New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,786 of 2,819
The LEX sounds just about perfect on the mini. In contrast the HE6 is a bit muted sounding (not enough power is likely the reason). But even when I was running the Vidar/HE6 setup I dont remember them having the air and sparkle that the LEX is displaying right now. I am hearing much better detail and separation between instruments. This is simultaneously the best and worst part of Head-fi...I should be happy and just listen, but now I want to compare and choose a winner!
I feel the LEX is the most airy of the Code variants, the X2 is more balanced, and the X6 a bit disjointed. I feel Luis never spent an appreciable time smoothing these out. I sent my pair in shortly after @cskippy first introduced the Code Sex to LFF. I prefer alternative mods to the 6 variant.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,787 of 2,819
I feel the LEX is the most airy of the Code variants, the X2 is more balanced, and the X6 a bit disjointed. I feel Luis never spent an appreciable time smoothing these out. I sent my pair in shortly after @cskippy first introduced the Code Sex to LFF. I prefer alternative mods to the 6 variant.

I’m pretty sure i even read that luis did not want to use the HE6 simply due to the power requirements and users not liking them because of it.

I picked up a EARS system and was going to try some of the well documented mods to my HE6, but honestly not sure i need to even bother. These old HFM headphones are something else and the mini drives them spectacularly.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,788 of 2,819
I’m pretty sure i even read that luis did not want to use the HE6 simply due to the power requirements and users not liking them because of it.

I picked up a EARS system and was going to try some of the well documented mods to my HE6, but honestly not sure i need to even bother. These old HFM headphones are something else and the mini drives them spectacularly.
Who knows with Luis. This was also at the time when he was stepping back from modding. He did seem to like the X6 but clearly was more enthralled with the X2.

I'd stick with the Mini. If anything, scale with an TC and call it. :wink:

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,789 of 2,819
The gs-x mini is a charm to gaze upon. I wonder if there is any aftermarket acrylic (glass) top plate for the gs-x mini?
By the way, is anyone also interesting in a "wooden" faceplate for the mini? This will look sick with the ZMF phones.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,791 of 2,819
I just took the plung and ordered the GS-X Mini. I am going to be using it with my Abyss Diana Phi's. I will be using my T+A DAC as the source for now and using a Black Dragon 4-pin cable. I am really looking forward to receiving this amplifier!

I watch a video from the guys over at Abyss the other day. They really like the Mini. They were rating various amps and giving them an over all category rating. They actually rated the Mini higher than the GS-X mk2. They felt that the mk2 is getting a little dated and the newer tech in the Mini they actually liked better.

Abyss also recommends the standard volume control over the stepped version. Anyway, I am looking forward to receiving it.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #1,792 of 2,819
I just took the plung and ordered the GS-X Mini. I am going to be using it with my Abyss Diana Phi's. I will be using my T+A DAC as the source for now and using a Black Dragon 4-pin cable. I am really looking forward to receiving this amplifier!

I watch a video from the guys over at Abyss the other day. They really like the Mini. They were rating various amps and giving them an over all category rating. They actually rated the Mini higher than the GS-X mk2. They felt that the mk2 is getting a little dated and the newer tech in the Mini they actually liked better.

Abyss also recommends the standard volume control over the stepped version. Anyway, I am looking forward to receiving it.

I'm still enjoying my mini! It's been a lot of fun, it's an excellent amp! Enjoy!!

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,794 of 2,819
Occasionally I contemplate selling the Mini but what else would I get?
Exactly, that’s why I keep it.

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,795 of 2,819
not a lot better for the money

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,797 of 2,819
I'm selling my GS-X mini to get Niimbus but it cost 2,5x more...
The way up always hurts the wallet, but the Nimbus (and Nimbus+) are both amazing from what I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back