Sigma DACs your whole life.
Most people have only heard Delta Sigma. There are good ones out there... Just not my preferred sound.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #9,860 of 11,259
There has been questions about the DI-20(HE) and also R27...maybe I can "help" with my negligible foundings coming from Topping gear in stages. First I purchased the R27 2021 -model on sale from Audiophonics (I really couldn´t afford the newer R27 models) after using D90MQA+A90+Denafrips Iris for few years. Don´t get me wrong, those things served me well but I was on a mission to "simplify" my gear with R2R "All In One" equipment + add boredom. This "simplification" didn´t really work because I bought more stuff but still I have one box less than before so it´s kind of a success :dt880smile: So first came the R27 2021 that replaced the Topping stack and straight from box all new never used the R27 2021 gave me the bliss of music back, depth of soundstage, decay of cymbals and string instruments and more realistic vocals (I really do enjoy adult female vocals like the artist Buika). The Topping stack sounded flat in comparison. I ran the R27 some time trough the Iris via I²S connection from iFi Zen Streams USB. Then I sold the Iris and thought that the Zen Stream has clean enough USB output to connect it straight to the R27. Things changed a bit, resolution dipped a bit and the "air" was missing. Of course (as You all know) I started looking for new DDC and found almoist new DI-20HE from Finland! So USB in from Zen Stream and I²S out to the R27. Then things started to happen! The synergy with the DI-20HE and R27 2021 is better than with the Iris. Nowadays I use AVplay silver HDMI cable between the devices and it seems to be a quite good "upgrade". The best decision for a long time was to replace PC from the chain and go for a streamer; great notable difference in the cleanlines of the sound. And for the biggest change to enjoyment to listening to music was the R27 2021. If someone is using PC as a source you will find the DI-20(HE) a great improvement in overall performance if your gear is resolutive enough + you gain another digital input for example for CD player. From streamer to the DAC vs. streamer+DDC to DAC the difference is not so great but still easily noticeable, at least with the gear that I have used. And as you see I don´t have that ultra resolutive gear...

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #9,861 of 11,259
There has been questions about the DI-20(HE) and also R27...maybe I can "help" with my negligible foundings coming from Topping gear in stages. First I purchased the R27 2021 -model on sale from Audiophonics (I really couldn´t afford the newer R27 models) after using D90MQA+A90+Denafrips Iris for few years. Don´t get me wrong, those things served me well but I was on a mission to "simplify" my gear with R2R "All In One" equipment + add boredom. This "simplification" didn´t really work because I bought more stuff but still I have one box less than before so it´s kind of a success :dt880smile: So first came the R27 2021 that replaced the Topping stack and straight from box all new never used the R27 2021 gave me the bliss of music back, depth of soundstage, decay of cymbals and string instruments and more realistic vocals (I really do enjoy adult female vocals like the artist Buika). The Topping stack sounded flat in comparison. I ran the R27 some time trough the Iris via I²S connection from iFi Zen Streams USB. Then I sold the Iris and thought that the Zen Stream has clean enough USB output to connect it straight to the R27. Things changed a bit, resolution dipped a bit and the "air" was missing. Of course (as You all know) I started looking for new DDC and found almoist new DI-20HE from Finland! So USB in from Zen Stream and I²S out to the R27. Then things started to happen! The synergy with the DI-20HE and R27 2021 is better than with the Iris. Nowadays I use AVplay silver HDMI cable between the devices and it seems to be a quite good "upgrade". The best decision for a long time was to replace PC from the chain and go for a streamer; great notable difference in the cleanlines of the sound. And for the biggest change to enjoyment to listening to music was the R27 2021. If someone is using PC as a source you will find the DI-20(HE) a great improvement in overall performance if your gear is resolutive enough + you gain another digital input for example for CD player. From streamer to the DAC vs. streamer+DDC to DAC the difference is not so great but still easily noticeable, at least with the gear that I have used. And as you see I don´t have that ultra resolutive gear...
Congrats! This is a great post. I agree wholeheartedly about Topping. Measurements tell us electrically, but not musically what is happening. We don’t listen to sine waves or measurements, but music and the Topping gear, while perfect in terms of measurements seems to be missing that “thing” I look for in my music.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #9,862 of 11,259
Congrats! This is a great post. I agree wholeheartedly about Topping. Measurements tell us electrically, but not musically what is happening. We don’t listen to sine waves or measurements, but music and the Topping gear, while perfect in terms of measurements seems to be missing that “thing” I look for in my music.
I´m not against measurements, not at all. But those things are usually made in the way that doesn´t correlate with listening and feeling/reacting with music. Depth of a soundstage and so on, of course your headphones/speakers are great deal conserning those things... And I listen to music, not the gear. I have only few things that gives me pleasure nowadays and one is the enjoyment when I put on my headphones or listen trouhg my active speakers (which are umberleavable considering the cost) and just put my feet up and enjoy. Of course I can tell/hear the difference for example with the DI-20HE in my system with my modest gear and I can apricciate what that unit brings to the table. Both of my Audio-GD gear are still burning in, I´m happy all ready that I got them quite cheap; enjoying the trip and where the burning in leads me.

EDIT: There has been also debate about R8 and R7 and master 19 and HE and all sorts of things, IF those things are even better than my setup (and they should) they must be absolutelly endgame because the R27 2021 + DI-20HE is just unbelievable kit at ~2600 euros!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #9,863 of 11,259
Hi fellow Audio-GD Lovers!

I need your help on deciding between R7-MK2 and R8-MK2. I am buying the HE1-LE preamp with, either the R8 or R7, before the end of the month to get the 7.5% discount. I own a PS Audio P3 power generator, so Kingwa told me that the non-regenerator versions of the dac and preamp would be fine. He also mentioned that the R8 MK2 is the best value and that the sound difference compared to the R7 MK2 is much like the difference between a $100 signal cable and a $30 one.

What is your take on this dilemma ? Are any of you owning the R8 regretting not getting the R7 ? Thanks for your help!

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #9,864 of 11,259
If you're opting for the HE-1 LE, I would match it the equally top level R7 mk2. Not that the HE-1 would be underutilized with the R8 by any means.

If you don't have really good power regeneration or a (non-current-limiting) filter, you might want to consider the R8-HE, instead of the R7.

What power amp and speakers will you be running?

Either way, you'll be satisfied!

If your budget isn't too limited, I would go for the absolute best Audio-gd gear that you can afford.

I suppose it all depends on whether or not you are chasing the absolute best – that last couple of percent.

Getting a good DDC like the DI-20 and a quality external clock would be beneficial, whether you get the R8 or R7. But all of these goodies add up....

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #9,865 of 11,259
Hi fellow Audio-GD Lovers!

I need your help on deciding between R7-MK2 and R8-MK2. I am buying the HE1-LE preamp with, either the R8 or R7, before the end of the month to get the 7.5% discount. I own a PS Audio P3 power generator, so Kingwa told me that the non-regenerator versions of the dac and preamp would be fine. He also mentioned that the R8 MK2 is the best value and that the soun.......

If you are thinking between R7 & R8, almost always R8 is your answer. In an area where AC power is not ideal, R8He will give better sound than R7. If one were to A/B compare between the two(R8/R7), the system likely will be the bottleneck to tell the difference. The big advantage for R7 is the fact that there are some components that one can swap out whereas the R8 cannot. The first gen R8 does not have clock input which was a major difference. This has been changed now. This is my discussion with Kingwa when I asked that question.

I own the R8He and I am thinking about upgrading. But that is just to taste the magic of pcm1704. For those who owns the 1704, may I ask for your comments and comparison?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #9,867 of 11,259
I've just bought the PS Audio M1200 monoblocks. They are class D that include a tube. The speaker are Martin-Logan SL3; an old model that I will eventually replace with either a more recent model or Magnepan 3.7i.
The price of those blocks should make the decision for you = R7HE MK2 + DI20HE and room for master clock.....don´t forget quality ACSS cables while you are at it :raised_hands:

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #9,868 of 11,259
The price of those blocks should make the decision for you = R7HE MK2 + DI20HE and room for master clock.....don´t forget quality ACSS cables while you are at it :raised_hands:
Thanks OCC7N !
Since I already own a PS Audio power regenerator (their entry level P3) would the R7 MK2 + DI-20 work as well as their regenerated versions ?
I was planning to get the ACSS cable from Audio-GD as suggested by Kingwa. Would you recommend something else ?
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but when using an external clock, do you connect it to the DI-20 and/or the R7 ?

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #9,869 of 11,259
Thanks OCC7N !
Since I already own a PS Audio power regenerator (their entry level P3) would the R7 MK2 + DI-20 work as well as their regenerated versions ?
I was planning to get the ACSS cable from Audio-GD as suggested by Kingwa. Would you recommend something else ?
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but when using an external clock, do you connect it to the DI-20 and/or the R7 ?
If you can stretch it to the regenerative power version, its always better but it may not guarantee an improvement if you already have heavy power filtering.

Theres not alot of options for acss cables, I got this one from Robertson Audio in Australia. They were recommended in this thread and while I have not tested any other acss cables, they blew away any xlr or rca cables I've tested on my system. I'm not sure how much of the improvement was the acss connection and how much was the cable though.

Yes the master clock can connect to both the di20 and r7, before you buy the r7, you may need to request that the BNC connection is converted to clock in. Thats what I had to do with my R8mk2 or technically the R8EC (master clock input version).

Edit : nm, the R7 comes with an external clock input and a bnc spdif connection.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #9,870 of 11,259
Thanks OCC7N !

The DI-20's value is mostly as a DDC if you have other Audio-gd gear. In other words, if you buy a great dac like the R7 MK2 you don't want to run USB into it, you might want a better interface like IIS, ACSS, or AES/EBU. The HE gear is definitely better but the benefit is incremental. The HE DI-20 does not sound 2X as good as the base model but the HE version is still a good value. All of Kingwa's stuff is worth more than what he charges.

The general guideline is buy the best Audio-gd gear you can afford and the HE is the best stuff. You will not be wasting money if you get the HE gear, but if you don't get it you will always wonder. On the other hand it can be expensive and the HE gear is larger and not everybody has the room or budget etc.

Yes, you clock both the DI-20 and the R7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back