New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Nov 4, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #1,021 of 1,962
Thanks for the impressions! Personally I also like the Ether better than the HD800, modded even. What is the difference between Ether C and Ether to your ears on the DAC 19 + LC combo?

Not cool. :wink:  You guys can't bring in mind-blowing products after my wallet needs some time to recover from the purchase on this thread.

To both of you...
I guess one kindness I can do for you, is share that my experience with R2R DACs even reveal a benefit for a headphone like an AKG K712 or K612. The Ethers are interesting because they're very revealing of the source, so both of them sounded great with the DAC-19... Just IMO the Ether was slightly more transparent to show the DAC and audio files, the Ether C was super close but had a hint of slower decay and maybe something with the bass roll-off. Hard to quantify the difference really, I'd be ecstatic with either Ether, but for one reason or another I gravitated to the open Ether for that slight bit clearer "insight." Total taste/personal judgement call, and listening environment.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,022 of 1,962
Well, finally I have precision 2 bought and delivered to pair with my DAC19. Initial impresions: Sound is very clear, airy, a bit light (comparing to denon PMA1500).
I will give it more time for warm. I also had to change sound character of my DAC19. Thank god it is possible to change from very dry and analytic (which is not pleasat to my ears) to warm with deep bass and good highs (which I really enjoy). I also tested different RCA interconnects and ACSS on contrary. Result is ACSS is winner. Provides more details with richer sound, deeper bass, not dry anymore. For this I use this settings on my DAC19:
- Dithering off
- PLL on
- 50db for stopband
- NOS
Overall I can highly reccomend this combo DAC 19 ACSS, Precision 2, Thanks to the high variability of DAC19. Fortunately I was not forced to stay with default setting of the DAC but there is a posibility to change sound depending on your favor and rest of chain.. Speakers are bookshelf Xavian Junior XN125.
One note about use with HP. I can confirm previous Dan review  - precision 2 and DAC19 are superb combo for HP setup. Using closed ATH A900X headphones. I believe that also HD600, 650, 800 would work fine. I will try in near future for sure.
I will come back with more feedback about DAC AMP pairing after some time or if anyone is interested.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,023 of 1,962
Update: Kingwa said they'll get their download fixed. In the meantime, the latest at the Amanero site includes ASIO: http://amanero.com/drivers.htm

Anyone here having issues with the latest Amanero driver on the Audio-GD website? It doesn't appear to include ASIO anymore.

Does anyone have the previous driver they could send my way that includes ASIO?

I'm not alone: http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=29703

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,024 of 1,962
 I have got an arcam rpac and though it sounds detailed with good soundstage, I find it more on treble side. Can anyone suggest how DAC-19 compares with rpac . I dont want to miss on those details and soundstage but want more body in my music.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,025 of 1,962
I opened up the DAC19 recently and played with PLL and oversampling.

For PLL, disabling it seems to bring a bit more transparency and the stage is slightly more expansive, but I'm not sure if I'm picking up distortion here and there. Didn't have a really long and careful listen due to time constraint.

For oversampling, for simplicity I'll just use mainly vocals as comparison.

8x default setting... vocals sounded very focused, dead centre, intimate and full.

4x and 2x... vocals begins to "spread out", takes half a step back, thinner but more bite. Overall detail level seems to have increased.

NOS... unfortunately this was the worst for me. The vocals shifted so much that it's now panned left. Effect is funny... like listening to mono. However, this is not so obvious with instrumental genres.

Is the NOS effect normal? I see so much talk about going NOS. I hope it's not because my unit is defective :frowning2:

Setup using PC (USB) - U12 (coax) - DAC19 (RCA) - M1HPA - HD800.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,026 of 1,962
You should email Kingwa with your serial number. The jumper settings on the website right now could be inaccurate for your DSP.

Someone on the Master-11 thread was freaking out about channel imbalance in NOS until he found out that the jumper settings chart he was using (though still for Amanero) was wrong.

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,027 of 1,962
You should email Kingwa with your serial number. The jumper settings on the website right now could be inaccurate for your DSP.

Someone on the Master-11 thread was freaking out about channel imbalance in NOS until he found out that the jumper settings chart he was using (though still for Amanero) was wrong.

My unit was bought back in around May this year, still with the VIA USB. I did receive a jumper table from him which is different from the website. NOS is ON/ON. However I have not feedback this experience to him yet. I would probably do so, while posting here to see what should I be expecting. :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,028 of 1,962
A random drive-by here, but I heard the DAC-19 this weekend for the first time at our local meet and was
duly impressed.  

So it's all a matter of perspective, of course.  But personally I wouldn't use the adjective "syrupy" to describe
the DAC-19.  I found it to be smooth, and effortless, and incredibly musical.  It sort of makes you melt and get
lost in the music.  Just a true bargain, and a very different presentation than even that of, say, a Bimby.  I had
never known HD600s were capable of the bass extension I heard through the  DAC-19 + Liquid Carbon combo.
That HD600/HD650 pairing (I tried both) just felt right.  What a great "real world" combo this is!  

And, as always, beauty is in the ears of the beholder.  :wink:

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,029 of 1,962
A random drive-by here, but I heard the DAC-19 this weekend for the first time at our local meet and was
duly impressed.  

So it's all a matter of perspective, of course.  But personally I wouldn't use the adjective "syrupy" to describe
the DAC-19.  I found it to be smooth, and effortless, and incredibly musical.  It sort of makes you melt and get
lost in the music.  Just a true bargain, and a very different presentation than even that of, say, a Bimby.  I had
never known HD600s were capable of the bass extension I heard through the  DAC-19 + Liquid Carbon combo.
That HD600/HD650 pairing (I tried both) just felt right.  What a great "real world" combo this is!  

And, as always, beauty is in the ears of the beholder.  :wink:

Glad you enjoyed my DAC-19! The bass extension and musicality of this unit is really something.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,030 of 1,962
To the comments above - Something tells me that the Dac-19 *may* not be completely neutral/natural?  Anyway, I certainly enjoy it.  I would really like to hear it as compared to a Master 7, and to a Gugnir Multi-bit to get a decent feel for where the Dac-19 fits into the picture.  Regardless, it does things to my music playback that other dacs either have not, or have not been able to do, and in a good way for me.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,032 of 1,962
I definitely prefer that tonality to the likes of Gung MB but mileage varies :}

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,034 of 1,962
Lucky me, get here right as the subject is in the same area as my thoughts as well. 

Thanks to Bimmer, I was able to listen to his Master 11 last night, as well as using the Master 11's amp with the Yggdrasil and Bifrost Multibit. I learned a lot, and it certainly helped steer me closer to my goal of knowing what I actually want. Why am I in the DAC19 thread? Well, Bimmer said the DAC19 had a similar DAC in it. So I'm here to gush about how fantastic AudioGD is and how I will soon join your ranks.

I don't pretend to have the thesaurus warming audiophile terms most of you are comfortable with. So I'll bring you down to my level and hear it as I think about it. Laugh if you want, it's alright. I will be making my comparisons with only one headphone, my HD 800. I will quickly say though that Bimmer's modded HE-560 is the greatest thing I have ever heard connected to the Master 11. I still don't really prefer that sound over the HD 800, but it was still a wonderful pairing. 

M11 + Bimbi (7/10 Enjoyable)
I found this to be quite a great combination, especially from expecting the Schiit dacs to be overly bright. Soundstage and detail retrieval was adequate, not thrilling. It was pleasant on the ears, but still suffered from digititus. I made up that word. What it means is, I feel like I'm listening to something digital and not analog. I will be using this term more often. I normally only notice it in the highs, but sometimes it can reach the bass where I can hear that same etched response from the sound where you can hear the DAC struggling to figure out what to do with a particular sound. Is that particular sound too detailed, too powerful in contrast to the rest of the spectrum? I have no idea, but Schiit dacs are notorious for it. I'm not 50 and losing my hearing, so I seem to get hit by this from most dacs, but especially Schiit dacs.

M11 + Yggdrasil (5/10 Why does this cost so much?)
I was immediately surprised at the amount of detail, the width of the soundstage, and how every note had more life to it. I can say that it was the closest I've felt to floating with the music surrounding me. Though my happiness was quickly ended soon as the high notes started to kick in. There it was, digititus. Sadly, because of the Yggy's excellent detail retrieval, it was worse to my ears, sounding sibilant. Even the Bifrost Multibit wasn't sibilant, but still rather digital sounding. For the record, I was testing the same song through all three dacs to compare more closely. I'm still shocked and a bit let down that something I thought would be the best dac, was not even close. I have sensitive hearing because I got into audio late. I'm 29 years old and only started to listen to music as a hobby two years ago. My ears have not burned in yet. So while I may be rather upset at the Yggy's performance, to many others it's probably a very enjoyable experience.

M11 + M11 (10/10 Why don't more people own this?)
I've listened to a lot of dacs. Well, maybe depends who I'm comparing to. I've been to 5+ large headphone meets, and have listened to more dacs than I can count. I mean, I probably could but it would require thinking really hard, and the last time I thought really hard I got a headache, so let's avoid that. I've listened to expensive dacs, inexpensive dacs, good dacs (wolfson comes to mind), and absurdly expensive dacs. The DAC in the M11 wins, hands down, no contest. Detail retrieval is excellent, soundstage is excellent, tone is natural, everything has a body to it. Never once did I encounter sibilance unless the track was deserving of it, which Bimmer had an excellent set of tracks picked out which didn't highlight that. Though still, the Bifrost sounded digital, the Yggy sounded digital, but why doesn't the M11? What sorcery is this? Sure the soundstage might be less euphoric than Yggy, sure the detail retrieval might not make my hairs stand on edge. Though this is the first DAC I've ever heard that didn't suffer from digititus. I really think that's more special than all the rest because of that.

So while it remains one of the greatest things I've heard as a whole, the price is not something I want to dive immediately at. There are other things I want to try, such as getting some of that DAC experience with the DAC19, and trying other amps. This is the part where Bimmer cringes and thinks I'm nuts. I want the DAC19 + Valhalla 2. Perhaps it was because I was just beginning my adventure, but I had the HD 700 + Valhalla 2, and to me it was an excellent combo. To this day, the only amp that has wowed me. I returned it because at the time I was stressed for money, and I had Vali which did an excellent job as well, while being more smooth. At the time I was really into drum & bass, which made keeping Vali an easy option. At the end of the day, I'm in it for my ears, not other people's ears. So while someone might think the Valhalla 2 is an underwhelming amp, it's the only thing I want right now. Perhaps when I get it again I will end up agreeing. I guess it's like your first car. It was super awesome when you got it and you will always remember how great it was, though in reality it's not really that good. We'll see.

Wow I wrote a lot, and I haven't even had my coffee yet.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #1,035 of 1,962
I feel like Bob pretty much nailed it there.  But my own listening time for each of the Schitt offerings can be counted in minutes.  I'd characterize the Bimby a lot lower than the Yggy though.  The Yggy was much less offensive across the board to my ears.  But somehow it just lacked soul.  I don't really know how else to put it.  The Valhalla2 was also, for me, an unoffensive device that I could spend time with - whereas the Lyr2 didn't do it for me.  But none sound akin to the DAC-19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back