New AKG line
Nov 21, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #346 of 422
Wow check out this article in the New York Times.  AKG actually flat out lies, saying that Quincy designed every aspect of the headphones:

Quote:
Chris Dragon, AKG spokesman (Austrian-based AKG is now owned by Harman International), said that Mr. Jones was involved in all aspects of the headphones’ production, including the color, the packaging, the logos and, primarily, their sound. “These headphones have the characteristic AKG voicing, with a Quincy Jones signature added to them,” he said.

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/lemon-and-lime-from-quincy-jones/?src=busln

Maybe once he was done designing every aspect of them, he told AKG to surprise him as to which side the cable would go on... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #349 of 422

Quote:
Does the Q series actually sound identical to the K series? I suppose it wouldn't be too tricky to subtly adjust the sound signature with damping etc... if they bothered to do that .....

Well the post above you did say that Mr Jones is responsible for all aspects including sound. So im expecting it to be different (even if its slight)

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #350 of 422

Quote:
Wow check out this article in the New York Times.  AKG actually flat out lies, saying that Quincy designed every aspect of the headphones:

Quote:
Chris Dragon, AKG spokesman (Austrian-based AKG is now owned by Harman International), said that Mr. Jones was involved in all aspects of the headphones’ production, including the color, the packaging, the logos and, primarily, their sound. “These headphones have the characteristic AKG voicing, with a Quincy Jones signature added to them,” he said.

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/lemon-and-lime-from-quincy-jones/?src=busln

Maybe once he was done designing every aspect of them, he told AKG to surprise him as to which side the cable would go on... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is the kind of stuff I CANNOT stand!!!!

Thumbs down to AKG and Quincy Jones.........

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #352 of 422
Just posted this on their facebook right above their Times article:

David  AKG, why does the article say that Quincy Jones contributed to the sound-design of the Q701 if technically the Q701 is the K701 re-branded? Is it not technically the same headphone as the K702 with a different color scheme and a different letter?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #353 of 422

[size=13.0pt]The devil is in the details for those who can read. It says he was involved in all aspects, not that he designed every aspect of the Q-701's. Those that are posting their childish disdain here are a pretty pathetic lot indeed.  [/size]

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #354 of 422

Being involved in the aspect of PRIMARILY THEIR SOUND............ THESE HEADPHONES HAVE THE CHARACTERISTIC AKG VOICING WITH A QUINCY JONES SIGNATURE ADDED TO THEM...............nowhere does it say "THESE ARE THE K701 with a Quincy Jones endorsement"................it's trickery, and that you think it's pathetic that I, and other members find reason to feel AKG is nervy for such false advertising is disheartening for me.  It doesn't say flat out "Mr Jones sat with our team of engineers and discussed what he wanted to hear in a headphone" but it implies something of that nature, it implies at the very least that these headphones are brand new and their unique sound has never been on the market before. Does it not?

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #355 of 422

[size=14.0pt]Most people understand how celebrity endorsements work, and I think you do too. If anyone actually thinks otherwise take your head phone of choice and listen to [/size][size=14.0pt]Tchaikovsky’s [/size]Symphony No. 6 and repeat the phrase “Their playing my song!” 
beyersmile.png

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #356 of 422

Quote:

[size=14.0pt]Most people understand how celebrity endorsements work, and I think you do too. If anyone actually thinks otherwise take your head phone of choice and listen to [/size][size=14.0pt]Tchaikovsky’s [/size]Symphony No. 6 and repeat the phrase “Their playing my song!” 
beyersmile.png

Hahaha.... I liked the end of that, especially since I listened to the 6th earlier this week.  

But again, most celebrity endorsements I can think of usually involve either one or 2 things.  An entirely NEW product not necessarily developed by the celebrity, but at the same time, not available separately.....Examples in the audio community would be Dr Dre Beats.  Another type of endorsement would be to use Quincy Jones for an ad campaign endorsing the K701 and have him say how much he enjoys using them in the studio, and putting out a signature line K701 using Quincy Jones's name......that's all good, but that's not what they're doing.  They're inferring that these Q701s are a new headphone, that they sound new and were developed by the Music Industry guru using his musical genius mind.  That's flat-out WRONG, and if I weren't in-the-know I may spring the extra hundred bucks to buy something designed by such a prestigious producer when technically I'd be duped of my money because the sound of the Q701 is available for cheaper and has absolutely no sound, science nor musical input from the person they claim has in fact done so.  It's wrong on many levels.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #358 of 422
What are we arguing for here? The demise of a great headphone company that's trying to use a little marketing/hype/endorsement to widen its market?  Or are we arguing for the success of Dr. Dre Beats and Skullcandys?  To most people that will be reached with a Quincy Jones endorsement, they are brand new headphones.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #360 of 422
Well I would say that anybody who bought a pair of Q-701's without listening to a pair of K-702's is probably buying them for the celebrity endorsement more than the minor sonic differences and deserves what they get.  A PT Barnum quote would apply in that scenario. I think tomb said it pretty well. "To most people that will be reached with a Quincy Jones endorsement, they are brand new headphones."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back