Neutral, wide, detailed open headphone ~$600
Jul 1, 2018 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zenrap518

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to eventually get a pair of open backed headphones to compliment my Meze 99 Classics. I'm looking for something more detailed, airy, and wide, with a neutral sound signature. I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT - 1990 Pro and he HiFiMan Sundara, but I could use some help on deciding, or maybe some other options to consider. I'm leaning more towards the HFM Sundara, as I'm worried that the treble on the 1990's might be a bit harsh and sibilant. I will be running them off of my Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2. My budget is around $600, but it is flexible. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 8
HiFiMan Sundara is the one and only answer to this. It outclasses all sub $1,000 headphones in the categories you specified. It's easy to drive and will sound good off of your Schiit stack. I even prefer it to various flagship models.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 8
HiFiMan Sundara is the one and only answer to this. It outclasses all sub $1,000 headphones in the categories you specified. It's easy to drive and will sound good off of your Schiit stack. I even prefer it to various flagship models.
Could you please go into more detail about the overall sound of the Sundara? Thanks :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 8
The Sundara has better bass extension than most similarly priced headphones, a slightly laid back upper mid or lower treble response that pushes the sound presentation back a bit further; with most headphones, it's like you are on the stage with the artists, but with the Sundara it is like you are in the audience. It has rather precise imaging and well defined sense of sound stage, excellent instrument separation. The sound presentation is on the softer side, versus being aggressive and impactful; the result of it not putting bass nor treble in front of the mids, plus it's slightly laid back treble response. I did notice slight unnaturalness in the treble that caused cymbals to sound incorrect. I didn't notice any other treble issues but I only auditioned it twice, didn't own it (the listening environment was fairly quiet though especially the first time).

Ultimately it is a very musical headphone that most people can listen to for hours without fatigue.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 8
I can't speak to the Sundara at all, but I find the DT 1990 to be a really great headphone.
The treble is definitely emphasized, but I've never heard it to be harsh or sibilant. I have a few albums that it's bright, but never overbearing. At least to my ears. In fact, over the 6+ months that I've had the DT 1990, I think it's become more natural sounding. Maybe it's me, maybe it's burn in.
Bass reaches lllooowww and still hits hard and remains incredibly detailed. A little while ago I was listening to some hip hop and it was enough that I was actually feeling disoriented! All the while never feeling bloated or misplaced.
Mids are great. Very detailed and linear, if very, very slightly recessed. To be honest, they only feel recessed if I directly compare them to the HD 650, which are pretty forward with the mids.
Treble. Yeah, it's forward, but to me it sounds very correct. The only time I find it remotely offensive is on a couple electronic albums and some poorly recorded acoustic with inappropriate upper harmonics, and even then it never borders on sibilance. Mostly, coupled with the dynamics, the treble allows these headphones to play aggressively when needed. Distorted guitar or rock vocals are portrayed with realistic grit. Personally, I'd imagine the only way you'd find the treble offensive is if you have a particular sensitivity to it or you really just want a more relaxed presentation.
Dynamics are phenomenal.
Soundstage is intimate, though imaging seems precise.
Detail retrieval is astonishing, though you could also say it's unforgiving. These are professional headphones, after all.
These have a very neutral presentation that doesn't add much to the music (other than treble) to make it more appealing.
Comfort is decent. I can usually listen for a few hours before I feel like I need to take them off.
Build quality is top notch, with all parts being replaceable. I believe that HiFiMan are supposed to be better built than they used to be, but all the horror stories of poor QC would keep me away. I think there were a few people with the DT 1990 that complained of creaking earcups/yokes/whatever, but I don't recall reading about any other build problems. On mine, the left earcup is slightly tight, but that could be easily fixed by loosening a screw.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry for the late reply. Most of my music is Modern Pop/Rap and Electronic, with a bit of Classic Rock. Most aren't very well recorded so i'm leaning towards the Sundara more. Are the DT1990's harsh with bad recordings? How revealing are the sundaras? Thanks everyone.

Jul 10, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Sorry for the late reply. Most of my music is Modern Pop/Rap and Electronic, with a bit of Classic Rock. Most aren't very well recorded so i'm leaning towards the Sundara more. Are the DT1990's harsh with bad recordings? How revealing are the sundaras? Thanks everyone.

Great questions. For the Sundara, you might want to ask in the Sundara discussion thread. It is definitely forgiving with bad recordings, not an issue at all here I think. But as for how revealing it is in general (as in how is its detail retrieval), I can't accurately say since I didn't listen to it enough. I'm quite confident it is more detailed than the HE-560, and if memory serves it seemed more forgiving with bad recordings too.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Hmmm... I don't know that I would call the DT 1990 harsh, per se, but they aren't forgiving. I don't think I've heard a single album on them that I thought, "Wow, I can't listen to this anymore," that I probably wouldn't have thought the same thing on other headphones, too. On the other hand, there have been times that I've thought, "this album is a lot worse than I realized before." I guess it kind of depends on what you're willing to tolerate.

Highly detailed? Yes? Able to point out the flaws in a recording? Yes. Harsh? That's a bit of a loaded question.

...On second thought... I guess I don't listen to my vinyl on the DT 1990-- the clicks, pops, rumbling, etc. are a bit overwhelming and distracting. But then, a lot of my vinyl is used and a bit worse for the wear.

Also, I don't know how you'll been driving your cans, but I find that tubes seem to smooth the DT 1990 a bit. Not completely, but enough that the highs don't seem quite so zingy and the details not quite so glaring. You might also consider the Amiron Home, which are supposed to sound similar but more laid back and forgiving. I've not heard them myself, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back