Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Nov 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #706 of 737
Sorry..one more..after removing the felt there was indeed an obvious drop in base definition, so it did previously help.
Instead of reinserting the original thickness I was able to split the wool felt to about a 16th to an 8th inch thickness. Haven't quite worked out if a full circle is required, so far two semi-circles vertically placed appear to work, found when placed horizontally interferes with the sealing.
The fact that there is space under the lip of the ear pad helps in facilitating the felt and paper towel, if this indeed proves to be a solution to improving the overall performance of the HD630s I'll later place the mods under the pads.
Felt.jpg

This is rather porous wool felt I had left over from doing speaker mods over 30 years ago, denser wool felt may work also but looser batting when placed in the enclosure helped to improve the base performance on sealed speakers, appears to work here. : )
Felt split.jpg

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #709 of 737

Hard to get the levels just right, but obviously 2 very different headphones, construction/design and sound signatures which makes comparisons futile IMHO as once one gets adjusted to one the other sounds off or better depending on the music. The 660S cannot compete on the low deep base while the 630 lacks any kind of lushness and warmth.
Revisiting....again the base on the HD630 is so much more defined so that the overall stage imaging appears bigger and the drums are clearly molded and behind the the front performers, quite unique and again (going from memory) reminds me of the the LCD-2's wall of sound but the HD630 have much better upper extension and layering of depth.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #710 of 737
Latest embellishments...
Swapped out the round double paper towel for some polyester felt, similarly porous with the same thickness. Acts more as a diffuser than absorbing the higher frequencies and as well as aesthetics probably a better solution for longevity with sweaty ears . :beyersmile:
The vertical wool strips are still in place, tried a complete and 3/4 circle but found base impact was reduced.
So far happy with the results.
Felt grey.JPG

Also an interesting audition with the Neumann NDH-30 and 20s yesterday....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-30.963439/page-19#post-17243296

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #712 of 737
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #713 of 737
I'm actually currently settled on..using the original pads...1 layer of paper towel (Bounty) and 1 layer of thin polyester felt (common in Dollar or Craft stores)..as well as my two wool felt 1/4' wide x 1 1/2" long strips placed vertically which I find improves base performance even more.
Overall by attenuating some of the upper treble allows for listening at slightly higher volumes which gently brings up the midrange and base so less use of the VB keeping a very well balanced but nicely full sound. I'd would say imaging has also improved with better depth and if I may dare say so the sound is now more in line with my HD660S but still slightly clearer but smooth and with much more base extension.
The sound field comes across also much larger… a good example with up front focals but a large supporting percussion ensemble clearly in the backround…very full base guitar…addictive.🙂
https://tidal.com/track/82811592
1118A6F8-3D6F-4DC1-A066-856D34E0B123.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #714 of 737
lol...As I was focusing on the Neumann NDH 30s which just came out this year it just occurred to me the HD630s came out in 2015... totally under my radar...predates my HD800S and the HD660S and AKG K872s.
For a winter hibernation project planning on recabling them. Not sure if they share a common ground for the variable base (probably) but was thinking as the HD630 is single entry I may eventually use one of the 2 HD800S balanced cables I have where the rubber has deteriorated by just cutting them off at the Y joint.. : )

Hd800 630.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #716 of 737
For a winter hibernation project planning on recabling them. Not sure if they share a common ground for the variable base (probably) but was thinking as the HD630 is single entry I may eventually use one of the 2 HD800S balanced cables .........
Going by the replacement cable video..might be a bit finicky, if even possible to do a balanced mod and retain the VB....hhhhmmm.:rolling_eyes:

cable 1.png

Also...unless there is something radically different about the actual driver in the Neumann NDh20...they're just too similar in design to the 630... , excluding the base wheel and pads on the 630...and the and acoustic damping on the Neumann....not to ignore the time between their release and the discontinuation of the Sennheiser..... to be completely different as some have reported ....????

As noted previously I've heard them side by side and for "musical" enjoyment not professional monitoring I much preferred the livelier 630.

NDH 20
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 8.32.25 AM.png

HD630
cable 2.png

Acoustic damping on NDH20
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 8.59.46 AM.png

Anyway...all water under the bridge at this point in time. : )

(unless of course one finds a used pair or takes advantage of the NOS floating about)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #717 of 737
Going by the replacement cable video..might be a bit finicky, if even possible to do a balanced mod and retain the VB....hhhhmmm.:rolling_eyes:

cable 1.png

Also...unless there is something radically different about actual the driver in the Neumann NDh20...they're just too similar in design to the 630... , excluding the base wheel and pads on the 630...and the and acoustic damping on the Neumann....not to ignore the time between their release and the discontinuation of the Sennheiser..... to be completely different as some have reported ....????

As noted previously I've heard them side by side and for "musical" enjoyment not professional monitoring I much preferred the livelier 630.

NDH 20
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 8.32.25 AM.png

HD630
cable 2.png

Acoustic damping on NDH20
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 8.59.46 AM.png

Anyway...all water under the bridge at this point in time. : )

(unless of course one finds a used pair or takes advantage of the NOS floating about)

@Rob80b ... Nice job on shining the light on these obviously overlooked gems. Makes me wonder whether or not I'll be taking the sonic leap and purchasing a pair for myself.

Thanks for all your time and effort!

Leo

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #718 of 737
@Rob80b ... Nice job on shining the light on these obviously overlooked gems. Makes me wonder whether or not I'll be taking the sonic leap and purchasing a pair for myself.

Thanks for all your time and effort!

Leo
At the current discounted pricing of $199 or $160 open box IMHO a fun phone and worth having around...my HD800S and 660S have been ignored as of late...lol
Not to mention they are a closed back and portable....and a bonus, all the the controls and mic works perfectly with my iMac in the kitchen if needed. Sort of a win win for what I consider a rather more than a decent sounding phone.. :beyersmile:
IMG_6086.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #719 of 737
Discovered something the HD630VB do very well at ....low level listening. Where I find most phones need that little nudge to bring up the base and details the 630 are an enjoyable listen at all levels. Being closed back and the variable base obviously helps but they also have a much less homogenized signature than the HD660S or even the HD800S and I can drop the loudness level to about 1/2 and still enjoy the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back