New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,006 of 1,962

beerchug.gif

Cheers!  I hope you like it!  I will be pairing the DAC-19 with my new Liquid Crimson soon too.  That's the kind of pairing that makes me want to upgrade my headphones.

Whoa you're getting Liquid Crimson also....I'm a bit jealous. Yesterday I heard Liquid Glass and it sounded amazing. The next meet I will attend to someone will have the Liquid Crimson also so I can hear that as well. I'm in love with the Cavalli sound and I absolutely cannot wait to get the Liquid Carbon. 
What headphones do you have in mind? I heard the Ether yesterday as well but unfortunately I didn't get to hear them on the Liquid Glass but they suprised me quite a bit I must say. They were not on my radar before but now they are. Wonder how the Ether C compares to it.    

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,007 of 1,962
If I only had the Liquid Carbon next week I could tell you how the DAC-19 to Liquid Carbon to ETHER C sounds. Hopefully my LC shipping notice won't be too long.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,008 of 1,962

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to hearing the pairing.  I'm near the end of the queue for the LC so it'll probably be December before I get mine, but I'm ok with that.

Since most of my music listening in on my loudspeaker system, I'm not looking to spend a lot on exotic headphone cables, as a result I've been eyeing the balanced cables from Venus Audio on eBay.  Haven't seen any reviews of their wares but they seem to be constructed of quality parts and their prices are reasonable so I just might take a chance on them.

I'm not a big believer in cables so I just make my own.  I assume a random eBay one will be just fine.  The big thing you're looking for is to be able to take advantage of the balanced outputs on the LC.

Whoa you're getting Liquid Crimson also....I'm a bit jealous. Yesterday I heard Liquid Glass and it sounded amazing. The next meet I will attend to someone will have the Liquid Crimson also so I can hear that as well. I'm in love with the Cavalli sound and I absolutely cannot wait to get the Liquid Carbon. 
What headphones do you have in mind? I heard the Ether yesterday as well but unfortunately I didn't get to hear them on the Liquid Glass but they suprised me quite a bit I must say. They were not on my radar before but now they are. Wonder how the Ether C compares to it.    

Ether C probably.  I like both Ethers but if I had to pick one, it'd be the C I think.  Tho I am intrigued by the new HD800s...

If I only had the Liquid Carbon next week I could tell you how the DAC-19 to Liquid Carbon to ETHER C sounds. Hopefully my LC shipping notice won't be too long.

Spoiler alert:  It sounds really good.  Heard the combo at both the Schiit Show and RMAF.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,009 of 1,962

Spoiler alert:  It sounds really good.  Heard the combo at both the Schiit Show and RMAF.

Dammit Dan, you keep telling me! :veryevil:

You certainly aren't making the wait any easier! Lol! :D

P.S. Also intrigued by the HD880s........

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,010 of 1,962

Will be looking forward for impressions!

Ether C probably.  I like both Ethers but if I had to pick one, it'd be the C I think.  Tho I am intrigued by the new HD800s...

Interesting. Can you in short describe the differences between Ether and Ether C? I'm also a bit excited by the HD800S but I'm hoping to see a HD850 at some point though. The HE-X is also on my radar as well as the HE-400i. Don't ask me how the last one ended up on that list
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,012 of 1,962

Will be looking forward for impressions!

Interesting. Can you in short describe the differences between Ether and Ether C? I'm also a bit excited by the HD800S but I'm hoping to see a HD850 at some point though. The HE-X is also on my radar as well as the HE-400i. Don't ask me how the last one ended up on that list
biggrin.gif

I described it in long over on audio-head.com when I did my Schiit Show writeup.  Here's the cliff notes:  they're much more similar than they are different, the Ether has more mid-bass while the Ether C has more sub-bass, Ether C has that closed can resonance on the bass that gives it more oomph, Ether is more airy/open sounding.  

And the 400i has no place on that list, sorry.  It's muddy and congested even compared to the HE-560.  Compared to the Edition X, HD800 and Ethers, it's laughably outclassed.  

(And to be clear, I don't think it's a bad headphone, I just think it can't be compared to those other cans.  For the price, it's a great headphone.)

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,013 of 1,962

I described it in long over on audio-head.com when I did my Schiit Show writeup.  Here's the cliff notes:  they're much more similar than they are different, the Ether has more mid-bass while the Ether C has more sub-bass, Ether C has that closed can resonance on the bass that gives it more oomph, Ether is more airy/open sounding.  

And the 400i has no place on that list, sorry.  It's muddy and congested even compared to the HE-560.  Compared to the Edition X, HD800 and Ethers, it's laughably outclassed.  

(And to be clear, I don't think it's a bad headphone, I just think it can't be compared to those other cans.  For the price, it's a great headphone.)

Thanks, would you say Ether is smoother than the Ether C also? As in less fatuiging. 

Yeah, HE-400i is more of a backup plan and no suprise that it's outclassed. HD800, even with Anax mod, is too bright for me. So is the HE-560. I tried the Ether for 3 minutes and during that time I didn't get the feeling of fatigue at all. Of course I need to do more listening to be sure but I get the feeling that Ether is the headphone for me, if HE-X doesn't work out. HD800S is probably still too bright if it's similar to Anax modded HD800.  

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,014 of 1,962

Thanks, would you say Ether is smoother than the Ether C also? As in less fatuiging. 

Yeah, HE-400i is more of a backup plan and no suprise that it's outclassed. HD800, even with Anax mod, is too bright for me. So is the HE-560. I tried the Ether for 3 minutes and during that time I didn't get the feeling of fatigue at all. Of course I need to do more listening to be sure but I get the feeling that Ether is the headphone for me, if HE-X doesn't work out. HD800S is probably still too bright if it's similar to Anax modded HD800.  

I think the two Ethers sound close enough in the treble department that I didn't notice any difference in my time with them (other than the more open/airy sound of the Ether).  I'm particularly sensitive to certain treble spikes so the HD800 on most rigs is too bright for me (tho not on the DAC-19 and LC) and the HE-560 is fine with the Focus-A pads.  I didn't have eny issues with the Ethers.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,016 of 1,962
At RMAF, I got to hear Dan's DAC19, one of Cavalli's Liquid Carbons (I think it was a production-quality soft-tooled sample?), and a Sennheiser HD800. That was the first time I heard an HD800, which had some crazy $500 cables and some treble taming mod, so I don't have a good baseline for how any of that gear sounds stock or with different amps, but WOAH. I put on a FLAC of "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes," the music was so beautiful that it was overwhelming. I seriously was up late dreaming of this combo.

Buuuuuuut, next day, down on the show floor, same setup, I still liked the modded HD800, but I liked the Ether (open and closed) just a little bit more. Less air between my ears and the instruments, so almost like a faster attack and decay on the Ethers which made sounds just pop out of the inky blackness before sinking back out of existence with nary a ripple. So, I would pick an ether. Honestly I could pick either the open or closed and be impressed, and the closed really looks slick, but the ether was just slightly more my taste with slightly more sense of that high-end crispness.

Could you go wrong with any of those? Well the DAC-19 gave a nice firm bass and smooth effortless treble, so they all will sound exceptional. I personally would get an Ether open, but I don't have the only "right" opinion.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,017 of 1,962
At RMAF, I got to hear Dan's DAC19, one of Cavalli's Liquid Carbons (I think it was a production-quality soft-tooled sample?), and a Sennheiser HD800. That was the first time I heard an HD800, which had some crazy $500 cables and some treble taming mod, so I don't have a good baseline for how any of that gear sounds stock or with different amps, but WOAH. I put on a FLAC of "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes," the music was so beautiful that it was overwhelming. I seriously was up late dreaming of this combo.

Buuuuuuut, next day, down on the show floor, same setup, I still liked the modded HD800, but I liked the Ether (open and closed) just a little bit more. Less air between my ears and the instruments, so almost like a faster attack and decay on the Ethers which made sounds just pop out of the inky blackness before sinking back out of existence with nary a ripple. So, I would pick an ether. Honestly I could pick either the open or closed and be impressed, and the closed really looks slick, but the ether was just slightly more my taste with slightly more sense of that high-end crispness.

Could you go wrong with any of those? Well the DAC-19 gave a nice firm bass and smooth effortless treble, so they all will sound exceptional. I personally would get an Ether open, but I don't have the only "right" opinion.

Thanks for the impressions! Personally I also like the Ether better than the HD800, modded even. What is the difference between Ether C and Ether to your ears on the DAC 19 + LC combo?

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,018 of 1,962

Thanks for the impressions! Personally I also like the Ether better than the HD800, modded even. What is the difference between Ether C and Ether to your ears on the DAC 19 + LC combo?

Same as on any other combo.  You should probably ask in the Ether or Ether C thread.  
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,020 of 1,962
Not cool.
wink.gif
 You guys can't bring in mind-blowing products after my wallet needs some time to recover from the purchase on this thread. 

I'm still pretty psyched about some computer-based changes I made, that were quite annoying and unpleasant to the wallet, but may ultimately prove quite the upgrade. I'm realizing that there's a lot of stuff you can do to make your computer a much better source for even this great DAC. (I'm not sure if my particular experiments are the best, but I definitely feel that I managed to get TIDAL to actually sound decent, which wasn't easy.) 

Listening to some weird new-ish experimental electronic jazz and liking it quite a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back