New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 4, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,771 of 2,814
Mini gets synergy with so many HP very easy. In past year a i tested about 20 HP and all of them sound very good with Mini.
I couldnt agree more

If you look at all the headphones in my signature, every SINGLE one of them sounds fantastic with the mini. I have yet to find a headphone that doesnt sound well with it. Sometimes the mini even gives my beloved Elise a run for its money.

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,773 of 2,814
greetings

can i ask how gx mini pairs with lcd 4 and hifiman he1000se

- will I have an issue with any of those in terms of tonality, as the hifiman he1000se, as it has lots of detail, will the gx mini be a good match for it, or will it add too much detail

-as for lcd4 does it have the power to drive it with authority

-finally what is great dac to pair it with to achieve a musical organic sound that is not harsh or analytical

- would the violectirc 550 be a better amp in general or the violectric 590 as a one device do all

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #1,776 of 2,814
Anyone has a Bifrost 2 stack over the mini?
Wondering if it creates too much heat?
I would not recommend stacking components on top of the Mini without something like the fan I am using. The Mini can get quite hot at full operating temperature. I posted a picture of my stack on the previous page of this thread.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,777 of 2,814
I would not recommend stacking components on top of the Mini without something like the fan I am using. The Mini can get quite hot at full operating temperature. I posted a picture of my stack on the previous page of this thread.
I will install the BF2 on the shelf below and get longer XLR interconnects. Thanks for the advice.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,778 of 2,814
2020 was quite a year. I pre-ordered and waited a long time to finally receive my satin red GSXmini with DACT and was excited to receive it. Then WFH began as did my pairing down of gear to a few essential items including my HD600's.

I then began modding Monoprice Liquid Platinum amps for members here and could not overlook the crazy good synergy of HD600 with LP, it was too good and forced me to sell of the mini in short order. The liquid platinum is a great amp. I was a long hold out on because of the tubes and knowing that I would go down the tube rabbit hole and constantly be lost in it. While not totally true, I was lost in the LP and finally a few months ago I was able to stop myself. The synergy with the HD6 series phones was still their, but I finally manage to get ahold of a 4-screw HE6 and it did not play nicely with the LP.

I went through a few amps after the LP and then finally the GRPS arrived for my GLMK2 which works surprisingly well with the HE6, but really was meant for running HD6XX's as an alternative, more relaxed signature to go with the Hifimans'. I tried to settle on a Freya/Vidar setup but just could not get over the fact that It was only a good match with the HE6...the HD6XX was just too sensitive for a speaker amp. I then stumbled upon a LFF modded HE5LE (code LEX) to go with the HE6 (one for home, one for office) thinking it would go well with the GLMK2 setup. It did, and it then got me thinking that I needed to have one great system to run all my headphones...enter back in the thought of owning the GSX-mini!

The GLMK2 with GRPS is what sealed the deal that I was going to move up the Headamp ladder and again own the GSX-mini. This time I purchased used from @Voxata who had a low serial number Gloss Red (and gloss black) unit with DACT volume. I thought I was a bigger fan of the satin red, but the gloss red is actually much nicer looking than I thought it would be and prefer it. I have only been running the mini for a few days now, but I am having a hard time understanding how I could have been so foolish as to sell it back in the early summer (but then again their were plenty of reasons at that time).

Aside: I generally am a proponent of a speaker amp for the HE6, and I still will be picking one up for that reason, but the GSX mini powers them with good control and extension.

The point of this ramble is both to show my support of Headamp and this great amp and to get the discussion going some more. I will have listening impressions in the next few weeks pairing the mini with the Gungnir MB w/unison and also the Qutest.

I also would be willing to trade anyone a gloss black faceplate and hardware if they have a more interesting color!

Happy Listening.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,779 of 2,814
2020 was quite a year. I pre-ordered and waited a long time to finally receive my satin red GSXmini with DACT and was excited to receive it. Then WFH began as did my pairing down of gear to a few essential items including my HD600's.

I then began modding Monoprice Liquid Platinum amps for members here and could not overlook the crazy good synergy of HD600 with LP, it was too good and forced me to sell of the mini in short order. The liquid platinum is a great amp. I was a long hold out on because of the tubes and knowing that I would go down the tube rabbit hole and constantly be lost in it. While not totally true, I was lost in the LP and finally a few months ago I was able to stop myself. The synergy with the HD6 series phones was still their, but I finally manage to get ahold of a 4-screw HE6 and it did not play nicely with the LP.

I went through a few amps after the LP and then finally the GRPS arrived for my GLMK2 which works surprisingly well with the HE6, but really was meant for running HD6XX's as an alternative, more relaxed signature to go with the Hifimans'. I tried to settle on a Freya/Vidar setup but just could not get over the fact that It was only a good match with the HE6...the HD6XX was just too sensitive for a speaker amp. I then stumbled upon a LFF modded HE5LE (code LEX) to go with the HE6 (one for home, one for office) thinking it would go well with the GLMK2 setup. It did, and it then got me thinking that I needed to have one great system to run all my headphones...enter back in the thought of owning the GSX-mini!

The GLMK2 with GRPS is what sealed the deal that I was going to move up the Headamp ladder and again own the GSX-mini. This time I purchased used from @Voxata who had a low serial number Gloss Red (and gloss black) unit with DACT volume. I thought I was a bigger fan of the satin red, but the gloss red is actually much nicer looking than I thought it would be and prefer it. I have only been running the mini for a few days now, but I am having a hard time understanding how I could have been so foolish as to sell it back in the early summer (but then again their were plenty of reasons at that time).

Aside: I generally am a proponent of a speaker amp for the HE6, and I still will be picking one up for that reason, but the GSX mini powers them with good control and extension.

The point of this ramble is both to show my support of Headamp and this great amp and to get the discussion going some more. I will have listening impressions in the next few weeks pairing the mini with the Gungnir MB w/unison and also the Qutest.

I also would be willing to trade anyone a gloss black faceplate and hardware if they have a more interesting color!

Happy Listening.
Congrats on the LEX and GS-X, that's a lovely combo. I still rather enjoy my Code-X2.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,781 of 2,814
Thanks, its is a very good combination! What did you find out was the cause of your Code-X2 cutting out? Is the X2 some revision of the code X? It does not look like wood cups on your version.
Very poor wiring. I'd say the X2 is a progression of the Code-X. And no, I opted to keep away from wood cups for ultimate longevity.
I found both X2 and LEX better than the Code-sex (x6 FWIW.) They're all great in their own ways.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,782 of 2,814
@ksorota I'm very happy to hear the amp is treating you well. With those headphones I had no doubt it'd be a home run. The DACT is fantastic and considering the cost of the pot Headamp has the upgrade priced very reasonably. It was tough to let it go but since switching over to 95% nearfield listening the thought of letting the GS-X Mini sit so much was a no-go. I sure do miss what it brought to the table when I do use cans, as the iDSD BL isn't even in the same realm.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,783 of 2,814
Very poor wiring. I'd say the X2 is a progression of the Code-X. And no, I opted to keep away from wood cups for ultimate longevity.
I found both X2 and LEX better than the Code-sex (x6 FWIW.) They're all great in their own ways.

The LEX sounds just about perfect on the mini. In contrast the HE6 is a bit muted sounding (not enough power is likely the reason). But even when I was running the Vidar/HE6 setup I dont remember them having the air and sparkle that the LEX is displaying right now. I am hearing much better detail and separation between instruments. This is simultaneously the best and worst part of Head-fi...I should be happy and just listen, but now I want to compare and choose a winner!

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #1,784 of 2,814

Happy Listening.
Nicely write! Tks for sharing. So If I only use the Sen HD6x0, the LP will sound better than the Mini on them?

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,785 of 2,814
Nicely write! Tks for sharing. So If I only use the Sen HD6x0, the LP will sound better than the Mini on them?
I’ll start by saying that My preference is towards the HD600, which is what i was using at the time.

In its the stock form, I don’t think so

The LP took on another character after the cap mod and introduction of 12au7 tubes. The improved clarity and dynamics were hard to ignore especially when put up against the mini.

At the time I also had the Ether c flow which was much better sounding in the mini. The Senn sounds good on both but for the price to performance factor the LP was the winner

Both amps stock with HD600 mini wins. Maybe it was the mod i did to the LP, or just the realization that tubes make the Senns amazing that made me sell everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back