New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #4,456 of 11,260
Another point on the m3: it is now without feedback, so it has the same signature as the headphones amps like the M9.

This means this is an amp that is very sensitive to power cables.

The main advantage with the zero feedback design is it allows for more accuracy in the microdynamics. Some album like Jim Hall Concierto become addictive and won't be nearly as good through the nc500. Same for Blue Train.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #4,458 of 11,260
Hello everyone. I've just bought, after long study, a fantastic audio gd R7HE of very last generation, with all ultimate original tweaks built in: crystek on Amanero, usb isolator, Accusilicons. Fw is last Asy one. I coupled it with another little champion, Auralic Aries G1. For the moment I am happy to link them with an Audioquest Diamond USB cable. Soundwise I can't be more satisfied, but I am discovering some side annoying compatibility issue between them...being Aries Linux based, Amanero allows just DoP DSD. It means that I can't play ANY native DSD file, of any kind: just DoP 64 &128. Both gears are sold as up to DSD 512 native compatible, but they just can't do that together. I'm a bit upset of course, and trying to understand if there is a solution. Singxer F1 would solve? A new Amanero fw would help? If someone has some info about this topic, I will be grateful!

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #4,459 of 11,260
Hello everyone. I've just bought, after long study, a fantastic audio gd R7HE of very last generation, with all ultimate original tweaks built in: crystek on Amanero, usb isolator, Accusilicons. Fw is last Asy one. I coupled it with another little champion, Auralic Aries G1. For the moment I am happy to link them with an Audioquest Diamond USB cable. Soundwise I can't be more satisfied, but I am discovering some side annoying compatibility issue between them...being Aries Linux based, Amanero allows just DoP DSD. It means that I can't play ANY native DSD file, of any kind: just DoP 64 &128. Both gears are sold as up to DSD 512 native compatible, but they just can't do that together. I'm a bit upset of course, and trying to understand if there is a solution. Singxer F1 would solve? A new Amanero fw would help? If someone has some info about this topic, I will be grateful!

The R2R7(HE) only does DSD native, it doesn't play DoP because it can't handle this protocol at all. (maybe the Amanero can, but the R7HE DSP can't)
The only option is use DSD native with R7HE, Amanero USB can do DSD native for sure!
Your source requires to be able to play DSD native format, otherwise it won't fly

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,460 of 11,260
Well...I'm afraid you are right and wrong in the same time, lol!
The Amanero board is not working with Linux based native dsd, and Auralic is Linux based. Even if I set Aries to output all DSD formats in native mode, they can't be recognised by Amanero.
Amanero has an upgrade that is able to handle native DSD from a Linux based audio device but… many manufacturers are reluctant to update because of stability issues.
There are drivers for Windows10. So you can play native DSD from any Windows platform. The truth is that neither AGD nor Auralic are really clear on this point. Auralic somewhere fastly state the need of a Linux based compatibility, on dac side but I falled into the trap anyway...Singxer F1? Any experience out there?

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4,461 of 11,260
The Amanero board is not working with Linux based native dsd, and Auralic is Linux based. Even if I set Aries to output all DSD formats in native mode, they can't be recognised by Amanero.
Amanero has an upgrade that is able to handle native DSD from a Linux based audio device but… many manufacturers are reluctant to update because of stability issues.
There are drivers for Windows10. So you can play native DSD from any Windows platform. The truth is that neither AGD nor Auralic are really clear on this point. Auralic somewhere fastly state the need of a Linux based compatibility, on dac side but I falled into the trap anyway...Singxer F1? Any experience out there?
Native dsd256 would work with my f-1 connected through rj45 i2s. It sounded very well. I have stuttering issues playing dsd256 using the u16.

The question is, will the f1 translate DoP to native dsd before outputting it to i2s... Maybe. But you need an i2s connection. Just me 2 cents.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #4,462 of 11,260
My third set of Accusilicon XOs arrive today from Audio GD. Destined for my old, old Master 7 (2013) with Singularity digital board (2017) that I will make ready to sell to some lucky person. Will probably change the analog boards op amps as well. My other PCM1704 DAC (S7) is the desert island DAC and a keeper.

The internal Singxer F1 IN6 and SU-6 IN5 HDMI I2S were compared using TDA Asy DAC firmaware. The SU-6 is touch more transparent. Slight vagueness with the F1 that you can notice in vocal sibilance, note attack (cymbals), and narrower soundstage. The F1 sounds very good though but R7 is so revealing that it is easy to spot the differences.

The Gustard U16 and Singxer SU-6 HDMI I2S are kings of the DDCs. Both sound great with the modded R7! I'm still using the $12.50 SU-6 switching power supply. I see no reason to swap at this time.
Were you able to do DSD256 and DXD with Gustard?

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #4,463 of 11,260
I use F-1 and Linux based Euphony. I cannot do native DSD with the F-1, and need to receive as DoP. But I think it does not really matter much, the F1 supposedly will decode the DoP to native DSD and send via I2S to the DAC board. (note there has been a huge debate earlier on this thread about the terminology of native DSD and whether I2S even can take native DSD, so someone here may object to my language/semantics) Someone also stated that "native DSD" displayed on certain devices are not even truly "native" but carried as some sort of pseudo 1 bit signal (do I make any sense at all?? )

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #4,464 of 11,260
The Amanero board is not working with Linux based native dsd, and Auralic is Linux based.

You are wrong twice :)
The SOtM sMS200 ULTRA is a linux based streamer. The only way to get it working with the R7 is to enable DSD native in its configuration. In DoP mode no sound.
I have also successfully tested native DSD on a raspberry pi running Squeezelite.
When using e.g. Foobar (Windows) its exactly the same: Only native DSD works.
None of the USB interfaces converts DoP to Native. I suspect people who run DoP are actually playing PCM and not DSD DoP. I had same with Foobar in beginning.
On the Singer F1 there is a DSD LED, this will be ON when DSD is processed.

Linux can process native DSD: https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd
Here another example of native DSD with linux: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Thread-Native-DSD-linux-4-4-9-rt17
They state: "Kernel dated 20181024 updated to include native DSD support for Amanero Combo"
And this one: https://www.ropieee.org/audio_hardware/ the Amanero on top of the list
RoPieee supports, besides DoP (DSD over PCM), native DSD on the following USB DAC’s: "Amanero Combo384 USB interface"

Conclusion:
If the Auralics cannot play native DSD its a limitation of Auralics implementation, not a limitation of Linux.
Audio-GD R2R can process native DSD and PCM. It cannot handle DSD by using DoP.

I would try to update the Amanero and see if that works with native DSD on your Auralics.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #4,465 of 11,260
Were you able to do DSD256 and DXD with Gustard?

Haven't tried DXD but with DSD on the latest R7 hardware I get mixed results with the various DDCs. Singxer F1 all DSD speeds play OK, Gustard U16 at DSD128 has issues, and with the Singxer SU-6 no DSD speed plays back OK. But I haven't tried DSD in months. I am currently listening to the M7S where DSD converted to PCM is the only method for playback.

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,466 of 11,260
Haven't tried DXD but with DSD on the latest R7 hardware I get mixed results with the various DDCs. Singxer F1 all DSD speeds play OK, Gustard U16 at DSD128 has issues, and with the Singxer SU-6 no DSD speed plays back OK. But I haven't tried DSD in months. I am currently listening to the M7S where DSD converted to PCM is the only method for playback.
Sorry what do you mean by: "SU-6 no DSD speed plays back OK"

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4,467 of 11,260
Sorry what do you mean by: "SU-6 no DSD speed plays back OK"

SU-6 connected to HDMI I2S I could not get the R7 to play DSD without noise and artifacts on any speed. I reported the above results after changing to V2 DAC modules. And my results may not be indicative of what others might experience with the similar equipment.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,470 of 11,260
You are wrong twice :)
The SOtM sMS200 ULTRA is a linux based streamer. The only way to get it working with the R7 is to enable DSD native in its configuration. In DoP mode no sound.
I have also successfully tested native DSD on a raspberry pi running Squeezelite.
When using e.g. Foobar (Windows) its exactly the same: Only native DSD works.
None of the USB interfaces converts DoP to Native. I suspect people who run DoP are actually playing PCM and not DSD DoP. I had same with Foobar in beginning.
On the Singer F1 there is a DSD LED, this will be ON when DSD is processed.

Linux can process native DSD: https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd
Here another example of native DSD with linux: https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Thread-Native-DSD-linux-4-4-9-rt17
They state: "Kernel dated 20181024 updated to include native DSD support for Amanero Combo"
And this one: https://www.ropieee.org/audio_hardware/ the Amanero on top of the list
RoPieee supports, besides DoP (DSD over PCM), native DSD on the following USB DAC’s: "Amanero Combo384 USB interface"

Conclusion:
If the Auralics cannot play native DSD its a limitation of Auralics implementation, not a limitation of Linux.
Audio-GD R2R can process native DSD and PCM. It cannot handle DSD by using DoP.

I would try to update the Amanero and see if that works with native DSD on your Auralics.

Well well well...
Interesting links, you sent me. All of them are showing a great effort from "Dom" of Amanero trying to find a stable solution for Linux and Windows based players. One of them state Amanero as "native DSD besides DoP"...
Despite that, if the problem is solved it's still to be confirmed by long road test. And until then, all manufacturers using Amanero don't want to have issues, so excluding new fw!
Adding to that, consider the fact that Kingwa build his own Amanero under licence, with different layout. So might be not so easy to erase /flash a new effort from Dom...
Welcome guys in the world of non standard!

Users who are viewing this thread

• PLGA
Back