New AT Portables: ATH-ES10 and ATH-WS70
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #106 of 159
Just got es-10... man this is sounding exactly like full sized headphone... but the size is match for portable, very very suprising... and the sq is very very good (very energetic, clear and pleasing)... overall very very fun headphone ...

still burning in ... with my old kenwood hd30gb9... if I switched to bass mode 2.... it's like you're having 2 subwoofers in your head, a very good bass impact, it's plenty.

It's very comfortable also, way better than esw10jpn (limited edition one with much less bass). May be it's because my earshape. I can't take away these from my head for hours ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #107 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrrom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ohh. so in your opinion the protector isnt needed?

its your choice, if u dont want any scratch (strange saying that bcoz it got a hairline finish) you should invest in some protector...
it looks awesome btw and im sure you want to do anything to keep the headphones as pristine as possible..

@myc
thats exactly what i think about when i got em!
absolutely love the bass

that said there arent many es10 users here
price turned them off? sure it aint the best price/performance ratio
but heck i can use em anywhere, it has a nice SQ from a portable DAP and nothing sticking into my ears like iem...

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #108 of 159
Can anyone compare the ES10's fun factor versus Grados?
Just how fun is their sound?
I'm not asking for a comparison in overall refinement or something.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #109 of 159
I got these beauties a few days ago and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Comfort is superb (much better than ESW9), however I wish ES10 also had leather earpads. Clamping force is "just enough".

As for the sound - they are barely reaching 30 hours of playback, so nothing sure so far, but they are definitely less "fun" than ES7/ESW9 that I had previously. On the other hand, they sound much, and I mean _MUCH_, smoother, there is virtually no harshness/sibilance at all.

So far, so good. Next week I'll try them amped, as currently I'm with my D2+ alone. Also some photos may possibly come next week.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #110 of 159
I might pull the trigger on the ES10 really soon, considering how much I love the ESW9 and ESW10JPN (owned 4 of them).

Did anyone try swapping the leather pads on the ESW10JPN with the ones on the ES10? Just curious if that would affect the comfort and sound.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #111 of 159
I am not perfectly sure, but it seems that pads from ESW9/10's won't fit ES10's

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #113 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burma Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the midrange really recessed because of the deep bass impact ?

They have neither deep bass impact, nor recessed midrange
wink.gif

Although mids are not as forward as in ESW9 or ES7, they are still quite prominent. Bass is no more "fun", rather detailed.

Note that I think they need around 50 more hours of burn-in until I can say something definite.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #114 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have neither deep bass impact, nor recessed midrange
wink.gif

Although mids are not as forward as in ESW9 or ES7, they are still quite prominent. Bass is no more "fun", rather detailed.

Note that I think they need around 50 more hours of burn-in until I can say something definite.

Could you describe their sound signature in comparison to your IE8 ?

Do they have more or less bass ? More or less mids ? More or less treble ? I'm not asking for soundstage, instrument separation, etc., just their overall frequency response.

I personally dislike the IE8, which I fond to have way too much uncontrolled bass, not enough mids and uneven trebles, but since I have them I'll be able to picture the ES10 sound.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #115 of 159
They are definitely different.

BASS - much less in quantity than IE8, I think a bit better controlled.

MIDS - definitely more, ES10's - in most cases - bring the vocals to the front. I'd say that sometimes the vocals overwhelm the rest of the music a bit too much.

HIGHS - nice, but not very prominent, quantity-wise similar to IE8.

Summing up - I don't think their freq. response is similar at all. IE8 have really pronounced low end, whereas ES10s' most prominent part is mids.

If you have any experience with ESW9's, I'd say that ES10's are basically "ESW9 one small step closer to neutral".

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #117 of 159
Hi Morph , How is the isolation and soundstage on the es10? I'm trying to gage it using the Shure SRH 840 as a reference point. I would like to purchase a pair soon , so if anyone has some feedback would be much welcome.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #118 of 159
Hey all, I received my ES10 a few days ago and have enjoyed them so much I got rid of my D5000's. I just felt there was no need for 2 headphones with a similar sound signature and plus the ES10 are very portable with the Audio-Technica AT-HPP5 Headphone Case. To be honest the ES10 listening experience has been very pleasant, meaning non fatiguing for those long listening sessions.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #119 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I received my ES10 a few days ago and have enjoyed them so much I got rid of my D5000's. I just felt there was no need for 2 headphones with a similar sound signature and plus the ES10 are very portable with the Audio-Technica AT-HPP5 Headphone Case. To be honest the ES10 listening experience has been very pleasant, meaning non fatiguing for those long listening sessions.

Hi Rideau,

How would you compare your ES10 with your W3 regarding frequency response ?

Also, are the ES10 warm enough to play jazz ? Especially brass ?

Overall, are they a real improvement over your W3 in terms of instruements separation, details, etc. ?

thanks !

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #120 of 159
definition of "fun" is very subjective...
the es10 is certainly my fun headphone,
for more critical listening + details, i use HD650..
and without proper amp and setup, the HD650 bass loses out to es10 seriously..

I dont have prior background of bass heavy phones to compare
just that i once had FA eterna and I really hate the bass, bloated with no control.. certainly not fun in my book lol

some pics as I appreciate its looks as much as I appreciate its sound
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back