New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 14, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #4,531 of 11,260
So what's the best $10k dac these days? Please don't say Dave.. -_-

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #4,533 of 11,260
We would hwve to do a big shoutout to know for sure and do a proper integration of each dac. Swap cables if needed. I don't care much.

For an all audio-gd setup, acss brings a significant advantage. A 100$ diy interconnect can sound like a 1000+ ref cable. So it's not just the dac itself.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #4,534 of 11,260
I hope Kingwa does not roll out a new flagship model any time soon! I'm still evaluating the last two flagship models.

But a new flagship DAC would signal major breakthrough in technology and direction. The technology would roll down to lower cost products where the real money is made in volume. The R7/R7-HE has just recently caught wind and selling in larger numbers so I say "ride the wave". I think we will see more sideways products in the next few months at least!

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #4,535 of 11,260
R7HE obviously.

But if R2R isn't the sound you're after, I think the EAR Yoshino DAC 4 is better than the Chord Dave, and it's cheaper too.
What about TotalDAC D1 CORE? $4700 euros

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #4,537 of 11,260
What about TotalDAC D1 CORE? $4700 euros

Hi-fi to me is about getting as close to the original recording as possible. The TotalDAC doesn't allow me to do that. It is a warm sounding DAC, I really can't take it seriously. If you're after a sound that is "nice" but not "realistic" they will be a better choice than anything Audio-GD has to offer currently.

If you're serious about getting a TotalDAC, consider the d1-single or above, the better output stage adds better overall refinement to the sound. They also offer a home demo of you're interested.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #4,538 of 11,260
For those considering an audio-gd m3, i will state again that it has an ultra-long burn-in period. I swear it is still getting better after 1000 hours. But it is hard to separate the r7he burn-in improvments from the m3's.

All i can say is that my setup is becoming ridiculously good. Can't imagine what adding the HE-1 or HE-9 could do. As it is for @Jackula, I aim at getting the most lifelike music reproduction. Sort of a time machine transporting me back to the sweet spot of the recording premises. I know this is Kingwa's design goal and he is getting closer and closer. Life is good between the four walls of my listening room. I feel like applauding Chet on his sublime interpretation of The Touch of Your Lips while i write this.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #4,539 of 11,260
Has anyone experienced any issue with their DAC's XLR balanced output? I am beginning to wonder of one of my output is causing some distortions since when I switched back to RCA unbalanced that distortion is reduced or gone. Now I have tried another DAC with balanced output and the distortion is much less (more tolerable), I am not sure if it is too revealing or some defect but at times it seems to be definitely abnormal distortion or clipping-like sounds. I think it is only on 1 channel.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #4,540 of 11,260
Has anyone experienced any issue with their DAC's XLR balanced output? I am beginning to wonder of one of my output is causing some distortions since when I switched back to RCA unbalanced that distortion is reduced or gone. Now I have tried another DAC with balanced output and the distortion is much less (more tolerable), I am not sure if it is too revealing or some defect but at times it seems to be definitely abnormal distortion or clipping-like sounds. I think it is only on 1 channel.
A faithful source will reproduce distorsion faithfully. Also, you amp must be able to receive the signal level the r7 outputs.. If just on certain recordings, it is most likely on the recordings themselves. Could also be a problem with your amp. I have no such issue.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #4,541 of 11,260
A faithful source will reproduce distorsion faithfully. Also, you amp must be able to receive the signal level the r7 outputs.. If just on certain recordings, it is most likely on the recordings themselves. Could also be a problem with your amp. I have no such issue.
I have tried a different DAC with balanced outout and issue seems less obvious or gone, and i Can't figure out if this more of a recording issue or not. Happens even on some really good recordings, if more rare.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #4,542 of 11,260
I have tried a different DAC with balanced outout and issue seems less obvious or gone, and i Can't figure out if this more of a recording issue or not. Happens even on some really good recordings, if more rare.
Most album have at least a few defects. The most common derect is going beyond the recording max admissible level and will cause distorsion. The old jazz albums are full of this. This becomes really obvious with planar headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,543 of 11,260

Hmm... I have listened to balanced XLR outputs on my DACs for about two years. And do not hear noise or distortions in normal use.

Assuming cables are good... distortion on the loudest passages of music is sometimes a result of signal clipping. The R7 is speced an output level of 5V balanced and half of that (2.5V) for single ended. XLR outputs may overload the input stage of the preamp or amp where it connects. But single ended, with less level, sounds better. 5V rms = +14 dBv which is a very healthy signal level.

Ruling out clipping issue or cables... the single ended outputs on all my AGD DACs are actually the same signal as the balanced pair's XLR (+) signal. So any distortion, if OK single ended, would logically be on the XLR (-) signal.?? And a different DAC may output less signal level and sound better (less clipping). Hope this helps and remotely could be a fault with your R7 but this would be a rare problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back