Neumann NDH 20
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #706 of 830
So guys I had the Neumann NDH 20 for several months and then the audio on the right side started disappearing. Sent it back.
Now I am in doubt. Should I order it again? Or try something else?
My observation:
  • I really liked the sound in general (neutral), although it was not mindblowing at times. Very sensitive to the recording quality.
  • I really liked the bass and the way voices sound.
  • I really liked the isolation.
  • I disliked the comfort. Headband uncomfortable. Earcups were fine for my small ears, even with glasses.
  • I disliked the cable. I think there are solutions for this.
What would alternative headphones be for this headphone? I don't do recording, I only use it for consuming music/movies/games.

The only one that comes to my mind is the Focal Elegia, but it appears to have sound leakage. Isolation is of most importance besides sound quality. Or perhaps Aeon Noire? Don't think there are much other options...?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #707 of 830
Other options: Sony Z7M2, DT1770Pro, DC Audio Aeon RT. The Sony's have baffled ports with screen type covers. Z7's were pretty isolating and my favorite sounding closed back. The Beyers are great and sealed but scream at you occasionally, playing Apex Legends in them was uncomfortable, but listening to ambient was highest level fun.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #710 of 830
Ndh20 arrived, been listening...Z7M2, Elegia, dt1770pro all sound better. I will keep listening for what others are glowing about.
I think what we are glowing about is that they don't sound like the headphones you mentioned.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #711 of 830
Was interested in the Ndh20s, but already have Elegia...can you provide more thoughts on your comparison?
Yeah, but to be fair the Neumanns aren't marketed as an audiophile headphone and a ton of people who know audio very well like them a lot, mostly people describing themselves as engineers. NDH20 much less resolving, much more forward, higher energy - like every other studio monitor. They yell without shrieking which is a win for them over other studio monitors like 1770pro or M50x, if you must have a monitor for casual listening that is, definitely not as "offensive" as often as those can be - rubbery timbre of NDH20 sort of does that trick. Elegia debuted at nearly double the price and were made for music listening consumers, not mixing. It is not a fair comparison. The Elegia are so smooth with such good stereo imaging - no "leaping channels", what with the angled drivers and such (look closer). They definitely have a smooth timbre but not an overkill "deluxe timbre" like a lot of really expensive headphones. The resolution and detail retrieval is far above.
NDH20 are probably a great option to have if you are a professional, though I think the 1770pro > NDH20 for those purposes just because the possible shrillness on the high-end can alert to potential problems. I see no reason for album listeners to consider them or any studio monitor at all vs. Elegia, Z7M2, or Aeon RT closed. The NDH20 are just a different product type. I'm steering clear of studio-marketed headphones from now on given the insanely good audiophile products we have these days. Honestly if considering new cb headphones at this range I'd get the Z7M2. 70mm is a ton of surface area for dynamics and pretty rare.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #712 of 830
Yeah, but to be fair the Neumanns aren't marketed as an audiophile headphone and a ton of people who know audio very well like them a lot, mostly people describing themselves as engineers. NDH20 much less resolving, much more forward, higher energy - like every other studio monitor. They yell without shrieking which is a win for them over other studio monitors like 1770pro or M50x, if you must have a monitor for casual listening that is, definitely not as "offensive" as often as those can be - rubbery timbre of NDH20 sort of does that trick. Elegia debuted at nearly double the price and were made for music listening consumers, not mixing. It is not a fair comparison. The Elegia are so smooth with such good stereo imaging - no "leaping channels", what with the angled drivers and such (look closer). They definitely have a smooth timbre but not an overkill "deluxe timbre" like a lot of really expensive headphones. The resolution and detail retrieval is far above.
NDH20 are probably a great option to have if you are a professional, though I think the 1770pro > NDH20 for those purposes just because the possible shrillness on the high-end can alert to potential problems. I see no reason for album listeners to consider them or any studio monitor at all vs. Elegia, Z7M2, or Aeon RT closed. The NDH20 are just a different product type. I'm steering clear of studio-marketed headphones from now on given the insanely good audiophile products we have these days. Honestly if considering new cb headphones at this range I'd get the Z7M2. 70mm is a ton of surface area for dynamics and pretty rare.
Thanks for taking the time to explain further. I was confused by the comparison of the Elegia and the Neumanns to begin with based on their perceived sound signatures.

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #713 of 830
Thanks for taking the time to explain further. I was confused by the comparison of the Elegia and the Neumanns to begin with based on their perceived sound signatures.
I have both on hand right now, using a THX amp single ended. NDH20 very weighty sound also a bit rounded or rubbery signature. Elegia very resolving more imaging more detail, soundstage. They blow your mind at times and have the old track/new insight thing going for them imo even over my flagship beyer open backs. The NDH20 might be a great component-dependent headphone, as a hobbyist that can be a good thing, so theres a plus there for NDH20. I don't think the Elegia would benefit or be more fun w/ tubes or colored components. So there are actially a few reasons to pick the Neumanns over the Focals, but with the Focal model on its' way out and the current price drop as it is replaced by the Celestee, the choice for me as a listener not into tubes or class-a def going to Elegia. Hope that helps a bit more, there are also other tempting closed backs including Drop now has closed Aeons. They'll isolate as well as the Neumanns. A few ppl on the Elegia forum said the Aeons beat out the Elegia for detail.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #714 of 830
Hi all. Apologies if this has been addressed, I did look but don't have time right now to read every post...

When I got these headphones about 2 years ago the main thing I was concerned about was finding replacement pads, as I didn't find much back in 2019. Well, now my right side is pretty much destroyed (the inner foam has torn through the fabric) and I'm still not able to find any great options for replacement pads.

B&H has them listed but says they are a special order. There are some chinese knockoffs on ebay made out of different materials (not ideal). The Neumann site sends me to Sennheiser's site which is painfully slow, and I didn't see anything Neumann there at all.

So anyone found a good place to get replacements? Thanks!

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #715 of 830
Hi all. Apologies if this has been addressed, I did look but don't have time right now to read every post...

When I got these headphones about 2 years ago the main thing I was concerned about was finding replacement pads, as I didn't find much back in 2019. Well, now my right side is pretty much destroyed (the inner foam has torn through the fabric) and I'm still not able to find any great options for replacement pads.

B&H has them listed but says they are a special order. There are some chinese knockoffs on ebay made out of different materials (not ideal). The Neumann site sends me to Sennheiser's site which is painfully slow, and I didn't see anything Neumann there at all.

So anyone found a good place to get replacements? Thanks!
The NHD20 recycles many parts (including the cups) from the Sennheiser HD630VB. Searching for pads under that model yields more results.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on trying to find the exact OEM pads… It’s been a minute since I’ve owned the NDH20, but I don’t remember the pads being anything particularly special… I imagine pads from a reputable third-party specialty pads manufacturer will equal or exceed them. I’d try the usual suspects… Brainwavz or Dekoni.

If you want to keep the sound signature as-is, opt for a replacement pad that utilizes a microfiber material rather than pleather or sheepskin.

Good luck!

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #716 of 830
Hey!
I work with Neumann NDH 20, and only in these I hear all the mistakes in my and other tracks.
I've tried different ones, and more expensive and popular and it doesn't do the job for critical listening and editing for me.
Maybe I missed something and there are options other closed-back headphones that are superior in this direction?
Also, recently I was looking for something closed and light for precise monitoring and I liked Sennheiser HD 26 PRO the design, but no sound. From the store, the sound was raw and cut off. Can't hear anything for work:frowning2: Maybe they need a burn for a normal result?
In any case, I'm now trying to find something with the same light design Sennheiser HD 26 PRO but with a sound like Neumann NDH 20
Can you tell me where to look?

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #717 of 830
So guys I had the Neumann NDH 20 for several months and then the audio on the right side started disappearing. Sent it back.
Now I am in doubt. Should I order it again? Or try something else?
My observation:
  • I really liked the sound in general (neutral), although it was not mindblowing at times. Very sensitive to the recording quality.
  • I really liked the bass and the way voices sound.
  • I really liked the isolation.
  • I disliked the comfort. Headband uncomfortable. Earcups were fine for my small ears, even with glasses.
  • I disliked the cable. I think there are solutions for this.
What would alternative headphones be for this headphone? I don't do recording, I only use it for consuming music/movies/games.

The only one that comes to my mind is the Focal Elegia, but it appears to have sound leakage. Isolation is of most importance besides sound quality. Or perhaps Aeon Noire? Don't think there are much other options...?
What about the Austrian Audio Hi-X60? Neutral and detailed sound, comfortable even with glasses, closed with a particularly good isolation, straight cables (1.2 m and 3 m).
Just the earcups may be too big for small ears.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #718 of 830
Hey!
I work with Neumann NDH 20, and only in these I hear all the mistakes in my and other tracks.
I've tried different ones, and more expensive and popular and it doesn't do the job for critical listening and editing for me.
Maybe I missed something and there are options other closed-back headphones that are superior in this direction?
Also, recently I was looking for something closed and light for precise monitoring and I liked Sennheiser HD 26 PRO the design, but no sound. From the store, the sound was raw and cut off. Can't hear anything for work:frowning2: Maybe they need a burn for a normal result?
In any case, I'm now trying to find something with the same light design Sennheiser HD 26 PRO but with a sound like Neumann NDH 20
Can you tell me where to look?

I can't speak to the Neumanns (have only heard 630vb) but the ATH-M70x might be suitable (if not always pleasant).

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #719 of 830
Looks like Neumann released an open version of the NDH-20, the NDH-30: https://en-de.neumann.com/ndh-30
For anyone interested in music listening vs production, you're out of luck: it's the same concept. "Reference-class open-back studio headphone for editing, mixing, and mastering"

I bought a pair of broken NDH-20 and have had a hard time locating replacement parts. The part the earpad secures to is broken and parts of it missing. Maybe Sennheiser can help - we'll see.

May 3, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #720 of 830
Looks like Neumann released an open version of the NDH-20, the NDH-30: https://en-de.neumann.com/ndh-30
For anyone interested in music listening vs production, you're out of luck: it's the same concept. "Reference-class open-back studio headphone for editing, mixing, and mastering"

I bought a pair of broken NDH-20 and have had a hard time locating replacement parts. The part the earpad secures to is broken and parts of it missing. Maybe Sennheiser can help - we'll see.
Many thanks for sharing, this is very interesting.
Pricing and availability in Europe: EURO 629 and expected in June / July this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back