New Audeze LCD3
Apr 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #5,491 of 11,521

Quote:

arnaud - thanks for the observations, much appreciated.

However, the potential measurement artifact to which I'm referring is the dip at 8.8KHz (not the bump at ~11KHz) because 8.8KHz appears to be the only freq at which the new LCD-3 displays less freq response than the original LCD-3.
Just asking - 'cause it would be great to have a better understanding of what's going on from an empirical perspective.

On the subjective side; the music I'm listening to with the new LCD-3 sounds sublime, and I'm a totally happy camper with the outcome.

Yes, this one is likely extremely sensitive to the measurement. It's a zone of zero pressure AT the microphone location, it would probably dip down by more than 10dB if this graph wasn't frequency averaged. Resit the headhone very slightly and it will be gone. The other thing is that you should be more concerned about the broad peaks than narrow dips, c.f. Purrin's numerous posts, so I actually don't even "see" these dips when I look at a curve.

Quote:
I don't know what causes the new measurement to be higher across teh spectrum, but AFAIK it is meaningless and just comes from the way they were measured.  If every frequency is higher it just means more volume as far as how it's perceived.  But I'm not sure what causes the graph to come out this way. 

The reduction is damping is likely resulting in an increase in the efficiency of the headphone. We should be normalizing the curves by loudness (e.g. perceived volume) when comparing headphone responses, rather than normalizing by the response at 1kHz or 250Hz or some other arbitrary value.

Are you talking about damping as in felt damping?  If so, what makes you think the difference is a result of more damping?  IME more damping gives you the opposite effect- more higher frequencies and less lower frequencies. 

I am not sure where the damping came from but it seems like orthos response drastically to resistive screens placed in front of or behind the driver. What there is little to debate about is that, regardless of the severe frequency smoothing, the "new" LCD3 is much less damped than the previous one, e.g. the resonances are much more visible while the green curve is quite smooth. In this frequency range (above 5kHz), a felt material could both affect the effective mechanical damping of the driver as well as acoustic damping in the chamber.

As to how felt affects the response of orthos in general, I don't have your first hand experience and can't comment. But, unless you always use the same felt material, I would be hard pressed to make generic comments about how the results will turn out given there is such a range of variation for felt / resistive screens properties (e.g. huge changes in flow resistivity, porosity etc. based on the density of the material, size the of the fibers and how packed they are, presence of glue to make the screen almost impervious...).

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #5,492 of 11,521
I was actually a bit surprised when I compared the FR for the three Audezes I have. The R2 and the LCD-3 are quite similar with regards to their flat curve up to 1.5k and the descent to 4.5k. I have never regarded my R2 as veiled - and the same goes for the LCD-3 (from the newest batch).

May 2, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #5,493 of 11,521
None of you chaps wish to add the lcd-3 info/detials to the wikiPhonia: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Audeze_LCD-3 ?

If someone has a spare 10mins would be really helpful.

Theres a lot missing, and the LCD2 article too.

May 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #5,495 of 11,521
IMO, the easiest way to tell the revised pairs from the originals is the behavior between 1-2kHz.  The newer pairs don't start sloping down until at or near 2kHz.  This is just a visual difference based on the supplied graphs, and it hasn't really been proven that this is a reason for any difference in sound between the different batches.  But it's the most obvious difference to me.

May 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,499 of 11,521
66986138_burn-headphones-800X800.jpeg

May 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #5,504 of 11,521
May 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #5,505 of 11,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back