New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 11, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #4,501 of 11,260
How'd you know? Let me guess, you've talked to Kingwa or been reading his forums?

Greg's speakers are very easy to drive, I probably would've just stayed with my tube amp if I went with the Monument.

1000 hours would take me about a year! 300 sounds much more reasonable and from what I've read it's also the time it takes to burn-in the Dukes.
A friend of mine ordered a set lately. And you know who i am talking about.

Really, it takes an eternity for a non feedback amp to break-in. But a tough load should speed it up.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #4,502 of 11,260
My only reference for class-a amplification is the Moon i-5 operating at low power. It's an excellent integrated, but the m3 is much better. Smoother, richer, more resolved, neutral and transparent. A lot better with bass control.

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #4,503 of 11,260
A friend of mine ordered a set lately. And you know who i am talking about.

Hmm unfortunately I don't, I think you got me confused with someone else who coincidentally also bought a pair of the Dukes ha ha :) Glad to see the brand gaining popularity though.

Never listened to the Moon i5 specifically, however I have listened to a few integrated models of Moon, I also listened to the Moon 430HA before purchasing the HE9. Never been a big fan of Moon.

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #4,504 of 11,260
Hmm unfortunately I don't, I think you got me confused with someone else who coincidentally also bought a pair of the Dukes ha ha :) Glad to see the brand gaining popularity though.

Never listened to the Moon i5 specifically, however I have listened to a few integrated models of Moon, I also listened to the Moon 430HA before purchasing the HE9. Never been a big fan of Moon.
I was a big fan but they are so expensive now. I heard their 3k cd/dac last year and thought i prefered the sound of my r2r-11. Too colored a sound for me.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #4,507 of 11,260
With all these new updates, I wonder how the R7 compares to the Master 7. I love the PCM1704UK sound and can't demo audio-gd gear :frowning2:

@FredA 's comments summed up the R7/M7 differences very well. In the past few months I've upgraded the oscillators in a S7 (factory M7S) and my old M7S. We discussed these latest changes in this thread starting in late March 2019. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...tor-ladder-dacs.853902/page-254#post-14859538

But the old M7 is very capable and sounds better with the digital board and Accusilicon XO changes. However the latest changes only take the M7s so far. The R7 has less bloated bass, better highs, more detail, better vocals, and very transparent compared to the warmer M7 DACs. For me the R7 picks up where the M7 leaves off soundwise. The R7 though retains (thankfully) the M7-like dynamic presentation (AGD house sound) that makes rhythmic music come alive.

If I get nostalgic DSP NOS mode 3 on the R7 sounds much like the M7. Warmer sounding and prominent bass. As a result the R7 is more versatile than the M7 DACs. I was very shocked when I received the R7 (last summer) how much I liked it compared the the M7 DACs. Very easy transition if you are looking for more precision, clarity, and transparency.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #4,508 of 11,260
@FredA 's comments summed up the R7/M7 differences very well. In the past few months I've upgraded the oscillators in a S7 (factory M7S) and my old M7 (2013). We discuss these latest changes in this thread starting in late March 2019. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...tor-ladder-dacs.853902/page-254#post-14859538

But the old M7 is very capable and sounds better with the digital board and Accusilicon XO changes. However the latest changes only take the M7s so far. The R7 is less bloated, has better highs, more detail, better vocals, and very transparent compared to the warmer M7 DACs. For me the R7 picks up where the M7 leaves off soundwise. The R7 though retains (thankfully) the M7-like dynamic presentation (AGD house sound) that makes rhythmic music come alive.

If I get nostalgic DSP NOS mode 3 on the R7 sounds much like the M7. Warmer sounding and prominent bass. As a result the R7 is more versatile than the M7 DACs. I was very shocked when I received the R7 (last summer) how much I liked it compared the the M7 DACs. It is a very easy transition if you are looking for more precision, clarity, and transparency.
The da-7 boards are now a few notches better then the 1704k, no doubt. But i realized that loosing the very rich midrange of the m7, you have to make adjustments to your setup if you want to keep a similar tonal balance. That is what the m3 brought to my setup. So pairing as always is very important.

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #4,509 of 11,260
my acusilicon-upgraded Master-11 Singularity with PCM1704UK has been singing with gusto for just over 2 months. will never sell the M-11S :)

There is a promotion by AGD's official distributor here in Malaysia until end of the month. Tossing up between ordering an R8 or R7/R7HE. The latter is within reach, but this hobby is a black hole, and i really should just live vicariously through this thread.... but..... the temptation.....

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #4,510 of 11,260
@DACLadder

Scott, don't forget how much the transport matters with any of these dac. The m7 would react very positively to any improvement i make in that direction. Any of these big audio-gd can sing when fed a clean and well clocked signal. For one thing, i still use the intona in my transport chain, it makes a positive difference. Same for the usbridge vs a Pi. The usb cables also bring improvements, as the silver ones i just got off ebay.

Poeple who are thinking about upgrading their dacs should not forget how important the transport it.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #4,511 of 11,260
@FredA I would throw in cables as well but the modded R7 doesn't seem as "tweaky" as the original R2R 7 when it comes to cables. Reducing the glare and grain with the original hardware was the aim at cable swaps. Thankfully with the latest mods I no longer have the 'itch' to constantly swap cables.

But its all about the the total package where the sum of the parts outweigh the the individual components. A good HDMI I2S transport makes a big difference with AGD DACs.- even the original M7.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #4,512 of 11,260
@DACLadder

Scott, don't forget how much the transport matters with any of these dac. The m7 would react very positively to any improvement i make in that direction. Any of these big audio-gd can sing when fed a clean and well clocked signal. For one thing, i still use the intona in my transport chain, it makes a positive difference. Same for the usbridge vs a Pi. The usb cables also bring improvements, as the silver ones i just got off ebay.

Poeple who are thinking about upgrading their dacs should not forget how important the transport it.

Hi FredA, I am in the market for silver cables. Can you point me to which ones you got on eBay?

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #4,513 of 11,260
Jul 12, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #4,514 of 11,260

Users who are viewing this thread

Back