New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 1, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,521 of 2,819
Tho very importantly, are you saying the GSXM has even stronger percussive power than the 3XP? Like drums sound even stronger and more forward? Low-end percussive over-pressure is what caused me pain on the 3XP. If the GSXM is even stronger on that part, then obviously it wouldn't be the right amp for me.

No, not drums specifically. Not forward in the mix. Sorry, I don’t know how to explain it. Coincidentally 3 out 4 of the Abyss guys use their Diana TCs on the GS-X Mini. The Soloist 3XP definitely has the more forward bass presentation. I enjoy bass so it doesn’t bother me.

May 1, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,522 of 2,819
From your review it really seems like the GSX-Mini is leaner and less coloured than the Soloist... starting to re-think which of these I should get first and maybe it's the GSX-Mini :)

May 1, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #2,523 of 2,819
From your review it really seems like the GSX-Mini is leaner and less coloured than the Soloist... starting to re-think which of these I should get first and maybe it's the GSX-Mini :)

There's likely some synergy to consider as well. Audeze's tend to have good bass out of the gate. Abyss also has good bass and on youtube all of the Abyss guys listened to the GS-X Mini at a show and instantly loved it. All of them use it as their daily driver except the head honcho using an $18,000 version of the WA-33. I had the same feeling with my LCD-X'21 plugging into the GS-X. The Soloist 3XP does deliver a more forward and energetic bass, so in my opinion it's suited well to all of those mid-fi detail monster headphones where you load up the FR against Harman and they're all boosted in the upper-mid/treble region (I'd argue they're actually too distorted in their upper range) and they tend to roll off hard right below around the 100-150Hz 'slam' region, so there's punch with no follow-through, little body. The 3XP I think would balance that out nicely. For headphones that simply tuned in a more balanced way or EQ'd closer to Harman, I think the GS-X mini wins. I'm reluctant to use the term "holographic", but I do think when I use the roon convolutional eq with the AutoEQ/Oratory .wav files for 44.1 & 48Khz combined with the HQ Player upsampling into DSD256 and through the GS-X mini, it's magical and I have no doubt that I'm listening to something above and beyond what I've heard before.

Next year i think it could be ZMF + Decware. Although if I want the Decware by next year, I'd have to buy it now because of the waitlist.

May 1, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #2,524 of 2,819
No, not drums specifically. Not forward in the mix. Sorry, I don’t know how to explain it. Coincidentally 3 out 4 of the Abyss guys use their Diana TCs on the GS-X Mini. The Soloist 3XP definitely has the more forward bass presentation. I enjoy bass so it doesn’t bother me.
Ya I know they use the GS-X mini... I wonder how much of that is that super audiophiles like they just want to use at least a fairly expensive amp vs. how much of it is actually great... Many audiophiles also are biased against chi-fi in general. Looking at some measurements, I can tell that the GSXM is closer to the A90 than the Burson (see links below). Assuming the A90 is the super analytical one that add no color whatsoever, the Burson clearly adds colors throughout the FR range while the GSXM only does it in a few locations. I ll continue to think about if it makes sense to get a GSXM to try to see how I would like it... obviously not a cheap decision so will think more.

GSXM
Burson 3xp
A90

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #2,525 of 2,819
Ya I know they use the GS-X mini... I wonder how much of that is that super audiophiles like they just want to use at least a fairly expensive amp vs. how much of it is actually great... Many audiophiles also are biased against chi-fi in general. Looking at some measurements, I can tell that the GSXM is closer to the A90 than the Burson (see links below). Assuming the A90 is the super analytical one that add no color whatsoever, the Burson clearly adds colors throughout the FR range while the GSXM only does it in a few locations. I ll continue to think about if it makes sense to get a GSXM to try to see how I would like it... obviously not a cheap decision so will think more.

GSXM
Burson 3xp
A90
Buy a used GS-X Mini and save a few dollars. I bought the GS-X MK2 after being somewhat let down by the Burson Soloist 3XP and Conductor 3X Reference. I find the GS-X series a step in performance and tone.

May 2, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #2,526 of 2,819

GSXM
Burson 3xp
A90

Someone already mentioned it, but buying it used is probably best. I got mine that way.

I don’t know enough about chi fi stuff to comment. It seems like the A90 is the king of all chi fi amps though so I’m considering getting one used just to test it. Even audiophiles who say they don’t like chi fi, say the A90 is an exception. I’ll probably buy a used A90 for comparison. The only topping amp I’ve heard so far was in a DX3 Pro+ and it wasn’t good. I’m guessing the A90 is head and shoulders over one of their most entry level amps though. Always keeping an open mind here.

May 2, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #2,527 of 2,819
Buy a used GS-X Mini and save a few dollars. I bought the GS-X MK2 after being somewhat let down by the Burson Soloist 3XP and Conductor 3X Reference. I find the GS-X series a step in performance and tone.
Burson 3X was very disappointing for me too.

May 2, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #2,528 of 2,819
I really want to hear the Vilectric V550 or V590. I think they may have the sound I'm looking for.

May 2, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #2,530 of 2,819
Would you ever sell the chord stuff and get the WA33? I’ve heard it’s pretty amazing.
Even if you get the WA33, you'll still need a DAC. I'm a fan of the Chord sound. From what I gather Chord DAC's make a nice pairing with the WA33.

May 2, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #2,531 of 2,819
Same here while I never had Mini, Soloist 3X Performance has broke volume control (unless you are using a remote) and IMHO is acceptable only in power amp mode. So far I've found only one track that sounds exceptional with Soloist comparing to all other amps I have: Getaway by Pearl Jam. Never had time nor will to do opamps rolling. However I know that GS-X Mini is one of those amps I want I will probably have one day eventually.

May 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #2,532 of 2,819
Since we’re doing comparisons in coloring sound, has anyone here heard the Ferrum OOR with or without HYPSOS? The golden sound measurements look really good on it.

Seems similar to GSX mini where it has slight coloration but otherwise very low noise and excellent performance:

https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/27/ferrum-oor-and-hypsos-measurements/

Seems like a good one to compare to GSX mini where both seem to be going for neutral with a hint of color

May 16, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,534 of 2,819
Wanted to ask how the GS-X mini does with HiFiMan Ananda and/or Arya(?).
Thankee!
Not sure if its gonna help, but I run my HekSE with my gsx-mini and it sounds wonderful. Its actually my preferred amp over the MJ2 (cap modded). The mini adds a hint of warmth to the overall sound and low end is ever so tighter (compared to the MJ2). It also creates a more holographic soundstage, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back