New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Feb 22, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #136 of 248
All good reasons for YOU not to buy. But maybe not good reasons for others. The awesome thing is that we have a variety of products to choose from, and the free will to make those choices.

Peace be with you!
Exactly.

I don’t care who says what in marketing, in reviews, or anywhere once I sit with these things myself. If I like them, I keep them. If I don’t, I return or sell.

We’re lucky the policy on the 8xx is to allow free returns after trying. I mean come on critics....if you don’t like the headphones, don’t keep them 🤪

These new tunings have a chance to do something special for an already very special headphone for some people. Let’s be happy with this!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #138 of 248
Feb 22, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #140 of 248
Good to hear :L3000: . And I was also about to get one since I'd need a closed headphone much more than an open one ... but the reviews were not so good. Even more importantly, when I tested them, the upper mids sounded really off. Do you eq them?

No, I don't think anything sounds off about it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #141 of 248
I agree. I think the level of complaining is so high as the expectations/hopes were also very high for such a beloved and iconic headphone. I personally am keeping an open mind until I can either demo them myself, or read some reviews from trusted reviewers.
Part of the consideration here was that many were expecting these hand assembled and tested drivers to have been turned back to the assembly line through a novel manufacturing process.

Not to be, it seems, at least for now.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #142 of 248
Part of the consideration here was that many were expecting these hand assembled and tested drivers to have been turned back to the assembly line through a novel manufacturing process.

Not to be, it seems, at least for now.
“turned back to the assembly line through a novel manufacturing process”. Can you give more detail on what you mean by this?

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #143 of 248
All good reasons for YOU not to buy. But maybe not good reasons for others. The awesome thing is that we have a variety of products to choose from, and the free will to make those choices.

Peace be with you!
Absolutely! If I was in the US with the free return it'd be already another story alltogether, still wouldn't give THAT kind of money 9 months in advance with nothing to show, but I don't really approve any kind preorder, I made some exceptions like backing Audeze Mobius for example... Take care, peace and stay healthy :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #144 of 248
“turned back to the assembly line through a novel manufacturing process”. Can you give more detail on what you mean by this?
For some electronics, to reach an exceptionally high level of performance, some testing needs to be manually or at least in a semi-automated fashion. The 800 series represents and exceptionally high level of quality control for a consumer product, so you pay for that additional labour and expertise (and this is why it's still done out of Germany when the rest would be done out of China, Romania and Ireland).

If Sennheiser can automate more of that, that reduces manufacturing costs by reducing labour costs and increasing production efficiency over time (both in how long production can run for on a given day, and the energy/material efficiency of running longer).

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #145 of 248
For some electronics, to reach an exceptionally high level of performance, some testing needs to be manually or at least in a semi-automated fashion. The 800 series represents and exceptionally high level of quality control for a consumer product, so you pay for that additional labour and expertise (and this is why it's still done out of Germany when the rest would be done out of China, Romania and Ireland).

If Sennheiser can automate more of that, that reduces manufacturing costs by reducing labour costs and increasing production efficiency over time (both in how long production can run for on a given day, and the energy/material efficiency of running longer).
Are you saying that is how Sennheiser is conducting manufacturing for the 800 series of headphones, or are you saying you expected them to change their process for this version?

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #147 of 248
Are you saying that is how Sennheiser is conducting manufacturing for the 800 series of headphones, or are you saying you expected them to change their process for this version?
I'm suggesting that there's clearly more complex quality assurance and lower manufacturing tolerances for such a high-end driver, and I thought the Drop collaboration was a signal that they'd found major cost savings.

In a way, they have found some cost savings, but they've also invested R&D into refining the original product a lot further than the 6XX did for the 650.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #149 of 248
I live in Europe,
If i want to buy it i only can from USA Drop that will be a big rip-off what is ridiculous since we need to pay+30 % customs for all what is outside of the EU.
And it is a shame that USA people can get it cheaper than Europe, what is made in GERMANY.... If it is priced for 1100 usd it would be 900 euro in Europe without taxes I hope they go sane and release this at Europe for 900 euro max since 900 Euro equals for 1100 USD aprx. They would get much more customers. Also if it cost 1100 usd in USA it mean i will need to pay 1430 USD to get it in Europe, dfq... shame.

Feb 24, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #150 of 248
I live in Europe,
If i want to buy it i only can from USA Drop that will be a big rip-off what is ridiculous since we need to pay+30 % customs for all what is outside of the EU.
And it is a shame that USA people can get it cheaper than Europe, what is made in GERMANY.... If it is priced for 1100 usd it would be 900 euro in Europe without taxes I hope they go sane and release this at Europe for 900 euro max since 900 Euro equals for 1100 USD aprx. They would get much more customers. Also if it cost 1100 usd in USA it mean i will need to pay 1430 USD to get it in Europe, dfq... shame.
European taxes are something for you to bring up with European officials (though keep in mind the benefits you get from those taxes).

Drop does not have any European operations. That is a business decision on their part. They used to, but for whatever their reasons chose not to keep those open. I assume they closed those for sound business decisions and wouldn’t reopen them for this product.

Sennheiser has chosen to only work with Drop on this product. You would have to discuss with Sennheiser why they don’t sell it direct to European customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back