Neumann NDH 20
Nov 17, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #736 of 830
I will be able to compare them in several weeks time. I’ve ordered the black ones primarily to use in the show I’m doing at the moment. The bass player has the original ones and let me try them for a few shows. He also kindly let me borrow them over a weekend to try at home, so hopefully I will be able to do so again.

I was very impressed with the isolation and also the super clean resolution - way better than the DT 770’s provided by the theatre, but when I listened to them on my way home from my iPhone I thought that something was missing. I put it down to the iPhone’s inability to drive them properly, but when I tried them on a couple of amps the results were much the same - too shy in the upper mids. I actually much preferred my Shure 1540’s and even 840’s for music listening. Flatter and more balanced overall.

I’m hoping that the black version will be flatter in the mids for music listening, but as a professional tool it’s fine as it is - in fact the dip might make the overall balance better for pure monitoring. Let’s see. I’m looking forward to comparing them!

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #737 of 830
Hi Folks just dropping in here as I've recently had the opportunity to audition the NDH20 and 30s together (actually also auditioned the HDH 30 previousy but on their own)..but alongside some new Sennheiser HD630VB that I've recently acquired but slightly modified.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...irst-impressions.766311/page-47#post-17241558
20s.jpg30s.jpg

Not that I'm trying to duplicate Neumann's effort on resurrecting the the 630 for their own serious endeavour to enter the headphone category.. but mostly out of curiosity.
The stock HD630 obviously has had it's sound signature IMHO geared toward portable use in order to compete with outside environmental noises by having an over abundance of upper mid range and treble and base can be boosted above neutral and therefore by some has been outright dismissed which is really too bad.
The lack of any apparent distortion on both extremes points to a rather robust driver so I thought it would be interesting to address upper spectrum as the base can be taken care of with it's built in variable adjustment.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...irst-impressions.766311/page-48#post-17247059
Overall with a combination of different damping, diffusion and absorption materials I'm actually quite happy with the results and the cost of doing so is negligible.

Felt_grey.JPG

Tonally the sound is now more in line with my HD660S, but clearer and with it's inherent prodigious base extension and body the sound field is rather large, reminiscent of the Audeze LCD-2 but with much better upper mid-range and treble extension.

How did they compare?....closer to the Neumann than if they were stock, the Neumann had an easy listen, good air and sound-stage, obviously the NDH20 being closed back had less openness but still retained a similar signature IMHO to the 30..overall both were fairly neutral. The HD630 even with the mods still appeared clearer (sharper?) but not in a bad way, staging was very good with excellent layering ...base was taught and extended into the lower extremes (rather impressive) and oddly for music listening I actually appreciated having the VB as not all recordings are created equal..and in that respect was an advantage over the Neumanns which need to stay unaltered in order to be used as a reference tool for professional mastering.
Curious point though, coincidentally while I was auditioning the NDH30 another customer came in also looking into the NDH30, as I was using them he grabbed my HD630s and then we started swapping headphones including the NDH20. He wasn't familiar with the Sennheiser but actually preferred them as he found them clearer, more engaging and with better base, also because of the strong physical resemblance he was a bit confused. I then explained the history more or less and the fact that my HD630 were modified...and that they were discontinued but NOS could still be found...he left empty handed and in search of the Sennheiser. :ksc75smile:

....just to add..different pads will have a profound effect on the tonal character...the HD630 pads being non porous probably adds to the difference in base perception and putting the 20 pads on the Senns will probably alter things so much so that the mods will need to be readjusted.

Anyway thought I'd share my observations as I'm sure some are curious as to the differences, also full disclosure..I'm a senior, hearing is still good but greatly diminished above 11Hrz due to age...so YMMV.

Also I will probably at some point pickup one of the Neumann, an all black does look inviting. :)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #738 of 830
Hi Folks just dropping in here as I've recently had the opportunity to audition the NDH20 and 30s together (actually also auditioned the HDH 30 previousy but on their own)..but alongside some new Sennheiser HD630VB that I've recently acquired but slightly modified.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...irst-impressions.766311/page-47#post-17241558
20s.jpg30s.jpg

Not that I'm trying to duplicate Neumann's effort on resurrecting the the 630 for their own serious endeavour to enter the headphone category.. but mostly out of curiosity.
The stock HD630 obviously has had it's sound signature IMHO geared toward portable use in order to compete with outside environmental noises by having an over abundance of upper mid range and treble and base can be boosted above neutral and therefore by some has been outright dismissed which is really too bad.
The lack of any apparent distortion on both extremes points to a rather robust driver so I thought it would be interesting to address upper spectrum as the base can be taken care of with it's built in variable adjustment.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...irst-impressions.766311/page-48#post-17247059
Overall with a combination of different damping, diffusion and absorption materials I'm actually quite happy with the results and the cost of doing so is negligible.

Felt_grey.JPG

Tonally the sound is now more in line with my HD660S, but clearer and with it's inherent prodigious base extension and body the sound field is rather large, reminiscent of the Audeze LCD-2 but with much better upper mid-range and treble extension.

How did they compare?....closer to the Neumann than if they were stock, the Neumann had an easy listen, good air and sound-stage, obviously the NDH20 being closed back had less openness but still retained a similar signature IMHO to the 30..overall both were fairly neutral. The HD630 even with the mods still appeared clearer (sharper?) but not in a bad way, staging was very good with excellent layering ...base was taught and extended into the lower extremes (rather impressive) and oddly for music listening I actually appreciated having the VB as not all recordings are created equal..and in that respect was an advantage over the Neumanns which need to stay unaltered in order to be used as a reference tool for professional mastering.
Curious point though, coincidentally while I was auditioning the NDH30 another customer came in also looking into the NDH30, as I was using them he grabbed my HD630s and then we started swapping headphones including the NDH20. He wasn't familiar with the Sennheiser but actually preferred them as he found them clearer, more engaging and with better base, also because of the strong physical resemblance he was a bit confused. I then explained the history more or less and the fact that my HD630 were modified...and that they were discontinued but NOS could still be found...he left empty handed and in search of the Sennheiser. :ksc75smile:

....just to add..different pads will have a profound effect on the tonal character...the HD630 pads being non porous probably adds to the difference in base perception and putting the 20 pads on the Senns will probably alter things so much so that the mods will need to be readjusted.

Anyway thought I'd share my observations as I'm sure some are curious as to the differences, also full disclosure..I'm a senior, hearing is still good but greatly diminished above 11Hrz due to age...so YMMV.

Also I will probably at some point pickup one of the Neumann, an all black does look inviting. :)
Now I can't listen to closed headphones after open NDH 30 and recently used MM-500
Tried several times even very expensive ones - not interesting. The only ones I can listen to after open are the closed Pro SP-5s and only for a limited time and for recording setup. And for music, the real alternative to open headphones for me is IEM se846 and U12t

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #739 of 830
Now I can't listen to closed headphones after open NDH 30 and recently used MM-500
Tried several times even very expensive ones - not interesting. The only ones I can listen to after open are the closed Pro SP-5s and only for a limited time and for recording setup. And for music, the real alternative to open headphones for me is IEM se846 and U12t
I have the SE846, but given a choice I would use the 1540 any day, if it was possible for the situation.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #741 of 830
I have the SE846, but given a choice I would use the 1540 any day, if it was possible for the situation.
Perhaps, but I got the impression that 846 has more resolution and a wider scene than 1540. But I compared it a long time ago and quickly. Maybe it's not like I think
It also depends a lot on the filters in 846 - I prefer only white ones. With white filters, the frequency response of the 846 is very similar to the NDH 30 to me. Apart from the more present mids in the 846, which is a bit overkill for me. I can't listen to other filters, they are too cloudy for me.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #742 of 830
Perhaps, but I got the impression that 846 has more resolution and a wider scene than 1540. But I compared it a long time ago and quickly. Maybe it's not like I think
It also depends a lot on the filters in 846 - I prefer only white ones. With white filters, the frequency response of the 846 is very similar to the NDH 30 to me. Apart from the more present mids in the 846, which is a bit overkill for me. I can't listen to other filters, they are too cloudy for me.
I agree with you! I use the white filters as well. I think they are the best. And yes what you say about the 846 compared to the 1540 is absolutely correct IMO, but I would personally always prefer a nice comfortable over-ear headphone to an IEM and the 1540s do a really good job considering they’re closed back.

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #743 of 830
You're obviously coming from the professional side as opposed to the consumer : ) ..... and I never thought I'd be getting into closed phones (ever again) until the nasty pandemic kept everyone home...now I've got the AKG K872, Focal Elegia and recently those Sennheiser HD630. lol
Funny though...I'm finding closed phones, even though they can get a bit wonky, are actually growing on me, something about blocking out the outside world....especially with a needy cat. meow! meow! meow!. : )

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #744 of 830
For those that have the NDH20, I'm trying to confirm if the replaceable grill is in addition to a felt like insert shown. Looking at the photo from SBAF it looks like there is both unless the darker orange in the bottom right is just the flip side.
NDH20 SBAF.jpeg

From the photo for the replacement it looks like just a mesh and not as dense at the photo above.
https://www.neumprospares.co.uk/sho...ne-insert-contains-1-foam-per-pack-p387927050

NDH 20 Orange Foam hygiene .png

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #746 of 830
Has anyone heard the Special Black Edition of the NDH20 yet?

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #748 of 830
As it's so quiet on the Neumann treads thought I'd add a little.
Have read that some find the NDH20 pads uncomfortable over time, can't really say one way or another with my short auditions, but just recently received sheepskin pads for my HD630VB. Can say that they are super soft and comfortable, as they are nonporous bass is maintained, also due to the softness they seal rather well and can accommodate my reading glasses so again base is not affected. Anyway thought I'd just put this out there, they probably will change the tonal character slightly, or maybe not or a lot, YMMV. :)
Sheepskin pads.jpeg

The grey felt is my own mod.
sheepskin pads 2.jpeg

ps..pads are relatively inexpensive, readily available off ebay, may take forever to arrive, a bit tricky to install but are real sheepskin except for the lower ring that attaches to the cup.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #749 of 830
Currently, I have both NDH-20 and 30 at home for testing and deciding which one to keep. They give me such a hard time. Wearing the 20s now for 45 minutes. Maybe that will be the turning point. They seem to get uncomfy in the next few minutes. Are there any replacement pads which bring them into the "comfort ballpark" of the 30s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back