New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #8,476 of 11,260
R8HE in-the-field Upgrade to 10M Clock Input

Summary:
Refinement of space, naturalness and preciseness in the realm of individual instruments and voices. A new sense of individual instrument/voice holography within the grand holography of the entire soundstage. Any previous vagueness of out-of-phase recorded instruments now snaps into focus in addition to bowling alley depth in some recordings.
I mentioned to Kingwa that if it is true that the linearity of the DAC is only ~80dB as purportedly measured by ASR, then the textbook measurements that are aspired to have less [perhaps no] relevance to the listening experience that I have intuitively aspired to and now embrace with this DAC.
In short, this was "The best listening experience I ever had".

:) Ha!

This is after about 40 hours of burn-in with a brand new .5M DH Labs Silver Sonic BNC cable. Kingwa mentioned that the new configuration of the FPGA will require 100 hours before full stability. A lot of holography improvement has occurred from 24 to 40 hours.

While the HW portion of the upgrade is straightforward conceptually - replacing the coax input with 75ohm BNC and swapping out the display, it was by no means a walk in the park in terms of its execution.
I imagine the display replacement on an R8 might be somewhat less involved vs. the R8HE where at least in my unit, with no supplied step-by-step instructions, I had to use a sharp knife to cut the two tie wraps tying the existing three ribbons to the incoming AC cord running underneath the regenerator board. Not knowing at the time that the new display is not backwards compatible to issued production FW as well as whether I'd need to back out of the upgrade for some unknown issue, rather than cut the connectors off the ends of the ribbons I went through the tedious process of unscrewing the aluminum partition holding the three transformers so the ribbons/connectors could be pulled out from the digital section. Also on the HE version, I unseated the main regenerator transformer to have access to pulling the new power ribbon into the middle of the chassis where it plugs into the transformer power board. Illustrations of the board connectors and ribbon identifiers on the new display board were provided. If you're going for the [in-the-field] upgrade, tie a wire or string to the ends of the ribbons before pulling them out so you can most easily [ha!] pull the new ribbons back into place.
On my R8HE, I had to pull the USB Blaster ribbon off the digital board which was covering up hidden circuit board pins for the new fourth ribbon from the display which provides the new feature of displaying incoming sample rate. I forgot to plug the USB Blaster ribbon back onto the board which was the culprit of my issue with the new FW update.
In terms of the new display installation [along with gaining access to cutting the cable ties underneath the regenerator board], the front panel needed to be unbolted from the sides to gain access to the bottom screws of the display board as the main regenerator transformer is mounted directly behind it. On my R8HE, it put some strain on the AC wires soldered to the front panel switch.
Also, the new off-the-shelf display momentary switch buttons are about 5mm long vs. the ~1mm needed for the retrofit. A thin washer placed over the buttons of the approximate height allowing a precision wire cutter to trim to a consistent height did the trick. I did have to follow up with a slight Dremel Tool trim on one button that was not releasing upon the first display install attempt. I also replaced the Philips screws underneath the chassis securing the middle panel with button head allen head screws as the weight of the three transformers requires the panel to be cranked down tightly. In addition to the two existing coax wires needing to be soldered to the new BNC connector, one very small surface mount resistor needs to be desoldered to one of the digital board ribbon connectors.
I purchased the Neutrik 75ohm BNC thru Parts Express $15 [where the shipping was more expensive than the $6 part].
I'd get the BNC through Kingwa along with the display. The display was $58 inclusive of DHL shipping which arrived in about 4 days.
If your heart wants it, then I say, "Go for it!".
I do not know Kingwa's timeline to post the upgrade to the website.

Supplemental to an inquiry regarding the distinction between 10M clock input to the SingXer SU-2 DDI vs. the DAC, my observations with the R8HE are as follows:

Before the addition of the external 10M clock to the SingXer SU-2, I felt the addition of the USB to IIS DDI was marginal.
After the clock input to the SU-2, the soundstage widened by 10%-15% along with across-the-board SQ refinements.

After adding 10M clock to the R8HE, the 180 degree soundstage width didn't really change but the refinement and delineation of instruments/voices within the soundstage took on a new dimension of refinement in my setup. I listen exclusively through speakers spaced 13' apart at about a 100 degree listening angle.

The End.

Finally, a heartfelt "Thank you" to Kingwa for his generosity, and making a significant difference to our hobby.

I hope this summary was useful.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #8,477 of 11,260
R8HE in-the-field Upgrade to 10M Clock Input

Summary:
Refinement of space, naturalness and preciseness in the realm of individual instruments and voices. A new sense of individual instrument/voice holography within the grand holography of the entire soundstage. Any previous vagueness of out-of-phase recorded instruments now snaps into focus in addition to bowling alley depth in some recordings.
I mentioned to Kingwa that if it is true that the linearity of the DAC is only ~80dB as purportedly measured by ASR, then the textbook measurements that are aspired to have less [perhaps no] relevance to the listening experience that I have intuitively aspired to and now embrace with this DAC.
In short, this was "The best listening experience I ever had".

:) Ha!

This is after about 40 hours of burn-in with a brand new .5M DH Labs Silver Sonic BNC cable. Kingwa mentioned that the new configuration of the FPGA will require 100 hours before full stability. A lot of holography improvement has occurred from 24 to 40 hours.

While the HW portion of the upgrade is straightforward conceptually - replacing the coax input with 75ohm BNC and swapping out the display, it was by no means a walk in the park in terms of its execution.
I imagine the display replacement on an R8 might be somewhat less involved vs. the R8HE where at least in my unit, with no supplied step-by-step instructions, I had to use a sharp knife to cut the two tie wraps tying the existing three ribbons to the incoming AC cord running underneath the regenerator board. Not knowing at the time that the new display is not backwards compatible to issued production FW as well as whether I'd need to back out of the upgrade for some unknown issue, rather than cut the connectors off the ends of the ribbons I went through the tedious process of unscrewing the aluminum partition holding the three transformers so the ribbons/connectors could be pulled out from the digital section. Also on the HE version, I unseated the main regenerator transformer to have access to pulling the new power ribbon into the middle of the chassis where it plugs into the transformer power board. Illustrations of the board connectors and ribbon identifiers on the new display board were provided. If you're going for the [in-the-field] upgrade, tie a wire or string to the ends of the ribbons before pulling them out so you can most easily [ha!] pull the new ribbons back into place.
On my R8HE, I had to pull the USB Blaster ribbon off the digital board which was covering up hidden circuit board pins for the new fourth ribbon from the display which provides the new feature of displaying incoming sample rate. I forgot to plug the USB Blaster ribbon back onto the board which was the culprit of my issue with the new FW update.
In terms of the new display installation [along with gaining access to cutting the cable ties underneath the regenerator board], the front panel needed to be unbolted from the sides to gain access to the bottom screws of the display board as the main regenerator transformer is mounted directly behind it. On my R8HE, it put some strain on the AC wires soldered to the front panel switch.
Also, the new off-the-shelf display momentary switch buttons are about 5mm long vs. the ~1mm needed for the retrofit. A thin washer placed over the buttons of the approximate height allowing a precision wire cutter to trim to a consistent height did the trick. I did have to follow up with a slight Dremel Tool trim on one button that was not releasing upon the first display install attempt. I also replaced the Philips screws underneath the chassis securing the middle panel with button head allen head screws as the weight of the three transformers requires the panel to be cranked down tightly. In addition to the two existing coax wires needing to be soldered to the new BNC connector, one very small surface mount resistor needs to be desoldered to one of the digital board ribbon connectors.
I purchased the Neutrik 75ohm BNC thru Parts Express $15 [where the shipping was more expensive than the $6 part].
I'd get the BNC through Kingwa along with the display. The display was $58 inclusive of DHL shipping which arrived in about 4 days.
If your heart wants it, then I say, "Go for it!".
I do not know Kingwa's timeline to post the upgrade to the website.

Supplemental to an inquiry regarding the distinction between 10M clock input to the SingXer SU-2 DDI vs. the DAC, my observations with the R8HE are as follows:

Before the addition of the external 10M clock to the SingXer SU-2, I felt the addition of the USB to IIS DDI was marginal.
After the clock input to the SU-2, the soundstage widened by 10%-15% along with across-the-board SQ refinements.

After adding 10M clock to the R8HE, the 180 degree soundstage width didn't really change but the refinement and delineation of instruments/voices within the soundstage took on a new dimension of refinement in my setup. I listen exclusively through speakers spaced 13' apart at about a 100 degree listening angle.

The End.

Finally, a heartfelt "Thank you" to Kingwa for his generosity, and making a significant difference to our hobby.

I hope this summary was useful.

Thanks for the detailed installation steps. I ordered the kits for my R8HE 2021 also, it is on the way. Hopefully I can install it without problems.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #8,478 of 11,260
Thanks for the detailed installation steps. I ordered the kits for my R8HE 2021 also, it is on the way. Hopefully I can install it without problems.
Sent you a PM.

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #8,480 of 11,260
Even though it's only the third day, using the Soundaware D300REF as an I2S source, with or without using it's clock is a noticeable jump up from USB, which sounds more closed-in and dull. What is also apparent is comparing it to the Chord TT2/MScaler stack, which I have plugged in to input 7 (XLR) is the R27 HE very subtly adds in the "rich" sound of an R2R DAC, without doing so overtly.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #8,481 of 11,260
Even though it's only the third day, using the Soundaware D300REF as an I2S source, with or without using it's clock is a noticeable jump up from USB, which sounds more closed-in and dull. What is also apparent is comparing it to the Chord TT2/MScaler stack, which I have plugged in to input 7 (XLR) is the R27 HE very subtly adds in the "rich" sound of an R2R DAC, without doing so overtly.

I saw your video with the MScaler and DAVE and noted your comments pertaining to that pair's ability to deliver additional spacial detail in the back of the soundstage [my words].
Did the Part II of that review get released?
How does the TT2/MScaler compare to the DAVE/MScaler?
In the PGGB forum on Audiophilestyle, many people gave up their MScalers for PGGB running at 16X OS.
I tried a few processed PGGB tracks at 8X OS with the R8HE but didn't hear any additional "There" there.
Can't wait for your impressions on the new AGD gear once it settles in....

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #8,482 of 11,260
I saw your video with the MScaler and DAVE and noted your comments pertaining to that pair's ability to deliver additional spacial detail in the back of the soundstage [my words].
Did the Part II of that review get released?
How does the TT2/MScaler compare to the DAVE/MScaler?
In the PGGB forum on Audiophilestyle, many people gave up their MScalers for PGGB running at 16X OS.
I tried a few processed PGGB tracks at 8X OS with the R8HE but didn't hear any additional "There" there.
Can't wait for your impressions on the new AGD gear once it settles in....
Part II is the MScaler review. More or less, it's going to be an overview of the MScaler features and usage, then whatever I said in the DAVE and TT2 reviews about the effect on the sound, plus some impressions with other DACs.
The DAVE, to me, has that extra something that makes me feel like I'm listening, purely, to the music. Nothing else I've tried has given me that experience.
In a forum/thread about a product, people who discuss that product the most will be people who use it the most, so that's no surprise. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the difference between an MScaler and PGGB will be the different in transport quality. Here's something you cannot do in HQPlayer, with software, or with the R27HE I have here that the MScaler can do: Switch between up-sampling levels with zero interruption. (Though I'm sure the reason for the delay with Kingwa's designs is to prevent the change glitching and the user ending up with distorted audio coming out.)
I don't find that the MScaler makes a big difference with either the Yggdrasil or R27HE, possibly because both only accept only 192k input via coax, but they do seem to have a slight "veil" lifted from the sound, regardless.

I might try PGGB with the USB input, but HQPlayer, since it can be set for 20-bit output, which might be better for the R27HE, is probably preferable. My past experience has been that Kingwa's filters have been pretty excellent, enough that I never found any benefit to external up-sampling. Way better than using a generic AKM up-sampler just to make for nice measurements *cough*.*

*And before anyone thinks I'm just crapping on Holo -- their Azure amp was one of the best I've ever used, and if it weren't for the limited power output, I would have bought the review loaner.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #8,483 of 11,260
Part II is the MScaler review. More or less, it's going to be an overview of the MScaler features and usage, then whatever I said in the DAVE and TT2 reviews about the effect on the sound, plus some impressions with other DACs.
The DAVE, to me, has that extra something that makes me feel like I'm listening, purely, to the music. Nothing else I've tried has given me that experience.
In a forum/thread about a product, people who discuss that product the most will be people who use it the most, so that's no surprise. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the difference between an MScaler and PGGB will be the different in transport quality. Here's something you cannot do in HQPlayer, with software, or with the R27HE I have here that the MScaler can do: Switch between up-sampling levels with zero interruption. (Though I'm sure the reason for the delay with Kingwa's designs is to prevent the change glitching and the user ending up with distorted audio coming out.)
I don't find that the MScaler makes a big difference with either the Yggdrasil or R27HE, possibly because both only accept only 192k input via coax, but they do seem to have a slight "veil" lifted from the sound, regardless.

I might try PGGB with the USB input, but HQPlayer, since it can be set for 20-bit output, which might be better for the R27HE, is probably preferable. My past experience has been that Kingwa's filters have been pretty excellent, enough that I never found any benefit to external up-sampling. Way better than using a generic AKM up-sampler just to make for nice measurements *cough*.*

*And before anyone thinks I'm just crapping on Holo -- their Azure amp was one of the best I've ever used, and if it weren't for the limited power output, I would have bought the review loaner.
I appreciate the diversity of relevant experiences you share...

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #8,484 of 11,260
Amanero USB Update

My R8HE is from Aug 2019 so it requires shorting the USB board pins to erase the FW.
I soldered two leads to the circuit board to make it easy to erase going forward but it appears I didn't need to as the program skipped this step and told me I had successfully updated the FW...
I shorted them anyway just to be sure and ran the install program a second time.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #8,485 of 11,260
Hi guys,
One question a little bit off topic.

Has anyone of you tried a good LAN cable before your system, in your home network? I mean, I have to change about 100 feet of exterior LAN cable that goes from the Modem/Router to my system and I would like to know if spending more on a good (not audiophile) cable will improve things out.

By the way, I installed a fiber converter before my system and it improved de SQ. It was not huge, but noticeably. I've got a more analog sound. So, cables and everything matters in digital, as we all know, at least a few feet before to the system.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #8,486 of 11,260
Hi guys,
One question a little bit off topic.

Has anyone of you tried a good LAN cable before your system, in your home network? I mean, I have to change about 100 feet of exterior LAN cable that goes from the Modem/Router to my system and I would like to know if spending more on a good (not audiophile) cable will improve things out.

By the way, I installed a fiber converter before my system and it improved de SQ. It was not huge, but noticeably. I've got a more analog sound. So, cables and everything matters in digital, as we all know, at least a few feet before to the system.
Not sure I have a definitive answer for your setup, but perhaps a few things for you to consider....
I had 50' of in-wall Cat 6 UTP LAN cable from router to audio room and decided to try complete isolation using an inexpensive back2back fiber repeater -
TP-Link MC100CM [$40 - Amazon] connected with 1m of fiber and separate LPSs with the repeater connection to the audio equipment powered on the same audio AC circuit.
As you noted, a slight improvement.
Then I replaced the Cat 6 entirely [its what we do, right? :) ] and moved one repeater adjacent to the router and powered it off the router AC circuit, ran 50' of fiber optic cable [$28] and got another slightly better result.
I've since run another 50' of unterminated Supra Cat 8 STP cable favorably reviewed by AudioBacon -
https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/31/s...view-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/
which I still haven't terminated yet, as another alternative to eventually size up against the complete isolation of the fiber.
I've tried several 1m Ethernet cables between my server and player and found that better cables there make a bigger difference, including isolation using an Uptone Audio EtherRegen. FWIW.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #8,487 of 11,260
Not sure I have a definitive answer for your setup, but perhaps a few things for you to consider....
I had 50' of in-wall Cat 6 UTP LAN cable from router to audio room and decided to try complete isolation using an inexpensive back2back fiber repeater -
TP-Link MC100CM [$40 - Amazon] connected with 1m of fiber and separate LPSs with the repeater connection to the audio equipment powered on the same audio AC circuit.
As you noted, a slight improvement.
Then I replaced the Cat 6 entirely [its what we do, right? :) ] and moved one repeater adjacent to the router and powered it off the router AC circuit, ran 50' of fiber optic cable [$28] and got another slightly better result.
I've since run another 50' of unterminated Supra Cat 8 STP cable favorably reviewed by AudioBacon -
https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/31/s...view-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/
which I still haven't terminated yet, as another alternative to eventually size up against the complete isolation of the fiber.
I've tried several 1m Ethernet cables between my server and player and found that better cables there make a bigger difference, including isolation using an Uptone Audio EtherRegen. FWIW.
Well, what you describe are my thoughts.

I have about 100' of CAT6 cable > fiber converter > fiber > Cisco switch > Supra CAT8 LAN cable > Etherregen > Supra CAT8 LAN cable > SOtM SMS-200 Neo SE streamer and the result is very very good. If I have to change 100' of cable for a minor improvement, it's not worth it. Also it's impossible to make a direct comparison between long cable runs as they need to be installed and takes considerable time, so minor differences could be only mind generated.

I will try in the next few weeks a 0.5m long chinese pure silver ethernet cable between my ER and the SMS-200 vs my 0.5m long Supra CAT8 cable and I will post my impressions.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #8,489 of 11,260
is Gustard C18 a good choice for R8HE? I have my eyes on this clock, but its output impudence is 50ohm.
Audio-gd clocks, and most hifi clock input is 50 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back