New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Oct 23, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #976 of 1,962

I noticed the clicks this morning, but not the delay. I probably just missed it, so I'll check again tonight.

How do you find the Multifrost compared to the DAC-19 btw?

I don't have a DAC-19. I had a Reference 5, which is an older model balanced version of the same, and I ended up ordering a Master 11. I just follow the DAC-19 thread as well because I might get one for work sometime next year.

I liked the Reference 5 better than Bifrost Multibit, though. It's warmer and smoother while still retrieving a similar level of detail.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #977 of 1,962

I don't have a DAC-19. I had a Reference 5, which is an older model balanced version of the same, and I ended up ordering a Master 11. I just follow the DAC-19 thread as well because I might get one for work sometime next year.

I liked the Reference 5 better than Bifrost Multibit, though. It's warmer and smoother while still retrieving a similar level of detail.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. That being said, I am noticing similar differences between my DAC-19 to the Multifrost. I'm going to reserve final judgement until I give the Multifrost a little more time, but on my initial listen (having left it on ~7 hours) I was surprised by how much brighter and shoutier it is than my DAC-19.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #978 of 1,962
Yup, Schiit R2R gear is more aggressive in general.
The smoothness is what I love about the R2R BB chips :)

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #979 of 1,962
Does it make difference plugging the DAC into a power strip and an UPS? UPS is supposed to be more stable than a simple power strip, right? I plugged HDVA 600 on the UPS.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #980 of 1,962

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. That being said, I am noticing similar differences between my DAC-19 to the Multifrost. I'm going to reserve final judgement until I give the Multifrost a little more time, but on my initial listen (having left it on ~7 hours) I was surprised by how much brighter and shoutier it is than my DAC-19.

That's the reason why I avoid all Schiit gear. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #983 of 1,962
Where were the noises coming from?

I had heard of this a few times: there were noise that could last a few seconds. because I was playing FLAC that I ripped from original CD. I just brushed them off as bad rip. But I replayed those a few times that had given me noise. On the following the noises did not show up. So were the noise coming from DAC? or the player. foobar200 on Windows 8.1? or the Amp.  

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #984 of 1,962
Didn't hear any noise from my rig unless it coming from a bad rip which is consistent everytime. Hope there's nothing wrong with your DAC.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #985 of 1,962
Where were the noises coming from?

I had heard of this a few times: there were noise that could last a few seconds. because I was playing FLAC that I ripped from original CD. I just brushed them off as bad rip. But I replayed those a few times that had given me noise. On the following the noises did not show up. So were the noise coming from DAC? or the player. foobar200 on Windows 8.1? or the Amp.  

Do you have another source besides the PC to feed the DAC-19?

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #986 of 1,962
Do you have another source besides the PC to feed the DAC-19?

I happened to want to post on how to eliminate the source of noise one by one.

I could play them on Mac but I haven't found a good player to play FLAC. Or I can play some music on iPhone, iPad or Android tablet. That's a pain to convert so many music files.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #987 of 1,962

I could play them on Mac but I haven't found a good player to play FLAC. Or I can play some music on iPhone, iPad or Android tablet. That's a pain to convert so many music files.

Just curious if it's some PC generated noise, so another source may be telling. You can use XLD for mac to play FLAC. Just set the DAC-19 as your output device in the System Preferences.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #988 of 1,962

You should be able to play FLAC files on your Android tablet. There are many free apps that can do this.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #989 of 1,962
Sorry to go slightly different direction here, but I've just had a terrible experience trying to squeeze a bit more out of my computer with some Voodoo software, such as Jplay. I managed to get it to work a few times for one or two songs, but then it seemed to not know how to keep playing a full album and in the best case just crashed. In the worst case, did something weird to the DAC and nearly deafened me with static distortion. I had to go to work after that happened, but I hope I didn't damage anything with this really horrible software. (It did sound better to my ears when it worked, though.) 

Edit: after an hour with the maker of Jplay, I just realized that my computer doesn't work in hibernate mode. (Probably all the Lenovo bloatware that I seem to never be able to get rid of.) Now playing via Kernel Streaming and it sounds significantly better to my ears than regular Foobar with via Amanero 384 ASIO. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #990 of 1,962
Cannot use Combo 384 Amareno as output on mac when I open 
You can use XLD for mac to play FLAC. Just set the DAC-19 as your output device in the System Preferences.

I installed XLD 20141129 and used it to open FLAC file. It could play FLAC on the Mac built in speaker. I could see the Amareno in Sound as USB output. But as I chose Amareno, no sound played on the headphone system. It looks like the XLD was decoding it and sending analog to the DAC-19 via USB and it failed there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back