New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Nov 30, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #992 of 2,814
Fresh boards! If you ordered, you're about to get it

gsx-mini-pcb.jpg

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #994 of 2,814
For anyone who has received theirs already, have you used a preamp with the GS-X mini, as in before the signal gets to the amp, not using the GS-X mini as a preamp?

I read somewhere in another thread about using preamps with headphone amps and that if the headphone amp also has preamp functionality, it could cause major problems if a stand-alone preamp is added to the chain before reaching the headphone amp. Just curious about results. I'm dying to get this and so to fill the time, I keep looking into additional gear I absolutely do not need. :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #995 of 2,814
I read somewhere in another thread about using preamps with headphone amps and that if the headphone amp also has preamp functionality, it could cause major problems if a stand-alone preamp is added to the chain before reaching the headphone amp. Just curious about results. I'm dying to get this and so to fill the time, I keep looking into additional gear I absolutely do not need. :)

Pre-amp before headamp is likely to reduce fidelity or cause issues. I'm not really sure why you'd want to do that.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #996 of 2,814
Pre-amp before headamp is likely to reduce fidelity or cause issues. I'm not really sure why you'd want to do that.

Can you explain the reasoning behind this. The headphone amp doesn't know it's a preamp or a DAC being connected. It's merely an analog input. I've hooked them up both ways with high end components. The only major differences I've noticed is volume/ noise floor between balanced and single ended input cables. I hope you can share your thoughts on this...

DAC>Preamp>GSX-mini is one input
DAC>GSX-mini is another

I have two DACs, two headphone amps, and a preamp in the main system.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #997 of 2,814
For anyone who has received theirs already, have you used a preamp with the GS-X mini, as in before the signal gets to the amp, not using the GS-X mini as a preamp?

I have the GSX-mini linked as a preamp to one of my AVR inputs. The reason is to funnel the attached DAC components through the GSX-mini using the preamp features. Don't use it much, but sources attached to the DAC are available on the AVR should I need them. Only complication is dual volume control.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #998 of 2,814
Can you explain the reasoning behind this. The headphone amp doesn't know it's a preamp or a DAC being connected. It's merely an analog input. I've hooked them up both ways with high end components. The only major differences I've noticed is volume/ noise floor between balanced and single ended input cables. I hope you can share your thoughts on this...

DAC>Preamp>GSX-mini is one input
DAC>GSX-mini is another

I have two DACs, two headphone amps, and a preamp in the main system.
I'm talking about adding another device in the chain. It's quite likely it will add noise floor and distortion. Best case it will have no effect on sound but that's the best case.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,001 of 2,814
What does the GS in GS-1, GS-X mk2 / GS-X mini stand for? Nobody has ever asked. Any guesses?
Gilmore sound

or S for someone ese involved in the first amp

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,002 of 2,814
What does the GS in GS-1, GS-X mk2 / GS-X mini stand for? Nobody has ever asked. Any guesses?
"Great crap"?

EDIT: sigh, jokefail caused by swear filter.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,004 of 2,814
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #1,005 of 2,814

Gilmore Symmetrical ?

EDIT: Except GS-1 wasn't ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back