New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Feb 22, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #121 of 248
Well the rumor is that Sennheiser may be selling of or ending their consumer audio division.

Well, actually it is not only a rumor, they "invited other companies to invest", whatever that means.
And yeas, I agree, great moment to snatch up a HD800S for a great price. I am even thinking of getting the HD820, hoping that some eq-ing could overcome the tuning disaster it is. Technically, it should be ok.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #122 of 248
Expensive headphones get into art territory at a point, but for the ears. When you can’t find the sound that a pair of headphones makes, but that signature nonetheless resonates with you in a meaningful way, it becomes something you would spend a lot of money to have in your life.

He is right. The HD800S is really not worth that much money for their capabilities or balanced signature (there’s little bass extension).

It’s worth it only if the person wants it that badly. If you don’t love them that much, if you can find the neutrality of the 600 series more pleasing, then you’re fortunate to have such a better value proposition and be at peace with it.

I have the 650 and I would never consider selling my 800S just because the 650 is a better value proposition. Sure it is, but it doesn’t have what I love about the 800S.
“It’s worth it only if the person wants it that badly.” Those are the truest words spoken in this thread.

Some are stating this headphone will be great and is worth it. Others are saying this headphone will be a poor derivative, and not worth it.

Each individual consumer is the only metric of whether a product is worth it or not to them, not what someone else thinks, Collectively, how large numbers of consumers feel will dictate if something is worth it for the manufacturer to build and seller to sell.

Don’t let others tell you what is or is not worth it. Also, how you personally feel as an individual is irrelevant to Sennheiser and Drop.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #124 of 248
Hey guys I see a lot of nagging without any reason.

It is a free market , they set the rules.

If you are ok with them then go for it otherwise just skip.
I agree. I think the level of complaining is so high as the expectations/hopes were also very high for such a beloved and iconic headphone. I personally am keeping an open mind until I can either demo them myself, or read some reviews from trusted reviewers.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #126 of 248
EDIT:: I’m almost surprised more people aren’t getting the 8xx, given the low price for the brand and the chance future production may not be certain.
Fortunately not everyone is victim of today's marketing bs tactics, this on top of the pandemic and a ****ing 9 months pre order, like a kickstarter campaign from a noname brand, you also have terrible support for EU countries, all of this for a product we don't even know how it sounds. Surprise is not the word I'd use for this mess.

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #127 of 248
The HD8XX have potential to become unicorns (low limited production), more so if Sennheiser headphone division goes out of business or pivots into gaming headsets with RGB. So from an experience perspective it’s an interesting proposition, it might be a huge failure but it might also be great. So I’ve joined the preorder, and I’ll hopefully be able to experience them.

Drop’s behavior is a little shady, but Sennheiser is going to build these in Germany, so quality shouldn’t be an issue.

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #128 of 248
Fortunately not everyone is victim of today's marketing bs tactics, this on top of the pandemic and a ****ing 9 months pre order, like a kickstarter campaign from a noname brand, you also have terrible support for EU countries, all of this for a product we don't even know how it sounds. Surprise is not the word I'd use for this mess.
You’re not wrong. The industry may indeed need to figure out how to lower prices. It’s also very much like something out of Kickstarter where they want orders in advance of any reviews, as if they’re signaling to us that it’ll help them finance production.

But....unlike Kickstarter, it seems there’s better recourse if something happens along the way. Pre-orders may be cancelled any time. Orders received and even tried out can be returned for a full refund (no restocking fee or questions asked). People have been suggesting there’s a risk or leap of faith to pre-order, but it’s the opposite. We get to try these out and return them for free.

There’s literally zero risk when they allow you to return it, even after opening it and trying it.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #129 of 248
You’re not wrong. The industry may indeed need to figure out how to lower prices. It’s also very much like something out of Kickstarter where they want orders in advance of any reviews, as if they’re signaling to us that it’ll help them finance production.

But....unlike Kickstarter, it seems there’s better recourse if something happens along the way. Pre-orders may be cancelled any time. Orders received and even tried out can be returned for a full refund (no restocking fee or questions asked). People have been suggesting there’s a risk or leap of faith to pre-order, but it’s the opposite. We get to try these out and return them for free.

There’s literally zero risk when they allow you to return it, even after opening it and trying it.
Amen brother. Finally an injection of good, old-fashioned common sense. I wish I could like this post more than once.

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #132 of 248
The HE-1 is not a commercial product, it is a show piece not meant for commoners like me.
I beg to differ, it is a commercial product, and just that; a commercial[advertising], and nothing more for 99.999999%+ of people.
8XX is real and progress, nobody doubts that, but is it enough for 5-6 years? Not forgetting the left out Europe.

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #133 of 248
I beg to differ, it is a commercial product, and just that; a commercial[advertising], and nothing more for 99.999999%+ of people.
8XX is real and progress, nobody doubts that, but is it enough for 5-6 years? Not forgetting the left out Europe.
Well, my point was that HD800S is for most consumers the Sennheiser flagship. But I let it be ... of course is the HE-1 the star / showpiece of their work, so one can call it flagship as well. But anyway ... no, I do not think it is enough for 5-6 years (and given that HD800/HD800S were so close, it is more 13 years). The relative failure of the HD820 did not help either. But that's why the company stands where it is now. It's a pity.

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #134 of 248
All good reasons for YOU not to buy. But maybe not good reasons for others. The awesome thing is that we have a variety of products to choose from, and the free will to make those choices.

Peace be with you!

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #135 of 248
The most curious note is around 9k your getting a touch more air which would be a sense of openness that is very important, as it is an attibute that most custom mods or resonators kill off.
This trebles is most probably like the HD800S with a more original HD800 top end air.
I thought that the 9kHz dip is to offset the concha gain at that frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back