New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #2,508 of 2,819
I got nothing to prove. This is a hobby and I am entitled to my opinion.

For $6k SS you should expect separate boxes for amplification and power. If you are talking about a one-box design, the PS should be enclosed. You shouldn't also be required to flip some DIP switches to change gain. Also the use of risers and plug-in boards look out of place in a $6k amplifier. Finally, from the available pictures the soldering work is not that great. Is this thing built in China or something?
I think all those capacitors in niimbus are acting as a shield and it have very low noise to prove that so separate box while can ''slightly'' improve noise for iem users, but for everybody else its super black already. P.S I think any additional cabling gonna reduce dynamics and for power delivery it would be even worse... Thats why Violectric is talked about its dynamics.
Talking about gain switches, it is good compromise for more precise volume incementals for different headphones where users dont have reed relay volume control option.
Didnt see any faults elsewhere.
Maybe others can chime in?

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #2,509 of 2,819
Modifying the gain changes the operation parameters for that gain stage, it changes how the transistors (or opamps) operate. Usually the gain is adjusted by increasing or decreasing feedback, so audible differences exist in certain scenarios.
I definitely recognized the audible differences between the gain settings. In terms of pairings, I run it with my HD 800 S and LCD-5 on high rather than low gain, as it sounded fuller and punchier.

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,510 of 2,819
I definitely recognized the audible differences between the gain settings. In terms of pairings, I run it with my HD 800 S and LCD-5 on high rather than low gain, as it sounded fuller and punchier.
I also notice fuller sound coming from the high gain vs low gain at same volume.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #2,511 of 2,819
Always on High Gain but even with Susvara never went higher than 11. But then, I never put my head in the PA boxes at Dinosaur Jr concerts. Grey noise, anyway.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #2,512 of 2,819
Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get an answer from Headamp? I've sent them an email last week with few questions but so far I haven't heard from them. That being said, I could ask few of them here as well:
  1. Are there significant sonic differences between standard pot and DACT? I'm not really concerned about volume adjustment granularity on stepped attenuator for perfect volume matching (I can adjust volume on my DAC as well, so I can play around a bit), it's really about audible improvements.
  2. Does anyone have a hands on experience with ordering this amp from overseas? On their website they state that 220-240V configurations are also available but I don't see any way to select it when I'm adding it to cart nor during checkout, so I'd like to make sure I do everything correctly as returns from EU to US would be a nightmare.
Thanks in advance :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #2,513 of 2,819
They are very responsive. I emailed their support team about the first question and got a response back within an hour from their CEO, Justin. I asked him about my plan on switching from the DACT stepped attenuator to the RK27 potentiometer volume control and if there are any noticeable sound differences, and he said:

"Yes, we would be able to change it to RK27. You shouldn't experience a downgrade except that the RK27 can sometimes have some imbalance at low volume levels."

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #2,514 of 2,819
Always on High Gain but even with Susvara never went higher than 11. But then, I never put my head in the PA boxes at Dinosaur Jr concerts. Grey noise, anyway.
Have you gotten a chance to try the Hypsos/Oor? If so, which amp do you prefer out of the 2 for Sus? I'm thinking of upgrading down the line to the Oor if it's worth it.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,515 of 2,819
They are very responsive. I emailed their support team about the first question and got a response back within an hour from their CEO, Justin. I asked him about my plan on switching from the DACT stepped attenuator to the RK27 potentiometer volume control and if there are any noticeable sound differences, and he said:

"Yes, we would be able to change it to RK27. You shouldn't experience a downgrade except that the RK27 can sometimes have some imbalance at low volume levels."
Regarding the responsivity - I emailed them last week on Saturday. Today I sent another email with one additional question. I received a reply to that second email within 2 hours directly from Justin, which is great, the only thing is that I have never gotten a reply to my original email in which I asked more important questions :D That being said I found most of the answers scattered over forums / comment sections - I will go for DACT version and it seems that Headamp configures their amps (110V vs 230V) based on the shipping location but just to be sure I'll send an email after I make the order (I'll be sending a note about making the volume knob satin red while keeping the front panel satin black as ordered).

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #2,516 of 2,819
I will go for DACT version and it seems that Headamp configures their amps (110V vs 230V) based on the shipping location but just to be sure I'll send an email after I make the order (I'll be sending a note about making the volume knob satin red while keeping the front panel satin black as ordered).
Looking forward to hearing your impressions! That satin red on black will look clean 👌

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,517 of 2,819
Have you gotten a chance to try the Hypsos/Oor? If so, which amp do you prefer out of the 2 for Sus? I'm thinking of upgrading down the line to the Oor if it's worth it.
Can’t help you there. Furthermore I don’t like the look of it. But I am sure it’s a very good amp…everybody says so.

Apr 24, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #2,518 of 2,819
So I got the GS-X Mini today. I’ve had the Soloist 3XP for a couple months now. I actually just started in this hobby and that was my first ever amp so I do feel a bit attached to it. I’m still forming an opinion on the Gsx. I love the Soloist BUT I can tell in the back of my head the GS-X mini is better. I’m gonna try to stay open minded till I get more familiar with it. Luckily I got the burson from headphones site so I have a year to return it (with a fee)

May 1, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #2,519 of 2,819
I've now spent a couple of weeks with both the GS-X Mini and the Burson Soloist 3XP. I only started this hobby a couple of months ago in March and began with the LCD-X and the Soloist 3XP. Although I love the Soloist 3XP, I prefer the GS-X Mini.

The most easily noticeable difference is in the noise floor. The GSXM is a very black noise floor. There are 2 gain levels, and in high gain the noise floor of the GSXM is the same as the noise floor on the 3XP under medium gain. I use the 3XP in poweramp mode under medium gain. Poweramp mode itself has little effect on the noise floor of the 3XP. The noise floor of the 3XP in high gain mode is very present and I personally won't use it in high gain because it's distracting. They're both class A amps. The LCD-X can comfortable take 5W @ 20ohm (not that I'd use that much power), the 3XP delivers 8W/4W @ 16/32ohm, while the GS-X delivers 6W/4W @ 25/50ohm. All music is upsampled using roon/qobuz/hq player to DSD256. I don't want to write a wall of words here. I'm not a pro reviewer, however I did volume match the two amps with a meter for comparison.

The 3XP is comparatively warmer, smoother, treble is sweet, and I think the mids offer a euphonic, mellifluous (100pts for using that word in a review) presentation. It's often credited with having good bass, and I agree with this. The bass is forward, detailed, and has just a touch of extension to it. Sub-bass is also fantastic with this amp. Staging is intimate, imaging is good.

The GSXM is comparatively more neutral. Across the spectrum it's more realistic, timbre more natural. Staging is bigger, imaging is very good. The layers are more distinct, transients likes fingers on strings, breaths, points of contact adding some twinkle, some punctuation in the air. It excels with dynamic tracks, but can also perform beautifully with modern recordings. The mids and vocals are comparatively more forward. Treble sparkles. Bass, likewise is more detailed and it's easy to pick apart sub-bass textures, bass drums and synth, bass guitar are all nicely separated. It's not cold and clinical though, there's still warmth there. Something I noticed is that when using the GSXM there is a more kinetic feel within my earcups. I notice that drums, bass drums, the attack of some sounds, not just bass, all had a more visceral feel even a lower volumes. I don't know if there is a name for this or not.

I can see a case for keeping both of them. When I first heard the 3XP I could tell it was special, and then in poweramp mode, I felt a bit of magic. As soon as I plugged into the GSX I felt that magic again and more clearly. I'll enjoy it while I can, because everything is so new to me.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #2,520 of 2,819
The GSXM is comparatively more neutral. Across the spectrum it's more realistic, timbre more natural. Staging is bigger, imaging is very good. The layers are more distinct, transients likes fingers on strings, breaths, points of contact adding some twinkle, some punctuation in the air. It excels with dynamic tracks, but can also perform beautifully with modern recordings. The mids and vocals are comparatively more forward. Treble sparkles. Bass, likewise is more detailed and it's easy to pick apart sub-bass textures, bass drums and synth, bass guitar are all nicely separated. It's not cold and clinical though, there's still warmth there. Something I noticed is that when using the GSXM there is a more kinetic feel within my earcups. I notice that drums, bass drums, the attack of some sounds, not just bass, all had a more visceral feel even a lower volumes. I don't know if there is a name for this or not.
I had the 3XP for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately due to my headphone (Diana TC) and the 3XP's boosted bass, using the amp actually hurt my ears; thus had to return it. I use the Topping A90. The parts I highlighted in blue are exactly how I would describe the A90 as compared to the 3XP. The Diana TC already has strong and super resolving / separating bass so I don't need any more on that part from the amp.

For staging, I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the A90 and the 3XP, so maybe I am just not as sensitive to staging. Reason I am posting this here on the GSXM forum is I wonder how the GSXM would compare to the A90 since it seems like the benefits, as compared to the 3XP, are mostly the same.

Tho very importantly, are you saying the GSXM has even stronger percussive power than the 3XP? Like drums sound even stronger and more forward? Low-end percussive over-pressure is what caused me pain on the 3XP. If the GSXM is even stronger on that part, then obviously it wouldn't be the right amp for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back