New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #436 of 2,819
But if I order now, how much time to ship to me?

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #439 of 2,819
Yes the first batch of them are out for delivery or already delivered all this week! More will be coming, we were still waiting on silver panels (just arrived) as well as some other colors and more circuit boards. All pre-orders including the most recent one should be shipped this month.

If I order today. How much time to ship to me?

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #440 of 2,819
Email, and also HeadAmp.com account, if the order was placed that way

I know some people use several email addresses so it can get missed
Justin, I understand that the "new GS-X mini is the first HeadAmp product to deliver balanced headphone drive from all audio sources, single-ended, or balanced", however, is full power delivered through both the 4 pin and the 1/4 inch? I would assume so, but want to confirm. I'd rather not re-terminate a few of my custom cables.

Thx

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #441 of 2,819
Just preorder mine. Cant wait for this beauty in my table.

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #444 of 2,819
I'm also not aware of any balanced amp that puts out the same amount of power through the single ended output, unless the balanced output wasn't really balanced.
That makes sense. Since there aren't many amps that can turn a single ended source into balanced, I wasn't sure if you had done anything else unique on the output side. I've had two single ended amps (Wells Milo and Woo WA5 LE) that accepted RCA and XLR while outputting the same power to both 4 pin and 1/4 inch outputs, but I see the difference in this design. If your answer would have been "yes", I guess it wouldn't truly be a balanced amp. Wishful thinking on my part.... :)

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #446 of 2,819
Here are some off the cuff impressions with just about one hours warm up listening to my usual test tracks:

Fit and Finish:

*I have the medium blue color. The faceplate is gorgeous IMHO, as is the overall look of the amp. The body of the amp which seems to be powder coated has a nice look and complements the overall look nicely. All seams are tightly machined and fitted without fault. This is an expensive amplifier and it looks the part.

*The amp came packed well and was box in box. Nice use of styrofoam and packing materials made for a safe journey.

*The mini runs pretty warm, but not hot. Certainly not as hot as the LP.

Sound Impressions:...I need another hour and then I'll start to fill this in.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #448 of 2,819
Continued....

Sound Impressions:

Tone: I really like what I hear from vocalist and instruments here. Even listening to some of my "peaky" female jazz vocalist causes no problems for me with the mini. And listening to well recorded vocalist has put goosebumps on me a few times already. This is a VERY good sign for overall enjoyment for me when it comes to being truly happy with any amp. You must get the tonality spot on, or it's a fail for me. This amp does tone wonderfully. Fine detail/nuance and richness/sweetness seem to be balanced exceptionally well. Compared to the LP, the mini has more clarity and detail without signs of harshness, where the LP is softer and gentler in it's overall tonality. I can see where people would have their own preference here. If you like your amp to dig deep into the recording and pull out details that you might have not even noticed before (creaking chair of Tom Waits "Picture in a Frame") then you'll really appreciate what the mini brings to the table.

Dynamics: This is one of the most dynamic amps that I've had the pleasure to listen to. Damn, it hits hard! I'm trying to recall another amp that does dynamics in a similar way. Possibly the newer mjolnir 2 and Rag amps would give the mini a run for it's money when it comes to the ability to go from soft and subtle to full and furious without loosing control. Nevertheless, dynamic range here is outstanding.

Staging and Imaging: Sound stage is well off the shoulder when listening to recordings that have been recorded in an open setting. Nothing feels compressed in any way. Vocalist and instruments occupy their own distinctive and individual space and the parts of the whole seem to breath naturally if that makes any sense. Staging is better on the mini when compared to the LP. Imaging is excellent on both amps and I'd call that one a draw.

Bass, Treble and Mids to follow later...

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #449 of 2,819
Continued....

Sound Impressions:

Tone: I really like what I hear from vocalist and instruments here. Even listening to some of my "peaky" female jazz vocalist causes no problems for me with the mini. And listening to well recorded vocalist has put goosebumps on me a few times already. This is a VERY good sign for overall enjoyment for me when it comes to being truly happy with any amp. You must get the tonality spot on, or it's a fail for me. This amp does tone wonderfully. Fine detail/nuance and richness/sweetness seem to be balanced exceptionally well. Compared to the LP, the mini has more clarity and detail without signs of harshness, where the LP is softer and gentler in it's overall tonality. I can see where people would have their own preference here. If you like your amp to dig deep into the recording and pull out details that you might have not even noticed before (creaking chair of Tom Waits "Picture in a Frame") then you'll really appreciate what the mini brings to the table.

Dynamics: This is one of the most dynamic amps that I've had the pleasure to listen to. Damn, it hits hard! I'm trying to recall another amp that does dynamics in a similar way. Possibly the newer mjolnir 2 and Rag amps would give the mini a run for it's money when it comes to the ability to go from soft and subtle to full and furious without loosing control. Nevertheless, dynamic range here is outstanding.

Staging and Imaging: Sound stage is well off the shoulder when listening to recordings that have been recorded in an open setting. Nothing feels compressed in any way. Vocalist and instruments occupy their own distinctive and individual space and the parts of the whole seem to breath naturally if that makes any sense. Staging is better on the mini when compared to the LP. Imaging is excellent on both amps and I'd call that one a draw.

Bass, Treble and Mids to follow later...
What headphones are you using with the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back