New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Oct 26, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #991 of 1,962
Can you check the input selector on your DAC? Silly I know but I have been guilty of not checking this few times. :grinning:

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #992 of 1,962
It's USB. I did not change it after I moved the other end of USB from Windows to Mac.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #993 of 1,962
Cannot use Combo 384 Amareno as output on mac when I open 

I installed XLD 20141129 and used it to open FLAC file. It could play FLAC on the Mac built in speaker. I could see the Amareno in Sound as USB output. But as I chose Amareno, no sound played on the headphone system. It looks like the XLD was decoding it and sending analog to the DAC-19 via USB and it failed there.

That's strange as I tested it before I gave you the suggestion. Perhaps look at your settings in the Midi Audio Setup app. By the way USB does not transmit an analogue signal but yes XLD decodes the FLAC format and sends the digital stream to the DAC-19 to convert to analogue for your amp.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #994 of 1,962
I have similar findings using DAC 19 on Mac Mini: No sound at all (Using iTunes)
Connected the DAC 2 weeks ago
Reconnected this week and no sound.
Whatever I do....no sound....Amanero is recognized without any problem
I remember an update on my MAC and running MAC OS 10.8.5

I guess I know what the problem is but not how to resolve it:
Check "About this MAC" and click on "More Info"
Select Audio and expand list of devices.
The Combo384 will appear (If not, you have to solve this first :) 

The Combo384 device details are shown
Current SampleRate: 384000 kHz

A DAC 19 cannot handle this sample rate. Looks like the Mac is upsampling and outputs 384kHz to Amanero

Does anyone now how to set maximum sample rate to 192kHz? (If it is possible at all)

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #995 of 1,962
  I have similar findings using DAC 19 on Mac Mini: No sound at all (Using iTunes)
Connected the DAC 2 weeks ago
Reconnected this week and no sound.
Whatever I do....no sound....Amanero is recognized without any problem
I remember an update on my MAC and running MAC OS 10.8.5

I guess I know what the problem is but not how to resolve it:
Check "About this MAC" and click on "More Info"
Select Audio and expand list of devices.
The Combo384 will appear (If not, you have to solve this first :) 

The Combo384 device details are shown
Current SampleRate: 384000 kHz

A DAC 19 cannot handle this sample rate. Looks like the Mac is upsampling and outputs 384kHz to Amanero

Does anyone now how to set maximum sample rate to 192kHz? (If it is possible at all)

The issue is unrelated to the DAC. I had this identical issue when using a Chord Mojo:

1. Launch the utility Audio MIDI Setup.
  2. In the left panel, you should be able to locate your DAC.
  3. In the right panel, you should be able to change the sample rate back to something reasonable, such as 192kHz.

The issue is that OS X natively recognizes the capability of DAC and will set the sample rate to this maximum value by default. Using audio software (I use Audirvana+) the sample rate will be set per the default of the audio track being played. However this only happens during playback, and OS X will default back to the maximum sample rate capable of the DAC outside of the audio software. By using the MIDI tool, you can change the default OS X sample rate.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #997 of 1,962
That's strange as I tested it before I gave you the suggestion. Perhaps look at your settings in the Midi Audio Setup app. By the way USB does not transmit an analogue signal but yes XLD decodes the FLAC format and sends the digital stream to the DAC-19 to convert to analogue for your amp.

Yes, in Midi audio (App Launch, Utilities) it defaults to its highest sampling 384000 hz. After I changed it to 192000 Hz the headphone system started to work, Thanks.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #998 of 1,962
Yes, in Midi audio (App Launch, Utilities) it defaults to its highest sampling 384000 hz. After I changed it to 192000 Hz the headphone system started to work, Thanks.

:beerchug:

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #999 of 1,962

Thanks for the advice! Does anyone notice a ~1 second delay between starting a song on Foobar and actually hearing music output when using the DAC-19 on USB? I do not notice this with optical, so I'm thinking that it is a USB thing.

I've commented about this many times before in the Master11 thread. Same Amanero Combo 384.  This device requires a longer hardware initialization process that can not be worked around at the moment. Jriver has a fix as there is an actual option in the settings that allows you to add a 1sec delay for hardware synchronization. the problem goes away forever if you use jriver. But upon windows startup, the first sound can still glitch or go missing (startup stound). I use my vanatoo transparent 1 speakers as my main audio device for startup, and use kernel streaming or ASIO in Jriver with the 1sec delay for hardware synchro. done deal. fixed. :D

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,000 of 1,962
I've commented about this many times before in the Master11 thread. Same Amanero Combo 384.  This device requires a longer hardware initialization process that can not be worked around at the moment. Jriver has a fix as there is an actual option in the settings that allows you to add a 1sec delay for hardware synchronization. the problem goes away forever if you use jriver. But upon windows startup, the first sound can still glitch or go missing (startup stound). I use my vanatoo transparent 1 speakers as my main audio device for startup, and use kernel streaming or ASIO in Jriver with the 1sec delay for hardware synchro. done deal. fixed. :D

Thanks for the tip. Kingwa has confirmed that this delay is normal as well, but is only an issue if you manually start and stop playback. If you're ending one sing and going into the next, it might be a continuous stream in some way so the USB module doesn't have to reinitialize.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,001 of 1,962
Finally pulled the trigger on a DAC-19.  It's in the hands of DHL now...hope they treat the package with the gentleness and reverence that it deserves.  Opted for the 2 RCA outputs and the free XMOS USB upgrade (will be using SPDIF input with no current plans to use USB).

Will be driving a Schiit Valhalla ver.1  --> HD600, but will eventually be paired with a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, whenever it shows up.  Looking forward to some R2R goodness!

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,002 of 1,962
  Finally pulled the trigger on a DAC-19.  It's in the hands of DHL now...hope they treat the package with the gentleness and reverence that it deserves.  Opted for the 2 RCA outputs and the free XMOS USB upgrade (will be using SPDIF input with no current plans to use USB).

Will be driving a Schiit Valhalla ver.1  --> HD600, but will eventually be paired with a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, whenever it shows up.  Looking forward to some R2R goodness!

You will not be disappointed!  I've been using the LC+DAC-19 for a while now and it's a wonderful pairing!  

Don't forget to get balanced cables for your Senn when the LC comes; it made a notable difference with my HD650.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,003 of 1,962

Thanks to Stillhart I now have a Audio-gd DAC 19 and also pre-ordered the Liquid Carbon that I'm gonna be using with my HD650 with Norne Draug 2 balanced cables untill HD850 is released! (Probably wishful thinking). What I've learned is that I trust Stillharts ears and will do so in the future. Honestly can't wait to get the Liquid Carbon home haha.  

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,004 of 1,962

Thanks to Stillhart I now have a Audio-gd DAC 19 and also pre-ordered the Liquid Carbon that I'm gonna be using with my HD650 with Norne Draug 2 balanced cables untill HD850 is released! (Probably wishful thinking). What I've learned is that I trust Stillharts ears and will do so in the future. Honestly can't wait to get the Liquid Carbon home haha.  

beerchug.gif

Cheers!  I hope you like it!  I will be pairing the DAC-19 with my new Liquid Crimson soon too.  That's the kind of pairing that makes me want to upgrade my headphones.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,005 of 1,962

You will not be disappointed!  I've been using the LC+DAC-19 for a while now and it's a wonderful pairing!  

Don't forget to get balanced cables for your Senn when the LC comes; it made a notable difference with my HD650.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to hearing the pairing.  I'm near the end of the queue for the LC so it'll probably be December before I get mine, but I'm ok with that.

Since most of my music listening in on my loudspeaker system, I'm not looking to spend a lot on exotic headphone cables, as a result I've been eyeing the balanced cables from Venus Audio on eBay.  Haven't seen any reviews of their wares but they seem to be constructed of quality parts and their prices are reasonable so I just might take a chance on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back