New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #151 of 248
European taxes are something for you to bring up with European officials (though keep in mind the benefits you get from those taxes).

Drop does not have any European operations. That is a business decision on their part. They used to, but for whatever their reasons chose not to keep those open. I assume they closed those for sound business decisions and wouldn’t reopen them for this product.

Sennheiser has chosen to only work with Drop on this product. You would have to discuss with Sennheiser why they don’t sell it direct to European customers.
All for the profit, sad system shame.

Feb 24, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #152 of 248
Cool life hack: buy an 8xx. collect $200 of reward points. Buy a second 8xx with the drop bucks. Now you have 2 8xx for 2000 bucks. Wait 9 months and sell one for $1200. Now you have 1 8xx for net cost of $800.

(I dont actually know if you can buy multiple. Anyone know?)

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #154 of 248
Sorry, I got to ask, do you mean the HD 800S will be discontinued sometime soon and thereafter only the 8XX will be available?
No, I mean the HD 800 is discontinued. The HD 800S will continue to be produced, I’m just saying the stock sells quickly.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #155 of 248
Absolutely! If I was in the US with the free return it'd be already another story alltogether, still wouldn't give THAT kind of money 9 months in advance with nothing to show, but I don't really approve any kind preorder, I made some exceptions like backing Audeze Mobius for example... Take care, peace and stay healthy :)
edited

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #156 of 248
Based on the boosted bass, decrease between 1k and 2k, and increase between 2k and 5k, it looks like the HD8XX will have a frequency response quite similar to the Hifiman HE1000SE:

1613663875943.180521950346079646103871-DropSennheiserHD8XXandSennheiserHD800S5128FR.jpg

HD800S v HE1000SE.png

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #157 of 248
Based on the boosted bass, decrease between 1k and 2k, and increase between 2k and 5k, it looks like the HD8XX will have a frequency response quite similar to the Hifiman HE1000SE:

1613663875943.180521950346079646103871-DropSennheiserHD8XXandSennheiserHD800S5128FR.jpg

HD800S v HE1000SE.png
While the curves appear similar, note the test rigs are completely different... not just that they are physically different, but they are completely different models. At this point it is hard to compare Head-fi measurements with this new rig and previous measurements. While shapes are the same it is like saying an orange and an apple are similar because they are both somewhat spherical... We will need to wait to see comparisons to better known headphones if/when they are remeasured on the new hardware.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #158 of 248
All the Euros complaining about the import price need to understand this is why you have subsidized healthcare and schools. I would take that and pay more for some audio gear.

Also the stock cables for the HD800 series are so ass Drop is doing you a favor by leaving one out.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #159 of 248
All the Euros complaining about the import price need to understand this is why you have subsidized healthcare and schools. I would take that and pay more for some audio gear.
Well, I’m not complaining about internal european taxes (VAT in this case). Inport paperwork is cumbersome and expensive, and inport taxes are higher than VAT. Both would ve sorted out by Drop establishing an office inside EU. Anyway, this is a bussiness decision but I feel a little let down

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #160 of 248
Well, I’m not complaining about internal european taxes (VAT in this case). Inport paperwork is cumbersome and expensive, and inport taxes are higher than VAT. Both would ve sorted out by Drop establishing an office inside EU. Anyway, this is a bussiness decision but I feel a little let down
They actually had an operation in Europe for a while, but disbanded that. Don’t think the business logic was ever fully explained.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #162 of 248
It is unfair to Sennheiser,
that "Drop" is effectively making purchasers have to buy credits from them, in order to get the 8xx.
That $200 should it be credited to the headphone itself, and not force users to buy unnecessary items that they don't need at Drop.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #163 of 248
It is unfair to Sennheiser,
that "Drop" is effectively making purchasers have to buy credits from them, in order to get the 8xx.
That $200 should it be credited to the headphone itself, and not force users to buy unnecessary items that they don't need at Drop.
pretty sure that’s not right.

The price and incentive/rebate structure here is up to Drop (subject to some minimum pricing that Sennheiser probably has set to avoid cannibilization of Senn’s other products).

The decision of whether we like the pricing and incentive structure is up to the consumer.

I am pretty sure it is as simple as that.

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #164 of 248
While the curves appear similar, note the test rigs are completely different... not just that they are physically different, but they are completely different models. At this point it is hard to compare Head-fi measurements with this new rig and previous measurements. While shapes are the same it is like saying an orange and an apple are similar because they are both somewhat spherical... We will need to wait to see comparisons to better known headphones if/when they are remeasured on the new hardware.
I believe they both use the same 5128 rig. Maybe not all the same accessories and room etc, but they should be comparable.

When I saw that FR, I thought it was a lot like the Arya, which is the reason I preordered it. I recently traded my HD800SDR because of it, but I would actually EQ up 9kHz so there wasn't that dip, and it did sound more natural. It might sound counterintuitive, but I think these changes are going to be good - yes, even that slight 1.5kHz dip (which is a very honky nasal frequency anyway).

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #165 of 248
I believe they both use the same 5128 rig. Maybe not all the same accessories and room etc, but they should be comparable.

When I saw that FR, I thought it was a lot like the Arya, which is the reason I preordered it. I recently traded my HD800SDR because of it, but I would actually EQ up 9kHz so there wasn't that dip, and it did sound more natural. It might sound counterintuitive, but I think these changes are going to be good - yes, even that slight 1.5kHz dip (which is a very honky nasal frequency anyway).
You might be right, but I recall reading (or watching on YouTube) a discussion about the new Head-fi rig being different than most out there so to take exact measurements with a grain of salt.

Otherwise I have no comment about the FR or changes from the 800S... I have not had the pleasure of listening to the 800S so I have no reference point :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back