New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 1, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #1,021 of 2,818
One of the best power supplies ever with class a design... this is as good as it gets.
Besides isnt this thx tech use switched power supplies only? In mine opinion everything with switched power supplies sound lifeless...
Maybe gsx mk2 with same power supply could eclipse it, but it seems headamp wont update mk2.
One thing i dont like that they dont use atleast 128 step wolume pots.

The THX 789 and Monoprice THX 887 both use a power brick/switching power supply but the SMSL SP200 doesn't. As far as I can tell, these 3 THX amps sound really similar to one another based on the impressions I read. One advantage of the THX 789 is that it doesn't run hot, not even warm after using it for hours, probably due to using an external power supply.

There is also the Benchmark HPA4 that uses THX 888 and is probably the best THX amp out there.

I am also interested if anyone here has compared the HPA4 vs the GS-X mini.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #1,022 of 2,818
I’ve recently borrowed my friends’s RME Adi-2 Dac v2 and I was surprised how well it synergises with the GS-X mini. The mini utilizes the cleanliness and black-ground of the RME, supported by the layering/width, extension, and dynamics of the GS-X makes the combo both detailed and fun at the same time. My favorite HPs to use were the Arya, HD800S, and HD650. Unfortunately I didn’t like the Elex and Auteur pairings as much as I do with tube amps.

A87BEF27-51CE-4C12-BD19-2D1E6861F84F.jpeg

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #1,023 of 2,818
How did you guys order the mini in matte black? I don't see the option on its webpage.

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,026 of 2,818
Thanks for pointing that out - I will get it added. For now, just order Polished Black and include a note in "Special Instructions" on the shopping cart before you hit Checkout.

Thanks, Justin.
Have just placed my order.
I put matte black under special instructions.. I hope it went thru with the order as I can't seem to find the submitted request on the order summary page.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,028 of 2,818
Just placed my order - matte black as well. Anyone here waiting and for how long?
Mine took about a week. And it’s absolutely fantastic. I would just make sure you send an extra note about color/finish. I ordered matte black but received polished black; but no matter it’s still beautiful and the sound is even better. I wrote the following in another thread ...

I have been loving the VC with GSX-Mini (and Qutest as DAC). I tinkered around with a few other combinations of gear and have landed on the above and find the combination stellar.

Granted, consider I am new to this hobby and haven’t ever in my life heard a tube amp so I can’t offer any comparison there.

Still, I do feel I can confidently say the Mini with the VC will give you excellent speed, punch, detail, and soundstage. And maybe most importantly I love that I can listen loud without any fatigue.

Also for context: I am a touch treble sensitive and found the Auralic Taurus (with Qutest and VC) a touch on the sharp side, whereas I can crank up the Mini and get robust bass and punch down low without having to endure any high pitches.

I didn’t have any issues regarding treble with the Qutest/VC/Gilmore Lite, a combo I also loved. I had a balanced cord and figured I’d try the Mini as an upgrade (for lack of a better term since the Gilmore Lite truly is fantastic In it’s own right). The GSX-Mini, running balanced, to me lends a bit more soundstage. (I think I’m using the term correctly ..what I mean to say is that there seems to be more separation or space between instruments/sounds.)

Anyways, just some ramblings. In any event I love music and think the Verite, open or closed (have both currently, though I may part with the open) will keep a smile on my face for a very long time. And the Qutest and GSX-Mini to me really let the Verite shine and do their thing!

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,030 of 2,818
Mine took about a week. And it’s absolutely fantastic. I would just make sure you send an extra note about color/finish. I ordered matte black but received polished black; but no matter it’s still beautiful and the sound is even better. I wrote the following in another thread ...

Only a week? That is fantastic! After I placed my order I PM'd HeadAmp to confirm they saw my "Matte Black" request in the instructions. And they did, so, we will see. I would be peaved if I received the wrong finish and would likely send it back :-| but that champagne finish had my eye to. Was tough to decide but all my kit is black so...

I have a pair of LCD-X on the way to pair with this mini. Hoping this is an end game. At least temporarilly. Took a big jump up to get here. Should be an exciting week ahead if not a revelation.

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,031 of 2,818
Still, I do feel I can confidently say the Mini with the VC will give you excellent speed, punch, detail, and soundstage.

Can you hear any background noise (hiss) with Verite C? For example, when music is paused?
What is output impedance of this amp?

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,033 of 2,818
I don't hear any noise on my mini with the VC or any HP for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back