New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,186 of 2,828
Well that’s a shame the MJ2 it’s just “ok” on detail. You can get the V281 on sale every now and then, not sure how that competes with the Mini. It seems like the ICan Pro has been left behind in comparison though.

Really good SS that do a lot right (tonality, soundstage, etc) are hard to come by. I think the lack of listening impressions are also because this amp has big backlogs and people have reported waiting up to 3 months to get it. Hopefully with ramped up production we’ll start seeing more listening impressions.

May 11, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,187 of 2,828
Really good SS that do a lot right (tonality, soundstage, etc) are hard to come by. I think the lack of listening impressions are also because this amp has big backlogs and people have reported waiting up to 3 months to get it. Hopefully with ramped up production we’ll start seeing more listening impressions.
Well the mini has been out for a while and reviewed. The backlog has reportedly been fixed as there is now an “only” confirmed three week wait. I think there is just a given here that the mini is a quality product that is superior to most in it’s price bracket.

May 11, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,189 of 2,828
As someone who had the LP and MJ2 both with relatively good tubes, I definitely like the Mini over both of them.
Especially when it comes to clean transient response, low end extension, and generally more macro/micro detail. MJ2 with good tubes can get you better macrodynamics, but it feels too exaggerated to me and dynamics of the Mini seems to be more natural but still impactful.
But even being hybrids, the LP especially had nice tube decay and good depth perception. However for a SS amp, the Mini does an excellent job at not giving you that “flat plane” kind of response that I got from amps like the THX ones.
Compared to its bigger sibling the Mk2, I would have liked a bit more dynamics and treble extension in the Mini, but a relatively warmer tone fits more of my listening preference anyway.

May 12, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,190 of 2,828
As someone who had the LP and MJ2 both with relatively good tubes, I definitely like the Mini over both of them.
Especially when it comes to clean transient response, low end extension, and generally more macro/micro detail. MJ2 with good tubes can get you better macrodynamics, but it feels too exaggerated to me and dynamics of the Mini seems to be more natural but still impactful.
But even being hybrids, the LP especially had nice tube decay and good depth perception. However for a SS amp, the Mini does an excellent job at not giving you that “flat plane” kind of response that I got from amps like the THX ones.
Compared to its bigger sibling the Mk2, I would have liked a bit more dynamics and treble extension in the Mini, but a relatively warmer tone fits more of my listening preference anyway.

I've noticed this too - the MJ2 seems to respond to the gain boost from the tubes which results in pretty beefy dynamics to the point where I have to turn the volume down sometimes. Does the MK2 have better soundstage than the Mini as well? If I go for the $3k route it would either be the MK2 or one of Doug from ECP's amps.

The MK2 seems more appealing to me from a sound perspective since I'm planning on going for a Spring DAC which to me has a sweeter, warmish tone so perhaps with the Mini that would be too much of a good thing?

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,191 of 2,828
I've noticed this too - the MJ2 seems to respond to the gain boost from the tubes which results in pretty beefy dynamics to the point where I have to turn the volume down sometimes. Does the MK2 have better soundstage than the Mini as well? If I go for the $3k route it would either be the MK2 or one of Doug from ECP's amps.

The MK2 seems more appealing to me from a sound perspective since I'm planning on going for a Spring DAC which to me has a sweeter, warmish tone so perhaps with the Mini that would be too much of a good thing?
Mk2 has more “height” in its presentation than the Mini. Also usually more unforgiving towards poor mastering. I don’t think the pairing would be too warm, but that’s just my opinion. Spring 2 is a Dac I’ve had my eyes on for a while, would love to hear your impressions on it once you get it.

DSHA-3F and BW2 are SS amps I really want to listen to someday as well.

May 13, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,192 of 2,828
Ordered a purple one tonight, can't wait to hear it.

May 13, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,193 of 2,828
20200513_155308_HDR.jpg

Epic battle incoming!
It's normal that i hear hum on high gain?
I'm little disappointed about that...

May 13, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #1,197 of 2,828
Well i think i will be selling GS-X mini soon.
It's not that my taste.
Yes, it has better resolution, revelant and soundstage than my Pro ICan on SS mode
But i don't want AMP that brings evrything out.
Pro ICan is dead silinet on evry gain not like GS-X mini.
Pro ICan is more smooth, musical, and has tubes :)

May 13, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,198 of 2,828
Well i think i will be selling GS-X mini soon.
It's not that my taste.
Yes, it has better resolution, revelant and soundstage than my Pro ICan on SS mode
But i don't want AMP that brings evrything out.
Pro ICan is dead silinet on evry gain not like GS-X mini.
Pro ICan is more smooth, musical, and has tubes :)

what headphones are you getting noise with ? One of the things the few people have mentioned together is how silent this amp is without noise. I find it odd you have this issue ?

May 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,199 of 2,828
MrSpeakers Ether Flow, but only in high gain.
But this hum is very low, i must really strain my hearing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back