New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #467 of 2,814
More mini impressions:

What I like:

*parts, build quality, fit and finish are exceptional. The mini has real heft to it and when I plug/unplug headphones from it, it doesn't move. The switches, potentiometer, and plugs all feel and operate with precision. The experience I get with the mini reminds me of a finely crafted European car. It exudes genuine hand craftsmanship. I like the aesthetics a lot. The rich blue face plate is just plain sexy, I must admit.

*the performance of the mini has exceeded my expectations. Some of the hallmark characteristics of the Mini's performance are: dynamics, huge staging, honest tonality and incredible grip on the driver for any headphone that I've plugged in to the amp. I've tried only four headphones with this amp but each time I get a level of performance that surprised me with the particular headphone. While ETHER 2 and hd650 were real standouts, the hd800 and Nighthawk Carbon were also impressive. This isn't just an exceptional amp for dynamic driver or for planar magnetic headphones, it does both equally well. Truly an all rounder.

*the mini gives you a wonderful reproduction of music across the spectrum. Bass has fantastic extension and smile inducing slam. Mid range has a sweet tonality and portrays vocals with a believable authentic quality. Low level detail is exceptional and I find that it hooks me into being drawn deeper and deeper into the music each time I listen.

*this is a feature rich product. It sports a very good pre-amp function. Volume control is exceptional with every headphone that I've used. The real feather in the cap though, is the conversion of SE sources to balanced output through the super symetry design. And the balanced output is where this amp really shines.

*Turning up the volume with the mini is impressive.It doesn't so much get louder as it seems with to "fill in" gradually. The SPL goes up with subtlety and doesn't overpower in a harsh way.

*flip the gain switch and you can handle power hungry headphones like the Susvara with aplomb.

Dislikes:

*this is a full class A amplier (?) and it does run quite warm. I would say that it gets to about the same temperature as the Liquid Platinum. It doesn't really concern me that much, as I've run the amp for several days with nary a hiccup. But I thought it should be pointed out.

*the price tag. While the Mini is rather expensive, I feel the price is quite fair for a hand built totl amp with a very good warranty. We each are subject to a budget and this amp will not be within reach for everyone certainly.

*footprint/size. This is a full sized desktop amp. It's not small. If the real estate on your desk is very limited then the mini may not work for you. 11.5 w by 9.5 L

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #468 of 2,814
Pretty interested in hearing how this compares to the Auralic Taurus MKII if anyone can speak to that.

I was able to hear the GSX Mini at RMAF last year but can't really remember what it sounded like. And since I just recently got the Taurus MKII in, it'd be impossible to compare by memory.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #469 of 2,814
More mini impressions:

What I like:

*parts, build quality, fit and finish are exceptional. The mini has real heft to it and when I plug/unplug headphones from it, it doesn't move. The switches, potentiometer, and plugs all feel and operate with precision. The experience I get with the mini reminds me of a finely crafted European car. It exudes genuine hand craftsmanship. I like the aesthetics a lot. The rich blue face plate is just plain sexy, I must admit.

*the performance of the mini has exceeded my expectations. Some of the hallmark characteristics of the Mini's performance are: dynamics, huge staging, honest tonality and incredible grip on the driver for any headphone that I've plugged in to the amp. I've tried only four headphones with this amp but each time I get a level of performance that surprised me with the particular headphone. While ETHER 2 and hd650 were real standouts, the hd800 and Nighthawk Carbon were also impressive. This isn't just an exceptional amp for dynamic driver or for planar magnetic headphones, it does both equally well. Truly an all rounder.

*the mini gives you a wonderful reproduction of music across the spectrum. Bass has fantastic extension and smile inducing slam. Mid range has a sweet tonality and portrays vocals with a believable authentic quality. Low level detail is exceptional and I find that it hooks me into being drawn deeper and deeper into the music each time I listen.

*this is a feature rich product. It sports a very good pre-amp function. Volume control is exceptional with every headphone that I've used. The real feather in the cap though, is the conversion of SE sources to balanced output through the super symetry design. And the balanced output is where this amp really shines.

*Turning up the volume with the mini is impressive.It doesn't so much get louder as it seems with to "fill in" gradually. The SPL goes up with subtlety and doesn't overpower in a harsh way.

*flip the gain switch and you can handle power hungry headphones like the Susvara with aplomb.

Dislikes:

*this is a full class A amplier (?) and it does run quite warm. I would say that it gets to about the same temperature as the Liquid Platinum. It doesn't really concern me that much, as I've run the amp for several days with nary a hiccup. But I thought it should be pointed out.

*the price tag. While the Mini is rather expensive, I feel the price is quite fair for a hand built totl amp with a very good warranty. We each are subject to a budget and this amp will not be within reach for everyone certainly.

*footprint/size. This is a full sized desktop amp. It's not small. If the real estate on your desk is very limited then the mini may not work for you. 11.5 w by 9.5 L

Thanks for all of the impressions...really building the suspense. I am very excited to pick up this amp, I have been debating just sticking with the GLMK2 and waiting for the new power supply, but it sounds like this is going to be a great upgrade and long term amp!!!

@justin w. , any chances you have some red units ready to ship out?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #470 of 2,814
More mini impressions:

What I like:

Dislikes:

Would you say this is a considerable improvement over your LP, for the extra money?

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #472 of 2,814
Thanks for all of the impressions...really building the suspense. I am very excited to pick up this amp, I have been debating just sticking with the GLMK2 and waiting for the new power supply, but it sounds like this is going to be a great upgrade and long term amp!!!

@justin w. , any chances you have some red units ready to ship out?

They're coming in waves, still a while before we have shipped all pre-orders. Justin&co are working hard to get them out ASAP, but all good things in time, my friend.

GLMK2 power supply is coming, but later as the mini has taken up a lot of our resources lately.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #473 of 2,814
So about one week in with the Mini. I've put lots of hours on it and listened to dozens and dozens of test tracks. At the end of the day the Mini is one of the best headamps that I've owned or auditioned period, including tube amps like the unobtainable Liquid Glass. Speaking of tubes, I wondered if I would miss the ability to flavor my setup with being able to roll tubes from time to time. At this point, I don't mind it at all and I like my decision to go SS. Tubes can be a dangerous rabbit hole for me personally. I could always add a tube based pre-amp like the Saga, but honestly I really enjoy the Mini as is.

The Mini is for me an end game solution and would be for most people. It powers everything from iem's to the Susvara without breaking a sweat. The volume control and tracking just has an effortlessness to it that makes the amp a pleasure to use each time that I flip on the power switch and plug in to listen to music. Of all the purchases that I've made in this hobby the mini is one of my most favorites.

If you are looking for a new amp and the Mini is in your budget, it should be on your shortlist. My hat is off to team headamp. Well done Justin!

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #474 of 2,814
So about one week in with the Mini. I've put lots of hours on it and listened to dozens and dozens of test tracks. At the end of the day the Mini is one of the best headamps that I've owned or auditioned period, including tube amps like the unobtainable Liquid Glass. Speaking of tubes, I wondered if I would miss the ability to flavor my setup with being able to roll tubes from time to time. At this point, I don't mind it at all and I like my decision to go SS. Tubes can be a dangerous rabbit hole for me personally. I could always add a tube based pre-amp like the Saga, but honestly I really enjoy the Mini as is.

The Mini is for me an end game solution and would be for most people. It powers everything from iem's to the Susvara without breaking a sweat. The volume control and tracking just has an effortlessness to it that makes the amp a pleasure to use each time that I flip on the power switch and plug in to listen to music. Of all the purchases that I've made in this hobby the mini is one of my most favorites.

If you are looking for a new amp and the Mini is in your budget, it should be on your shortlist. My hat is off to team headamp. Well done Justin!
You just made me want this amp, even more! Thanks for all the info, as I am now saving up for this amp.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #475 of 2,814
Don't the feet have screws/bolts that can be backed off a bit to level it?

Hi, the rubber feet on the bottom of the gsx mini are screwed into the case, I have managed to find a solution and its not rocking anymore, I took 3 of those rubber black o rings that are used to quieten keyboards and took the foot off and put those on before screwing the foot back in. I have done it on the back left foot so it doesnt show the slight gap between the foot and the case and its looking good.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #476 of 2,814

I might just return my new LP and start saving up for this amp. I always wanted this since CanJam NYC when I heard it powering the Susvara and Empyrean. It sounded great on both and from reading here the past few months the sound has been refined even more since then.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #478 of 2,814
Hi, the rubber feet on the bottom of the gsx mini are screwed into the case, I have managed to find a solution and its not rocking anymore, I took 3 of those rubber black o rings that are used to quieten keyboards and took the foot off and put those on before screwing the foot back in. I have done it on the back left foot so it doesnt show the slight gap between the foot and the case and its looking good.

Nice to see you have found a solution.
I will naturally assume Justin is looking at this and making the necessary corrections before additional units leave his shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back