New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #91 of 248
I have the HD 800 (not the HD 800S). I confess that I'm tempted by this drop since there are aspects of the original's tuning that are not the best. My problem is in determining whether the investment would be worth it, which I cannot satisfactorily do without hearing the HD 8XX or at least reading a review about how favorably it compares. The other question concerns to what extent the OG version can be modded to sound like the HD 8XX.'

A related question is whether there is a mod that is capable of making the OG version sound like the HD 800S. If there is one, what is it called, and what does it entail?

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #92 of 248
I have the HD 800 (not the HD 800S). I confess that I'm tempted by this drop since there are aspects of the original's tuning that are not the best. My problem is in determining whether the investment would be worth it, which I cannot satisfactorily do without hearing the HD 8XX or at least reading a review about how favorably it compares. The other question concerns to what extent the OG version can be modded to sound like the HD 8XX.'

A related question is whether there is a mod that is capable of making the OG version sound like the HD 800S. If there is one, what is it called, and what does it entail?

The sdr mod for the og 800 will bring it closer to the 800s. I actually like the sdr modded 800 more than I liked the 800S.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #93 of 248
Do any of the people here realise how much alternative interest are you loosing here when financing their project 9 months before they even start?
put your money on some crypto like bitcoin and youll have at least double by november.
Even put it on a good stock and youll make easily half of your money by that time with a little brain.

DROP are pigs. they sell you the headphones for profit, and with all the revenues they make more money. and thats even before making expenses to create the batch.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #94 of 248
DROP are pigs. they sell you the headphones for profit, and with all the revenues they make more money. and thats even before making expenses to create the batch.
So they’re supposed to sell items for a loss instead? So you’re basically saying anyone who believes in Capitalism is a pig?

You sound like the prototypical Ken here. How about you don’t buy them, and take a relaxing vacation instead.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #97 of 248
So they’re supposed to sell items for a loss instead? So you’re basically saying anyone who believes in Capitalism is a pig?

You sound like the prototypical Ken here. How about you don’t buy them, and take a relaxing vacation instead.
im just saying people should take into consideration the pricing which is MORE expensive than buying a hd800s for 1400$ if you take into account timing aspects.

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #98 of 248
No company in their right mind does anything if it doesn’t make financial sense. Even if they say they just about cover their losses, then it usually means they can afford to do so because they’re bringing in revenue from elsewhere. This applies to DROP and Sennheiser. I don’t think they should be demonised for something every other company does.

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #99 of 248
im just saying people should take into consideration the pricing which is MORE expensive than buying a hd800s for 1400$ if you take into account timing aspects.
Okay, so in a figurative way, and if one is willing to invest $1100, and if the market doesn’t tank, and if they invested in the right stocks, then you could say that the 8XX costs more than the 800S.

But in a literal sense, these cost $500 less than a new 800S. New 800S is $1400. These are $1100 + $200 credit on Drop = $900.

But the biggest point you aren’t factoring is that these aren’t an 800S. They have a different tuning, different driver material, and 2 helmholz resonators now. So regardless of the posted frequency response, no one knows exactly how these will sound. It is possible to have more treble energy at a given frequency, and yet sound smoother. It’s not just the quantity of the treble that matters, the quality is even more important. If the tech eliminates ringing and resonances better than the 800S, then the 8XX treble could sound both smoother and clearer. Then combine that with slightly more mid bass and sub bass that no longer rolls off all the way down to 15hz and these may end up being endgame headphones for many audiophiles.

But no one knows since no one has heard them yet. Time will tell. I just don’t get all the pointless, speculative, hate posts that contribute nothing to the conversation.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #100 of 248
Okay, so in a figurative way, and if one is willing to invest $1100, and if the market doesn’t tank, and if they invested in the right stocks, then you could say that the 8XX costs more than the 800S.

But in a literal sense, these cost $500 less than a new 800S. New 800S is $1400. These are $1100 + $200 credit on Drop = $900.

But the biggest point you aren’t factoring in is that these aren’t an 800S. They have a different tuning, different driver material, and 2 helmholz resonators now. So regardless of the posted frequency response, no one knows exactly how these will sound. It is possible to have more treble energy at a given frequency, and yet sound smoother. It’s not just the quantity of the treble that matters, the quality is even more important. If the the tech eliminates ringing and resonances better than the 800S, then the 8XX treble could sound both smoother and clearer. Then combine that with slightly more mid bass and sub bass that no longer rolls off all the way down to 15hz and these may end up being endgame headphones for many audiophiles.

But no one knows since no one has heard them yet. Time will tell. I just don’t get all the pointless, speculative, hate posts that contribute nothing to the conversation.
Im with you, just wanted to make people realize the financial point of view this should be looked with.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #101 of 248

But the biggest point you aren’t factoring is that these aren’t an 800S. They have a different tuning, different driver material, and 2 helmholz resonators now. So regardless of the posted frequency response, no one knows exactly how these will sound. It is possible to have more treble energy at a given frequency, and yet sound smoother. It’s not just the quantity of the treble that matters, the quality is even more important. If the tech eliminates ringing and resonances better than the 800S, then the 8XX treble could sound both smoother and clearer. Then combine that with slightly more mid bass and sub bass that no longer rolls off all the way down to 15hz and these may end up being endgame headphones for many audiophiles.

Posters who have nothing constructive or civil to say is what the ignore option is for...

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #102 of 248
More bassy HD800S... To me the bass on the original HD800S needs to be improved in quality and not in quantity.
On the other hand it is not achievable with a dynamic driver anyway.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #104 of 248
Funny that people are annoy by this headphone but not the Focal Clear MG Professional.
Yeah, I think it's mainly Drop's "bad" reputation with ship dates and questionable build quality issues (Elex driver failures, build quality, etc.) I've only had positive experiences with Drop, so I can't speak for the issues. But often, those build quality issues like the Elex are at the fault of the manufacturer, not Drop. So, I trust that Sennheiser will properly manufacture the 8XX with little issues if their excellent track record of the 6XX is anything to go by. And hopefully they improve upon the 800S, because I thought the 58X does many things that outperform even the 6XX.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #105 of 248

800S cost only $1,260 at Sennheiser US with WELCOME10.
8XX cost $1,100 ($900 if you actually have something you want from Drop) without balanced cable. Add a OG XLR cable and the cost goes back up to $1,200.
So you get a massive saving of a whopping $60 after waiting 9+ months for a new tuning which might/might not be an upgrade.

Furthermore with 8XX you get the "trustworthy" warranty service of Drop for 2 years, and who knows which 3rd party repairer after 2 years.
With 800S, you know Sennheiser will always be ready to repair after the 2 years warranty is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back