New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 6, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #4,471 of 11,260
Well well well...
Interesting links, you sent me. All of them are showing a great effort from "Dom" of Amanero trying to find a stable solution for Linux and Windows based players. One of them state Amanero as "native DSD besides DoP"...
Despite that, if the problem is solved it's still to be confirmed by long road test. And until then, all manufacturers using Amanero don't want to have issues, so excluding new fw!
Adding to that, consider the fact that Kingwa build his own Amanero under licence, with different layout. So might be not so easy to erase /flash a new effort from Dom...
Welcome guys in the world of non standard!
It is most likely updatable through usb. That should not change anything, i doubt Kingwa's version uses custom firmware.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #4,472 of 11,260
Well well well...
Interesting links, you sent me. All of them are showing a great effort from "Dom" of Amanero trying to find a stable solution for Linux and Windows based players. One of them state Amanero as "native DSD besides DoP"...
Despite that, if the problem is solved it's still to be confirmed by long road test. And until then, all manufacturers using Amanero don't want to have issues, so excluding new fw!
Adding to that, consider the fact that Kingwa build his own Amanero under licence, with different layout. So might be not so easy to erase /flash a new effort from Dom...
Welcome guys in the world of non standard!

There was no problem to solve. The Raspberry squeelite and sms200 ultra worked out of the box with the R7 Amanero and DSD native.
DSD 512 never worked well though, I think this is why the Amanero updates exists.
In all honesty I do not really care about DSD, I tested out of curiosity.

Would be nice if DoP could be supported with the R7, this can also be used with s/pdif

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,473 of 11,260
It is most likely updatable through usb. That should not change anything, i doubt Kingwa's version uses custom firmware.
Yes, the fw is definitely the same. Unfortunately flashing the new fw needs to short two contacts on Amanero board, clearly shown in Amanero site...but when you see the AGD Amanero board, you can't find them coz the board is layouted differently!

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #4,475 of 11,260
36E87D51-441C-4031-8DD6-7145914149FE.jpeg
Yes, the fw is definitely the same. Unfortunately flashing the new fw needs to short two contacts on Amanero board, clearly shown in Amanero site...but when you see the AGD Amanero board, you can't find them coz the board is layouted differently!

You can see them at the bottom of the Amanero more easily. On top is the isolator which makes them hard to see.

Jul 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #4,478 of 11,260
Great! This is a good step beyond...I hope the necessary short can be done without unscrewing the board...
And before it's way too late, congratulations on your dac purchase. It will have some ordinary days during break-in as mine had at this end of last week. Otherwise, it's been a real joy to listen too. Hope you will enjoy as much as i do.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #4,479 of 11,260
Oh thanks guys, didn't anticipate to get not one, but three awesome responses!

[snip]

I thought his Master 3 and 2H amps were already as good as class A amps (class AB without switching distortion), are his class A amps going to be even better in some other way?

My apologies for OT also :)

Sorry for the delay in reply. Any time.

"As good" is always a matter of personal perception. I like the M3 better than some Class A amps. I like a few Class A amps better than the M3. You mentioned the 2Hs, so I assumed you may have space for a pair of Class A monoblocks. I don't know if they'll be "better". I wish I knew more about whether he's going to release the Class A amps or if the rumors are true that he's already put a few out. If he does have them, or will have them - it's a potential consideration.

Not to sidetrack - I love the M3. It's a stunning value IMO particularly when used with a full Audio-Gd ACSS chain from DAC to the amp. If you have the space and the $ for the M2H get those. They are better. If you're curious re: his Class A. Ask if it's coming out and where he thinks it fits in the line. I trust Kingwa. Whnen I was looking for another amp, I asked Kingwa if he'd consider making me a pair of Class A monoblocks, and he politely declined. I definitely wouldn't have waited, but hearing the rumors now makes me very curious... I know I'd love to hear them if they're not an urban myth. Have fun! You really can't make a poor choice IMO.

(back to regular conversations)

I have a few weeks on the new DA-7 V2 boards and the Accusilcons. I just changed to the new firmware to swap between TDA-Asy and TDA-Syn. I need more time. TDA-Syn has some issues with NOS with my Singxer SU-1 over HDMI, but not with other inputs as best I can tell. I need to troubleshoot.

I had a number of friends listen to the TDA-Asy over the last couple weeks with the new boards and clocks. Although audio memory is an odd thing... most everyone asked what I'd done to make the system sound better. Currently Asynchronous without the TDA simulation, with dither and OS8, is my go to setting. However, there is something about the new NOS that I really like, particularly for recordings that can be a bit edgy. The fact that we can switch with the front panel so easily is phenomenal.

Also thanks to @DACLadder - I think I can update my R-1 DA-8 boards to the new firmware with the Xilinx software. I'll be curious to try DSD again. I just need to take the time to do it. I'm looking forward to blind A/Bing the R-1 and R-8 just for fun with a few friends.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #4,480 of 11,260
Sorry....<snip>

.....Also thanks to @DACLadder - I think I can update my R-1 DA-8 boards to the new firmware with the Xilinx software. I'll be curious to try DSD again. I just need to take the time to do it. I'm looking forward to blind A/Bing the R-1 and R-8 just for fun with a few friends.

Wow! A/B of R-1 vs R-8 would be a phenomenal comparison... hope you get the time for even a short evaluation....
I think a fully upgraded R-1 (with somewhat clean mains power) could be the DAC value of the century - especially considering the input/output options and adjustable front panel filter settings...

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #4,481 of 11,260
Wow! A/B of R-1 vs R-8 would be a phenomenal comparison... hope you get the time for even a short evaluation....
I think a fully upgraded R-1 (with somewhat clean mains power) could be the DAC value of the century - especially considering the input/output options and adjustable front panel filter settings...
I compared the two "stock" several months ago with headphones. I could generally, but not always pick out the R-8. I got the R-1 with an NFB-1 first. When I knew I was moving back to the US, I got the "larger pieces" of gear for use with loudspeakers. However, I couldn't resist comparing. R-1 to R-8 and NFB-1 to Master 9 and combos with headphones as soon as I got them. I have yet to compare the two with loudspeakers except to say that when I was updating the R-8 boards and clocks, I put the R-1 in its place. I heard a difference when I put it in, and I heard a difference when I put the R-8 back. However, I want to do it blind and with the updated firmware on the R-1.

I think the R-1 is an astonishing value. I still use it as one of my primary headphone DACs. I want someone to blind test me... I know I'm biased toward the R-8. I just want to prove I can tell the difference with my loudspeaker system. I don't have "golden ears", so others may hear more plankton :wink: and could possibly appreciate more subtle differences.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #4,482 of 11,260
And before it's way too late, congratulations on your dac purchase. It will have some ordinary days during break-in as mine had at this end of last week. Otherwise, it's been a real joy to listen too. Hope you will enjoy as much as i do.

Thanks Fred. I'm still confused discovering how much R7HE is better than my glorious old Audio Note dac4 Signature, and I can't imagine it can further improve. It's not just matter of technology...psst, don't tell anyone that I betrayed tubes!!! (Ahem, not on amp side, of course...)

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #4,483 of 11,260
Thanks Fred. I'm still confused discovering how much R7HE is better than my glorious old Audio Note dac4 Signature, and I can't imagine it can further improve. It's not just matter of technology...psst, don't tell anyone that I betrayed tubes!!! (Ahem, not on amp side, of course...)
Tubes are nice but with Kingwa's non feedback output stage, things are as smooth and more neutral that most tube stages out there.

Normally, an audio-gd gear takes between 700 and 1000 hours to reach 99% of its potential and around 6 months to reach 100%. Both conditions are needed.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #4,484 of 11,260
Tubes are nice but with Kingwa's non feedback output stage, things are as smooth and more neutral that most tube stages out there.

Normally, an audio-gd gear takes between 700 and 1000 hours to reach 99% of its potential and around 6 months to reach 100%. Both conditions are needed.

I have no more than 50 hrs on my R7HE and wonderful yet. Can't imagine what will be when I'll reach 1000 hrs! Anyway, my amps are hand made, totally dht starting from preamp, 845 power tubes, with no fb at all. I was a bit anxious, I'm generally a bit conservative lol, but it's a nice match with Kingwa's transistors...

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,485 of 11,260
I have no more than 50 hrs on my R7HE and wonderful yet. Can't imagine what will be when I'll reach 1000 hrs! Anyway, my amps are hand made, totally dht starting from preamp, 845 power tubes, with no fb at all. I was a bit anxious, I'm generally a bit conservative lol, but it's a nice match with Kingwa's transistors...
Kingwa's sound is very natural. Easy to listen to for long hours. It will pair up very well with a transparent setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back