New Audeze LCD3
May 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #5,524 of 11,521
Quote:

LFF, how would you rate the MFSL LP box ?

Can't speak for the boxed set, but the one I recommended, which was reported to be Sinatra's personal favorite of all his recordings, is a great MFSL release.  I'm not a fan or a follower or even knowledgable about Sinatra's recordings otherwise.  I guess this is considered of his most melancholic, which goes right along with my own personal preferences:

Here's the wiki.

....and the link to Amazon's reviews...

5 Stars on AllMusic

All About Jazz

I'm sure you could find plenty more reviews on it...you get the picture.

The standard pressing is much cheaper than the MFSL, but I can't say if the difference is worth it.  Perhaps someone else who's heard both can chime in?

May 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #5,528 of 11,521
Pity. How 'bout some Nick Drake threads while we're at it? Who, incidentally, sounds great on a LCD-3 as powered by an O2. Especially River Man.

May 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5,529 of 11,521
I agree.  Had a bunch of fellow Nick-heads over (largely converted by me over the years) a few weeks ago and we spun FLL and Pink Moon (Bryter Layer never happened.)  Powerful stuff. (although this was on a BA, never tried an O2.)  There are some active Nick forums out there if you look.  There's a reason I haven't changed my avatar since I joined.

May 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #5,530 of 11,521
Quote:
I agree.  Had a bunch of fellow Nick-heads over (largely converted by me over the years) a few weeks ago and we spun FLL and Pink Moon (Bryter Layer never happened.)  Powerful stuff. (although this was on a BA, never tried an O2.)  There are some active Nick forums out there if you look.  There's a reason I haven't changed my avatar since I joined.

Now on this subject I can speak with far more confidence: If you're a fan, you might already know this, but if you like Nick Drake, run, don't walk, to get anything and everything by Alexi Murdoch.  You will think he's channeling him.  Both his releases are outstanding.  Yes, he sounds great on LCD-2's and there is a thread, here, on that silly angle (one of the Audeze strengths is that it suits a remarkably wide range a music...IMHO, so the thread is a bit broad in scope, but still enjoyable, but then I prefer threads on music over gear threads).  Also recommended to Nick Drake fans - try Lou Rhodes (former singer for Lamb, but solo work is nothing like that trip hop/jazz band, which I also like) - I'd recommend One Good Thing, and Beloved from her solo efforts, the former being of the more acoustic soulful Nick Drake-like sound.  

May 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5,531 of 11,521
I'm not sure I care for his voice. Nick's voice on the other hand was like a meandering river in the dark: velvety, mysterious and captivating. The mere intonations told stories of their own.

May 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,532 of 11,521
Alexi Murdoch does share some similarities but... (don't want to get too far OT.)

Duncan Browne (first two albums) 
Elliott Smith
Big Star (Acoustic numbers)
Jackson C Frank
Jose Gonzalez
Vashti Brunyan
Margo Guryan
Joni Mitchell

Ultimately, none of these musicians recapture exactly what Nick did the same way that Nick couldn't do what Joni Mitchell could for example.

This type of music is one that I think the LCD series knocks it out of the park where the HD800 doesn't.  While the HD800 does have better low-level detail, the intimacy of being in the room seems artificially voyeuristic.  

May 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #5,533 of 11,521
Quote:
I'm not sure I care for his voice. Nick's voice on the other hand was like a meandering river in the dark: velvety, mysterious and captivating. The mere intonations told stories of their own.

Well, perhaps its not translated too well in the rawness of a live, YouTube performance from a club probably done with someone's cell phone, but his two CD's are much more refined.  I can't say for sure that you'd like it any better, just that I do, and have always thought of Nick Drake when listening to him.  He's frequently compared to Drake.  

Try this one on for size...you can find others on YouTube that are straight off the albums as well:

May 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #5,534 of 11,521
Quote:
Alexi Murdoch does share some similarities but... (don't want to get too far OT.)

Duncan Browne (first two albums) 
Elliott Smith
Big Star (Acoustic numbers)
Jackson C Frank
Jose Gonzalez
Vashti Brunyan
Margo Guryan
Joni Mitchell

Ultimately, none of these musicians recapture exactly what Nick did the same way that Nick couldn't do what Joni Mitchell could for example.

This type of music is one that I think the LCD series knocks it out of the park where the HD800 doesn't.  While the HD800 does have better low-level detail, the intimacy of being in the room seems artificially voyeuristic.  

Thanks for the list.  I'll check into the few I don't know about. Joni is a lifelong favorite of mine, but I'd never have thought to put her in the same melancholic likes of Drake and Elliot Smith, with the possible exception of my favorite from her, Blue.  

I don't think the HD800 is a very good vocals headphone in general.  I think it is different from the LCDx in the respect that it is really not a good broad-spectrum performer, showing strengths and weaknesses throughout different genres and content.  LCDx are far more broad in what they can make sound very good indeed, and vocals are certainly more intimate and natural sounding, to my ears, than with an HD800.  

May 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #5,535 of 11,521
Elliott Smith is the closest I've been able to find but they are very different.  Duncan Browne was tremendous before he sold out.  I put Blue and Clouds on a similar pedestal melodically.  If there's one argument against smoking it's the travesty of Joni's voice on later albums.  Some would put Buckley in this category for his "man and a guitar songs".  To me the delivery is too flowery to be in that camp.  Nick is more about the notes, their relation to the swirling chord progression, and most of all - being direct.  Jeff comes more from the acrobatics school of many of the jazz singers, such as Holiday and Simone (whom he covered.)  

Most vocals I love on the HD800 - whether it's cooke, hartman, or callas.  It's the "guy and a guitar" singers that find the HD800 just can't get right.  Unfortunately some of my favorite artists come from that school.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back