New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #9,871 of 11,276
Thanks OCC7N !
Since I already own a PS Audio power regenerator (their entry level P3) would the R7 MK2 + DI-20 work as well as their regenerated versions ?
I was planning to get the ACSS cable from Audio-GD as suggested by Kingwa. Would you recommend something else ?
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but when using an external clock, do you connect it to the DI-20 and/or the R7 ?
There is a pretty big price jump from R7mk2 to R7HEmk2 compared to the R8(HE)mk2.

You power conditioner(P3) looks great, I think though even further improvement will benefit you, and if you can do that on a dac, I would. I have also read people even upgrade/attach the power cable(on P3) with Furutech Flux-50 NCF, so even the conditioner, gets improved. It sure helped my iFi powerstation also

What Im trying to tell you is if you are really critical, and can hear the differences in most scenarios, the last percentages of an REG PSU will be noticeable. But if you just the casual listener, like I am 80% of the time, then you are still more than fine with those models imo.

Atleast go all in on the DI20 and get the HE. This thing has its secrets! Its music, engaging. It does something with the timing, I can not explain. This thing should get an award, and Im not joking. The R8 sounds great without, but DI20HE sets everything in its place, its like the engagement of the music/elements catches my senses off guard, this is without master clock.

Note this when you get the master clock: Master clock only has 10Mhz outputs either with 50Ohm or 75Ohm connection(buy BNC cables accordingly), this did confuse me in the start. DI20/HE has 2 port, one says EXT CLOCK. This port is not being used, leave it open. Only ports that you should use is the 10Mhz inputs on you audio devices. DDC, DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #9,872 of 11,276
Thanks a lot OCC7N !
If I understand correctly, going with the R8HE MK2, modified for clock input, together with the DI20-HE would be good choice, sound wise, and great value. I could get a clock latter on. Is power regeneration as critical for the preamp as it is for the dac ?
What would be the recommended way to connect the DI20-HE to the R8 dac, ACSS or I2S ?

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #9,873 of 11,276
Thanks a lot OCC7N !
If I understand correctly, going with the R8HE MK2, modified for clock input, together with the DI20-HE would be good choice, sound wise, and great value. I could get a clock latter on. Is power regeneration as critical for the preamp as it is for the dac ?

Which preamp?

What would be the recommended way to connect the DI20-HE to the R8 dac, ACSS or I2S ?

You can't ask that kind of question or the thread will be 10X the size :D

IIS has more bandwidth than audio will ever need. I mean it.

ACSS is what S/PDIF should have been- coax with BNC connectors and around 384 KHz bandwidth which is good enough to support DXD with some breathing room. But, this is a mostly incompatible interface. If you have a mixed bag you can't exploit it.

AES/EBU is needed if you have pro gear, and it has locking connectors. It's my preferred setup most of the time.

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #9,874 of 11,276
Thanks a lot OCC7N !

My chain is like this: Source - USB cable to DI20HE - I2S Cable to R8HEmk2 - ACSS CABLES to HE-9 LE

If you decide on R8HE mk2 you should note that you want the BNC/SPDIF input as clock input as 10Mhz/50 or 75. DDC comes standard with 10Mhz/50Ohm, you can also decide for 75Ohm.

If you buy from magnahifi.com you have the option to choose about the clock on both the ddc and dac. I have no experience buying directly from Kingwa

All day I have sessioned RME and TT2 vs AGD setup. AGD is just more music to my ears. Its like it surrounds me

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #9,875 of 11,276
I have no experience buying directly from Kingwa

His support is great. I ordered my R2R-11 directly and he set it up to line-level output as I requested.

AGD is just more music to my ears. Its like it surrounds me

That's it! :)

Jan 28, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #9,877 of 11,276
The Audio-GD HE-1 LE.

http://audio-gd.com/HE/HE1L/HE1LEN.htm

"What's different between HE-1 LE and HE-1 MK2:
The HE-1 LE and HE-1 MK2 have share the exact same analog board. The most different is the HE-1 MK2 has built in regenerate power supply that can filter all power line interrupt, feed the most clean power to the analog boards .
The HE-1 LE has built in the linear power supply , benefit from the built in pure class A PSUs that can offer the quite clean power to the analog boards.
If customer want the best sound quality, choice the HE-1 MK2.
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE1MK2/HE1MK2EN.htm
If customer want to get the best rate of performance and price, or already own the good enough external power processor, choice the HE-1 LE ."

Kingwa places a great emphasis on power supplies and it seems to me that is a major reason for the great sound. Again, the non HE versions don't sound like crap, they're still great. But they could be greater still, and that's the HE version.

Jan 28, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #9,878 of 11,276
Kingwa places a great emphasis on power supplies and it seems to me that is a major reason for the great sound. Again, the non HE versions don't sound like crap, they're still great. But they could be greater still, and that's the HE version.
Thanks for your help gimmeheadroom!
So there are still improvements in SQ to be gained by having the HE versions (digital interface, dac, preamp) plugged in an external power regenerator like my PS Audio P3, compared to the non-HE versions plugged in the P3 ?

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #9,879 of 11,276
So there are still improvements in SQ to be gained by having the HE versions (digital interface, dac, preamp) plugged in an external power regenerator like my PS Audio P3, compared to the non-HE versions plugged in the P3 ?
I have not tried it and I would not try it. I think there were a few comments by people who did upthread.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #9,880 of 11,276
How good is the Master 7 singularity?
It has eight PCM 1704UK, like the HE7.

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #9,881 of 11,276
After I plugged the Flux-50 on the main cable into my iFi Powerstation. I noticed a really pure background. Enhanched more open sound vs passive strip.

I think good power conditioner will improve as long as it cleans the right frequencies. My iFi Powerstation was really boring before the Flux-50 connection. Now it feels more open and clean.

If you look at the R-Core transformer specs its 145W, its way over the power consumption(HE-1 LE 35W). Power supply plays a big role NOT only in clean/filtering, but speed and responsiveness. Kingwa does not cheap out on his design, its clear to me he has a vision for his passion.

REG PSU(HE version) may clean more, but I think it acts as a buffer also to deliver the boards steady power(speed and respons), if there should be any weakness on the main outlet(wall)

No matter how you put it aim for what you can afford. If I had the money I would go HE-9 MK2 instead of HE-9 LE. Why?
-because LE version rely more on my power strip and flux50 than the HE version does.

I have read some users being sceptic against the HE/REG on different forums, saying they don´t hear a difference in filtering quality etc.
-Well if you already provide clean power, with a good conditioner where is the improvements?
-It all depends on how you listen to the music, when moving up in the highend league. A cheap dac today also has a lot of resolution, but this is only the first stage. The next stage is probably where Kingwas PSU design kicks in with his remarkable DAC/AMP design = Power, Speed, Character(texture), Rythm/Timing.

There may be 1-5% or more difference between R8HE MK2 vs R7HE MK2, experiencing what my master clock makes of a difference(1-5%)
- I would buy the most expensive, If I could afford it. Im saying this knowing that with my current AGD setup was still over my satisfaction point.

(AGD has a really good wet/saturated sound, even the headamp add some of this sweetness to the dry dS dacs)

Rule of thumb: buy the most expensive your money can reach when it comes to AGD. You will get atleast 3 times the worth back, no matter what you settle for.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #9,882 of 11,276
How good is the Master 7 singularity?
It has eight PCM 1704UK, like the HE7.
I have two older M7s. One is the original M7 that I upgraded to Singularity and also a factory M7 Singularity (called Singularity 7). Kingwa tweaked the analog board design on the factory M7 Singularity to lower distortion and the result is slightly crisper highs. Accusilicon TXCOs made both of these DACs sound better (less warm/ more detail). Have since recapped the original M7S conversion and updated the factory M7 Singularity to 2020 Singularity board so it can use an external 10M clock. So if looking at older M7S I would look for a date code greater than Feb. 2017 for true Singularity analog board changes. Not many were built as the R2R 7 was released summer of 2017.

The HE7 mk2 is highly recommended. The MK2 digital board changes are significant. I love the HE7 mk2 and use it every day. It is worth the money. The HE7 mk2 is less warm compared to the older M7S and has more detail/ resolution and smoother in the highs. All three of these DACs have the PCM1704 charm in the mid-range. Yet the HE7 mk2 compares favorably to the R7HE mk2. The R7 MK2 has slightly more detail and resolution but is a touch thinner in the mid-range compared to the colored PCM1704s. I listen to a lot of old PCM music and the HE7 mk2 is great for this. If you want maximum detail/resolution and DSD support the R7HE mk2 is recommended.

Story... In 2015 I bought a gen 1 Schiit Iggy and used it exclusively for 6 months. It was thin and lean compared to the original M7 driven by an Off Ramp 5 DDC. The M7 was much more dynamic and sounded like music. The Schiit had great vocals but hated the design. Took forever to break in and had to leave power on continually or sounded rough for days. Kingwa's DACs sound great at power on and better after 30 minutes warm up.

The old M7s could be a deal if you can get them for a good price. But will be warmer and less rez compared to the MK2 version.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Singularity 7/Singularity 7EN.htm

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #9,883 of 11,276
I have two older M7s. One is the original M7 that I upgraded to Singularity and also a factory M7 Singularity (called Singularity 7). Kingwa tweaked to analog board design on the factory M7 Singularity to lower distortion and the result is slightly crisper highs. Accusilicon TXCOs made both of these DACs sound better (less warm/ more detail). Have since recapped the original M7S conversion and updated the factory M7 Singularity to 2020 Singularity board so it can use an external 10M clock. So if looking at older M7S I would look for a date code greater than Feb. 2017 for true Singularity analog board changes. Not many were built as the R2R 7 was released summer of 2017.

The HE7 mk2 is highly recommended. The MK2 digital board changes are significant. I love the HE7 mk2 and use it every day. It is worth the money. The HE7 mk2 is less warm compared to the older M7S and has more detail/ resolution and smoother in the highs. All three of these DACs have the PCM1704 charm in the mid-range. Yet the HE7 mk2 compares favorably to the R7HE mk2. The R7 MK2 has slightly more detail and resolution but is a touch thinner in the mid-range compared to the colored PCM1704s. I listen to a lot of old PCM music and the HE7 mk2 is great for this. If you want maximum detail/resolution and DSD support the R7HE mk2 is recommended.

Story... In 2015 I bought a gen 1 Schiit Iggy and used it exclusively for 6 months. It was thin and lean compared to the original M7 driven by an Off Ramp 5 DDC. The M7 was much more dynamic and sounded like music. The Schiit had great vocals but hated the design. Took forever to break in and had to leave power on continually or sounded rough for days. Kingwa's DACs sound great at power on and better after 30 minutes warm up.

The old M7s could be a deal if you can get them for a good price. But will be warmer and less rez compared to the MK2 version.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Singularity 7/Singularity 7EN.htm
Thank you for the detailed information.
There's a guy who sells a Singularity 7, and I was wondering if it's worth buying it as a second DAC for its 1704UK converters.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #9,884 of 11,276
There's a guy who sells a Singularity 7, and I was wondering if it's worth buying it as a second DAC for its 1704UK converters.
There is never a question whether it's worth buying a piece of Audio-gd gear! The only question is if there is enough money, space, and cabling :wink:

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #9,885 of 11,276
If you have a great ddc to go with it, it should really perform very well. So worth buying as far as i can say. You can consider upgrading the clocks on it, although not mandatory. I love the pcm 1704uk sound. You can consider having accusillicons installed in it. This would bring resolution up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back