New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #122 of 2,818
The GSX Mini has not been released yet
If you look at the bottom right corner you will see the SuperSymetry Dynalo - which is the predecessor to the upcoming GSX Mini

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #123 of 2,818
If you look at the bottom right corner you will see the SuperSymetry Dynalo - which is the predecessor to the upcoming GSX Mini
Yes, and is a smaller version that is using Switching power supply, and not LPS like Mini-GSX, similar amp architecture :)

A Mini-GSX with DACT or RK50 will be such a winner for a compact but versatile and excellent Amp. Heck, it should be priced $5,000 so people stop prejudice it for “being cheap is being bad”....kind of.

One of the reason why the Mini-GSX, and or GSX, BHSE are cheap and affordable, that is because sir @kevin gilmore is doing us all a wonderful favor by designing and releasing the design architecture for free. Then the whole DIY community take it and perfect it even better. Most of DIY builder wouldn’t want to tackle the job for a random person out there. So headamp and Justin is also doing an amazing job to bring it to the masses.

I can not even start to imagine what the cost would be if it was developed and designed by some brand name company like Chord, Sony, Astel&Kern or whatever else....yeah $5k for a mini-gsx is what it would really be or so

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #124 of 2,818

I also have the SS Dynalo Mini, which is identical to @Whitigir. Definitely a great sounding amp. It works wonderfully with my beloved HD800. I imagine the GSX-Mini with an even better PSU will sound even better.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #125 of 2,818
When I spoke to Peter at the Headamp booth he said that the new GSX Mini actually incorporates some new things in the power supply design (regulation etc.) which will actually give the GSX Mk 2 a run for its money.

I was EXTREMELY impressed with the amp - and also told them I thought it was being sold too cheap :)

I was not thrilled with the DACT as it is only 24 step (same as BHSE) - I would have liked some more control over things however I was told that with resolving headphones as I am using (Utopia) I would hear a difference between the DACT and the standard potentiometer.

This amp is high on my list however I also have to admit that I am actively looking at the new Luxman. More than double the price however recent online reviews by some esteemed journalists whom I trust seem to indicate that it can be considered end game

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #129 of 2,818
I have Yggy 1 not 2. But GSX-Mini is an easy choice IMO. The balanced Dynalo design is very very versatile. It works well with low, med, and very difficult to drive headphones. My ECP amps are better sounding, but the balanced susy dynalo is more versatile.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #130 of 2,818
I'm not really concerned about being versatile. I just want it to sound the best with my verité and hd800S. I find the 800S a little hot on treble and would hope the gsx mini or rag 2 wouldnt elevate it. I know the gsx mk2 does apparently. I just want to tone down the treble while maintaining soundstage but in a solid state

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #132 of 2,818
I'm not really concerned about being versatile. I just want it to sound the best with my verité and hd800S. I find the 800S a little hot on treble and would hope the gsx mini or rag 2 wouldnt elevate it. I know the gsx mk2 does apparently. I just want to tone down the treble while maintaining soundstage but in a solid state

I would rather EQ down rather than up to avoid clipping. That is assuming there is no amp/headphone combo that is perfect to my preference out-of-box. If you are trying to reach 99% perfection to your preference, I can't see how you can avoid a minimum amount of EQ.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #133 of 2,818
I would rather EQ down rather than up to avoid clipping. That is assuming there is no amp/headphone combo that is perfect to my preference out-of-box. If you are trying to reach 99% perfection to your preference, I can't see how you can avoid a minimum amount of EQ.
I have never eq before nor do I know how. Does it save? Im sure you have to run the software everytime you're on your pc

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #134 of 2,818

Have you actually tried GSX Mk2 and thought that it's treble hot? As one data point, I have been very happy with my Yggy2 - GSX Mk2 with HD800/Utopia for almost a year. I went back and forth between GSX and Rag when I was looking at it. In the end, I didn't need the speaker out etc. Opted for KG design with better components+build. I'd expect similar from mini - transparent/fast/powerful amp.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #135 of 2,818
I have never eq before nor do I know how. Does it save? Im sure you have to run the software everytime you're on your pc

I use JRiver on both Mac and Windows. All media players have EQ option and yes, you can save an unlimited number of EQ presets. I just save one per headphone model and use simple EQ versus parametric. Setting EQ is mostly trial and error but you can google frequency range of musical instruments to give you an idea of the frequency you hear and want to EQ. Personally, if I find I need more than +/- 4 dB with any frequency, I get new headphones. Anything at below +/- 3 dB of EQ change is in the "subtle" or "minor tweak" category so should not clip or distort. I can also tell you from personal experience that subtle EQ changes take a couple days of listening so your ears adjust to get the full effect. I also find the opposite to be true - once my ears get used to the minor EQ adjustments, I know right away when I forget to set EQ or use the wrong EQ, usually within 30 sec or so of listening. When you are contemplating that last couple percent of "perfection" it takes a disproportionate amount of time to make progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back