Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Apr 14, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #676 of 737
After a week using them, I have to say these cans are UNCOMFORTABLE. They pull my hair and after a few minutes they bother a lot.
If I want to keep them, I'm going to think of some mod to distribute the weight along the headband.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #677 of 737
The 630 VB escalates like a motherf***. I tried them with my good old pono, and the detail, openness and just plain musicality were stunning. But when I plugged them to my Soloist 3X... Oh, man, these headphones are amazing.

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #678 of 737
The 630 VB escalates like a motherf***. I tried them with my good old pono, and the detail, openness and just plain musicality were stunning. But when I plugged them to my Soloist 3X... Oh, man, these headphones are amazing.
There are some pad swaps earlier in the thread if you are interested. It might give you some ideas.

Bern

May 3, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #680 of 737
If you were to mod it to detachable cable could you simply buy a balanced cable to use (my understanding is the only difference in balance/unbalanced cable is the the terminal plug)
...or could you just cut and replace the 3.5 with a 4 or 2.5mm balanced

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #681 of 737
A bit late to the party but have a new pair HD630VB on the way....oddly it was my current interest in the Neumann NDH 20 & 30 that piqued my curiosity."Neumann’s engineers have supplied themselves with components on Sennheiser’s parts warehouse, when assembling NDH 20. The basic model is the now discontinued Sennheiser HD 630VB"
Obviously Axel Grell has tweaked his previous offspring for Neumann but all the same it will be interesting to hear how the HD630 compare with my current closed back in residence, the AKG K872 and Focal Eligia..... I'm thinking somewhere in the middle.
Elegia_K872.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #682 of 737
A bit late to the party but have a new pair HD630VB on the way....oddly it was my current interest in the Neumann NDH 20 & 30 that piqued my curiosity."Neumann’s engineers have supplied themselves with components on Sennheiser’s parts warehouse, when assembling NDH 20. The basic model is the now discontinued Sennheiser HD 630VB"
Obviously Axel Grell has tweaked his previous offspring for Neumann but all the same it will be interesting to hear how the HD630 compare with my current closed back in residence, the AKG K872 and Focal Eligia..... I'm thinking somewhere in the middle.
Elegia_K872.jpg
Post your thoughts once you've had some time with them. They didn't have enough low end for me and they didn't handle EQ well at all in that area.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #683 of 737
Post your thoughts once you've had some time with them. They didn't have enough low end for me and they didn't handle EQ well at all in that area.
Will do...sorry no means for EQ in my setup as I just use CXN streamer, CXC CD transport and Bryston BHA-1 head-amp...and if there is a tad more base than the HD660S and HD800S,which I expect they will, they should be fine for me.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #684 of 737
Ok...HD630VB are in da house

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

....not too sure what I was expecting and will obviously will need to listen more.. running off the Bryston BHA-1 and Cambridge CXN II, so far a little ho-hum....they don't really hold a candle to the AKG K872, also a closed back, which have so much more information, sounding harmonically richer, more spacious with layering and depth. Also the HD630VB with their crisper and less involving sound are completely different from the HD800s, really no family resemblance and probably an even farther departure from the HD660S which I'll compare later this evening.

630.JPG

A better pairing was the FiiO X3 and probably more in line with their intended purpose and where the Variable Base may serve a better purpose ....
FiiO X3.JPG

Now these are a new, an unopened box and it is quite possible the drivers may need to loosen up a tad after sitting around for a few years so... I'll leave them playing unattended at higher volumes for the rest of the day.....

Keep in mind I recently had unfavourable impressions on the Focal Elegia, but warmed up to them after a few days or so ....but curiosity may have killed the cat on these : ( .........

Something unrelated to the sound... the rubber for the function round, volume up/down, pause etc is very gummy so that my finger actually sticks to it..anyone with experience or has the rubber started to disintegrate somewhat like my HD800S cables???? :triportsad:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #685 of 737
Ok...HD630VB are in da house

....not too sure what I was expecting and will obviously will need to listen more.. running off the Bryston BHA-1 and Cambridge CXN II, so far a little ho-hum....they don't really hold a candle to the AKG K872, also a closed back, which have so much more information, sounding harmonically richer, more spacious with layering and depth. Also the HD630VB with their crisper and less involving sound are completely different from the HD800s, really no family resemblance and probably an even farther departure from the HD660S which I'll compare later this evening.

A better pairing was the FiiO X3 and probably more in line with their intended purpose and where the Variable Base may serve a better purpose ....

Now these are a new an unopened box and it is quite possible the drivers may need to loosen up a tad after sitting around a few years so I'll leave them playing unattended at higher volumes for the rest of the day.....

Keep in mind I recently had unfavourable impressions on the Focal Elegia, but warmed up to them after a few days or so ....but curiosity may have killed the cat on these : ( .........

Something unrelated to the sound... the rubber for the function round, volume up/down, pause etc is very gummy so that my finger actually sticks to it..anyone with experience or has the rubber started to disintegrate somewhat like my HD800S cables???? :triportsad:

IDK if there were production changes at any point - the set (secondhand) I have did not come with a case but rather a cloth bag- on those it's a 'soft touch'/rubbery type of material, maybe very slightly sticky/tacky feeling though I would consider it more firm than gummy, IIRC an in-store demo unit I tried ages ago was similar.

Sonically I think there's a nice textural/micro-detail quality to them which is their strong suit, I haven't heard the AKG's but otherwise your impressions seem relatively in line with mine- I think somewhat in the spirit of what I remember HD25- tonally kind of bright (maybe less balanced? but it's been many years) and presentationally 'in your face', rather than 'harmonically rich and layered'.

I find there is a bit of a sweet spot with the bass dial where it imparts just a touch of warmth- too low and too high it seems like the sound gets a bit more coarse. It is fun to fidget with though.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #686 of 737
IDK if there were production changes at any point - the set (secondhand) I have did not come with a case but rather a cloth bag- on those it's a 'soft touch'/rubbery type of material, maybe very slightly sticky/tacky feeling though I would consider it more firm than gummy, IIRC an in-store demo unit I tried ages ago was similar.

Ok thanks... I could be wrong but I believe they always came with a hard case.

I find there is a bit of a sweet spot with the bass dial where it imparts just a touch of warmth- too low and too high it seems like the sound gets a bit more coarse. It is fun to fidget with though.
I may need to recant my previous observations..have the HD630VB in the shop with me playing Tidal Hi-Fi off an IMAC connected to an older NAD receiver and within a few hours the sound has opened up nicely, a little bit fuller, less sterile if I may say so but still very crisp and clear.
Just playing Micky Harts "Planet Drum" and what is interesting is that the deep base present on the album, which comes across rather boldly does not appear to be affected by the dial, only the upper base.. hhhhmmm? Well they do so base near the 50Hrz. : )
Nad with 630VB.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #687 of 737
Ok thanks...believe they always came with a hard case.

Some stores' product listings mention a 'carry bag' or 'storage bag' rather than a case (but also don't have pictures so :shrug: ) The box has like 5 layers of barcode stickers, so who knows where it came from and where it's been lol.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #689 of 737
Interesting..as mentioned above, listening to Planet Drum there is almost too much deep low end.... even with the dial at minimum..????

Maybe the power of suggestion...
From the intial press release back in 2015.
" Specifically developed for the HD 630VB, Sennheiser’s pro-prietary high-performance trans-ducer is the “heart” of this model. It delivers the power for an intense bass experience which can be customized via a rotary bass dial according to the listening environment, the music being played and the user’s individual preferences."

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #690 of 737
Was this an attempt at a Beats-killer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back