New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #166 of 248
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #168 of 248
so what's the consensus? I'm really on the fence, that 9 month wait (with possible delays as drop as had in the past) is kinda pushing me away. and not to mention people on discord, other forums, and image boards are either bashing the everliving F out of it or completely ignoring its existence. I've been wanting the 800S for a good while now but the serious lack of bass kept me away, now these look to have the bass I've been asking for, but now the highs seem a little too f'd up, and the mids now seem to have more THD.
i wish drop was smart and sent a couple of review units off to some reviewers a few days into the drop to build hype but i guess they didn't care enough to.

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #169 of 248
so what's the consensus? I'm really on the fence, that 9 month wait (with possible delays as drop as had in the past) is kinda pushing me away. and not to mention people on discord, other forums, and image boards are either bashing the everliving F out of it or completely ignoring its existence. I've been wanting the 800S for a good while now but the serious lack of bass kept me away, now these look to have the bass I've been asking for, but now the highs seem a little too f'd up, and the mids now seem to have more THD.
i wish drop was smart and sent a couple of review units off to some reviewers a few days into the drop to build hype but i guess they didn't care enough to.
If you're on the fence, it may be best to wait for it to go up to $1200. Even though pre-ordering now saves you $100, it may not save you peace of mind.

For me, the free cancellation at any time, plus using PayPal credit so I don't have to pay anything for 6 months, goes a long way for my peace of mind. And I happen to have found a tube amp on Drop I like and that $200 awards is a nice incentive to buy it :p

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #170 of 248
If you're on the fence, it may be best to wait for it to go up to $1200. Even though pre-ordering now saves you $100, it may not save you peace of mind.

For me, the free cancellation at any time, plus using PayPal credit so I don't have to pay anything for 6 months, goes a long way for my peace of mind. And I happen to have found a tube amp on Drop I like and that $200 awards is a nice incentive to buy it :p
i agree the 200$ reward is pretty good, but sadly i don't seem to qualify for paypal credit so that's gonna be 1100$ that gets whisked away from me all at once for all of 9 months with nothing to show for it :frowning2:... the issue i have with that is what if I find a really good deal on an hd800s or some other headphone I'm looking into somewhere or even some unexpected cost somewhere and by the time I cancel, the money gets to my bank (about 3 business days, Saturday and Sunday don't count so if it's a Friday make it 5 days) and i go to buy the thing, it'll be gone and I'll have lost out on both.
i like having the money in hand, it gives me options. i don't like basically giving what is basically an interest free loan to a company before even a single review comes out.
plus we all know that drop is gonna be in charge of who gets to try a review units, and we know they're gonna send them to reviewers that are drop's "good friends" anyways if you catch my drift.

eh, i got all negative towards the end but despite having amazing products i personally love and almost exclusively use (hd6XX, most of my amps and some iems i own are bought off drop) drop does not have the best reputation in the industry at all...

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #172 of 248
i agree the 200$ reward is pretty good, but sadly i don't seem to qualify for paypal credit so that's gonna be 1100$ that gets whisked away from me all at once for all of 9 months with nothing to show for it :frowning2:... the issue i have with that is what if I find a really good deal on an hd800s or some other headphone I'm looking into somewhere or even some unexpected cost somewhere and by the time I cancel, the money gets to my bank (about 3 business days, Saturday and Sunday don't count so if it's a Friday make it 5 days) and i go to buy the thing, it'll be gone and I'll have lost out on both.
i like having the money in hand, it gives me options. i don't like basically giving what is basically an interest free loan to a company before even a single review comes out.
plus we all know that drop is gonna be in charge of who gets to try a review units, and we know they're gonna send them to reviewers that are drop's "good friends" anyways if you catch my drift.

eh, i got all negative towards the end but despite having amazing products i personally love and almost exclusively use (hd6XX, most of my amps and some iems i own are bought off drop) drop does not have the best reputation in the industry at all...
I agree with @tkddans. Just wait till there are more reviews and the wait is shorter. By waiting a bit you might lose out on some perks, you will gain in peace of mind.

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #173 of 248
sadly i don't seem to qualify for paypal credit so that's gonna be 1100$
What Paypal credit? I do not remember reading about it before...

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #175 of 248
What Paypal credit? I do not remember reading about it before...
When you go to checkout on Drop, you have the option to use PayPal. If you have it set up on PayPal, you can use PayPal credit whenever you use PayPal. Their credit system allows for 6 months to go by without charging any interest on anything purchased.

Use it on Drop and yea, you can spread out the payment over 6 months or pay it all later. As long as it is before 6 months is over, no obligations or charges.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #176 of 248
if you have good credit score, paypal lets you pay for stuff in multiple payments

When you go to checkout on Drop, you have the option to use PayPal. If you have it set up on PayPal, you can use PayPal credit whenever you use PayPal. Their credit system allows for 6 months to go by without charging any interest on anything purchased.
Got it - thanks guys. I thought "paypal credit" mentioned before was some sort of "cash back" in the form of crediting you back some of the cost...
Thanks for clarifying :)

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #177 of 248
I'm a noob but I've recently (past several months) purchased a few items from Drop and have been very pleased with them. They all shipped before the estimated delivery date and arrived nicely packaged, that was a nice surprise.

I'm very excited about these HD 8XX and already placed my order. I don't have the same experience as many of you, but this will be my first really 'high-end' set of headphones and I see this as a great way to jump into the deep end of the pool. I already used my $200 Drop credit to order the AAA THX 789... so the hardest part for me is going to be waiting to get these bad boys!

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #178 of 248
FYI these are open back and will leak sound, so maybe not an ideal choice for an office setting.

FYI these are open back and will leak sound, so maybe not an ideal choice for an office setting.
Yes this is true. In my case the office has doors, and I have acoustic panels installed.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #179 of 248
I really find this drop to be tempting, but also uninviting for me since I already have an HD 800 lying around which I have not used for going on 5 years now, because of its well-known "curses" of occasional treble peakiness and relatively underwhelming bass. To be fair, it has also been easy for me to avoid using the HD 800, because I have had many better sounding alternatives, mostly planars, so I have not really felt that I was missing anything.

The announcement of this Drop has however brought one idea to mind : modding my Hd800. I have heard many times that the original HD 800 can be modded to sound similar to the HD800 S or even better. I am thinking, therefore, that having my original HD 800 modded like this to my own customized preferences would make more sense than going for the HD 8XX, which still has several unknown--and yet to be experienced-- X-factor attributes and uncertainties presently linked to it, notably the X-factor of its sound quality.

I certainly wish and hope, for the sake of those investing in the Hd 8XX, that it would indeed turn out to be all they hoped for and even more, if possible.

For myself, I find it more practical to look for an HD800 modder for my own unit, one who knows what they're doing, since I couldn't mod a pin if my life depended on it.

If any one knows of such a modder who can help me, kindly let me know.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #180 of 248
I really find this drop to be tempting, but also uninviting for me since I already have an HD 800 lying around which I have not used for going on 5 years now, because of its well-known "curses" of occasional treble peakiness and relatively underwhelming bass. To be fair, it has also been easy for me to avoid using the HD 800, because I have had many better sounding alternatives, mostly planars, so I have not really felt that I was missing anything.

The announcement of this Drop has however brought one idea to mind : modding my Hd800. I have heard many times that the original HD 800 can be modded to sound similar to the HD800 S or even better. I am thinking, therefore, that having my original HD 800 modded like this to my own customized preferences would make more sense than going for the HD 8XX, which still has several unknown--and yet to be experienced-- X-factor attributes and uncertainties presently linked to it, notably the X-factor of its sound quality.

I certainly wish and hope, for the sake of those investing in the Hd 8XX, that it would indeed turn out to be all they hoped for and even more, if possible.

For myself, I find it more practical to look for an HD800 modder for my own unit, one who knows what they're doing, since I couldn't mod a pin if my life depended on it.

If any one knows of such a modder who can help me, kindly let me know.
You will find lot of mod that you can do on your own and yes Modded 800 is definitely better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back