Neumann ND20

Chord Electronics Mojo2

iPhone 13 ProMax

Lightning MFi <> USB-C cable.

Question.

How does it sound ?

Mojo 2 + ND20

EQ settings : warm and musical ?

What is your experience, with the Mojo2 and Neumann ND20 combo ?

Dog Bless U.

:k701smile:

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #722 of 830
Nice review and I have very similar feelings about these as you, except my ears are only at the consumer end, rather than production. I too wear glasses - no problems there either. If I had any "complaints", it would be about the cables supplied. A balanced cable option might be a good idea (as 4 pin balanced connections seem to be very popular these days) and something a bit less rigid, maybe?
I've been searching all over the internet to find someone that has done this but keep coming up empty handed. I finally took a stab at it. IMO these are criminally underrated cans, but I HATE the cable nightmares they come with, and they really deserve to be able to run from a proper balanced 4 pin desktop amp. It has always bugged me that studio cans don't have the option of consuming independent signals (thank goodness the DT1770 Pro's come with a mini XLR from the factory!)

So, here it is - the Neumann NDH-20 Balanced studio monitor headphone , with Mini 4pin XLR and 4.4mm PentaConn . They of course can also be driven SE via the correct cable. Please forgive if this is not the right place to post. As you can see I've been a lurker for... a bit.

This job was a *hell* of a trick. I had to take a bunch of measurements, then mock the cup and the jack in 3d software, then design 2 custom angled and curved bushings to ensure the jack was perfectly aligned. Then I had to disassemble the cups to see if I could shoehorn them in. Is it getting hot in here? :sweat_smile:

There is about 1mm of clearance in jack placement within the cup itself, and about .5mm in clearance for the jack's panel lip. The tolerances on this job make positioning this jack incredibly difficult. 3 different jigs were designed and tested to properly place and cut the hole to spec before finding the courage to start grinding.

Additionally there are a few other challenges,. Besides removing some internal jack-boss structure of the cup, the right side also needs to be ported in the same manner as the left (right side is ported via its minijack port in stock config, left side has a ~2mm^2 port). The internal minijack PCB gets pulled in favor of direct-solder to the 4 pin.. A spot of damping needs to be added back to one spot where a small block of boss structure is removed. It took a lot of time to remove the material without causing a lot of damage.

There is also some boss structure that is part of the driver panel, which also needs to be removed and then sealed (the 9 foot long minijack reinforcement).

I've done a few of these (I own multiple sets of balanced modded NDH-20) and wanted to share here since I cannot find a single other person who has done this mod.

I do plan on modding a set of 30's once I have a set in hand, but I need to make room for those :) I'd be happy to post that mod job here if people are interested. I know they use the same material in those cables, which I think is some sort of spring steel.

Cheers!

1662214972972.png

Attachments

• 1662214983797.png
    1662214983797.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1662215016187.png
    1662215016187.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1662215054189.png
    1662215054189.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1662217291338.png
    1662217291338.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 0
Oct 9, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #723 of 830
I've been searching all over the internet to find someone that has done this but keep coming up empty handed. I finally took a stab at it. IMO these are criminally underrated cans, but I HATE the cable nightmares they come with, and they really deserve to be able to run from a proper balanced 4 pin desktop amp. It has always bugged me that studio cans don't have the option of consuming independent signals (thank goodness the DT1770 Pro's come with a mini XLR from the factory!)

So, here it is - the Neumann NDH-20 Balanced studio monitor headphone , with Mini 4pin XLR and 4.4mm PentaConn . They of course can also be driven SE via the correct cable. Please forgive if this is not the right place to post. As you can see I've been a lurker for... a bit.

This job was a *hell* of a trick. I had to take a bunch of measurements, then mock the cup and the jack in 3d software, then design 2 custom angled and curved bushings to ensure the jack was perfectly aligned. Then I had to disassemble the cups to see if I could shoehorn them in. Is it getting hot in here? :sweat_smile:

There is about 1mm of clearance in jack placement within the cup itself, and about .5mm in clearance for the jack's panel lip. The tolerances on this job make positioning this jack incredibly difficult. 3 different jigs were designed and tested to properly place and cut the hole to spec before finding the courage to start grinding.

Additionally there are a few other challenges,. Besides removing some internal jack-boss structure of the cup, the right side also needs to be ported in the same manner as the left (right side is ported via its minijack port in stock config, left side has a ~2mm^2 port). The internal minijack PCB gets pulled in favor of direct-solder to the 4 pin.. A spot of damping needs to be added back to one spot where a small block of boss structure is removed. It took a lot of time to remove the material without causing a lot of damage.

There is also some boss structure that is part of the driver panel, which also needs to be removed and then sealed (the 9 foot long minijack reinforcement).

I've done a few of these (I own multiple sets of balanced modded NDH-20) and wanted to share here since I cannot find a single other person who has done this mod.

I do plan on modding a set of 30's once I have a set in hand, but I need to make room for those :) I'd be happy to post that mod job here if people are interested. I know they use the same material in those cables, which I think is some sort of spring steel.

Cheers!

Modding the ND30, holy sheeet, can only imagine, think the ND30s are really under the radar headphones, they are just fantastic, punches right up to the HD800s

Please post more photos of this beast !

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #724 of 830
Modding the ND30, holy sheeet, can only imagine, think the ND30s are really under the radar headphones, they are just fantastic, punches right up to the HD800s

Please post more photos of this beast !
I just got my 30's a few weeks ago - am planning on doing this conversion. Will be happy to post pics. I bought my 30's new and they're worth every last penny!

Oct 10, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #725 of 830
I just got my 30's a few weeks ago - am planning on doing this conversion. Will be happy to post pics. I bought my 30's new and they're worth every last penny!
Yes, I am one of the few who agree that the Neumann NDH 30 are phenomenal in terms of accuracy and sound quality and kill all open headphones up to $1500 and maybe more.
I wonder if someone has already tried the Neumann NDH 20 Black Edition? It has the same cable as in the NDH 30 and I really hope that they were released as an update and the sound was tuned.

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #726 of 830

Dude, after the conversion, on the ND30, ist gonna be 2000 USD Headphone, ND20 punches well well above it weight, with the open back version, holy sheet.

I'll be hanging on here to see the build process, really cool project m8 10/10

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #727 of 830
Yes, I am one of the few who agree that the Neumann NDH 30 are phenomenal in terms of accuracy and sound quality and kill all open headphones up to $1500 and maybe more.
I wonder if someone has already tried the Neumann NDH 20 Black Edition? It has the same cable as in the NDH 30 and I really hope that they were released as an update and the sound was tuned.

Indeed, ND20s and ND30s will become legends over time, as they are tools, to be used, people will mod them and should :L3000:

Noticed the ND30 is 120 ohms vs ND20s 150 ohms, wonder if its the same 2.5mm SE cable on the 30s also ?

NDH 20 Black Edition

product_detail_x2_desktop_NDH-20-Black-Edition_Neumann-Headphone_M.png

Premium quality closed-back studio headphone for monitoring, editing, and mixing

• Linear, transparent sound with high resolution
  • Excellent isolation allows working in noisy environments
  • High long-term comfort, easy transportation
  • Special edition in black with internally balanced cable

Only thing negative, I can say:

Due to all metal, the gimbals will bob a bit, audible sound due to movement, when you are walking outside with them, if you step hard in your stride, that is.

on the ND20 version, 2.5mm jack, its plastic and lowers the overall quality of the unit as a whole, seems @LoganPhyve fixed that already.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #728 of 830
The cable and jack inside the 20 and 30 are different pinouts, the cables are not interchangeable. I saw zeos chop his cable around the same time I got my set, so I know the cable itself can be converted/swapped to bal.

The 30 is internally balanced, so you can use a custom TRRS cable to run it balanced, but personally I HATE proprietary cables and will still convert this over to mini4. The cables on the 20 are garbage. The stock cable for the 30 is actually quite nice but it still doesn't meet my compat standards AND it's single ended!?!?!?! missed op, Neumann!!

I'm very tempted to get another set of 20's, one black and one white, swap the cups, THEN do the balanced conversion on a pair of twin oreo sets... but then I'd have 3 hahahaha. I'm good with the one pair for now. The 30's are next on the chopping block.

Agreed the 20s and 30s are highly underrated. They're some of my favorite cans. The moment I tried both sets they were instant keepers. I actually bought a second pair of 20's to use while the first set were on the operating table, that's how much I like them :) Sold those to a good friend who is loving them to pieces.

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #729 of 830
The cable and jack inside the 20 and 30 are different pinouts, the cables are not interchangeable. I saw zeos chop his cable around the same time I got my set, so I know the cable itself can be converted/swapped to bal.

The 30 is internally balanced, so you can use a custom TRRS cable to run it balanced, but personally I HATE proprietary cables and will still convert this over to mini4. The cables on the 20 are garbage. The stock cable for the 30 is actually quite nice but it still doesn't meet my compat standards AND it's single ended!?!?!?! missed op, Neumann!!

I'm very tempted to get another set of 20's, one black and one white, swap the cups, THEN do the balanced conversion on a pair of twin oreo sets... but then I'd have 3 hahahaha. I'm good with the one pair for now. The 30's are next on the chopping block.

Agreed the 20s and 30s are highly underrated. They're some of my favorite cans. The moment I tried both sets they were instant keepers. I actually bought a second pair of 20's to use while the first set were on the operating table, that's how much I like them :) Sold those to a good friend who is loving them to pieces.
The new black version of the NDH 20 has the same cable as the NDH 30 - Symmetrical Cable with Fabric Cover (symmetrical cable is internally balanced)
This means that the socket is the same as on the NDH 30

When I chose closed headphones for myself - I listened to many for a long time, including HD 820, K872, TH-900 mk2 and others at this level - and all of them, to my ears, gave an unbalanced and inaccurate sound on the reference tracks. I chose NDH 20 as a temporary cost effective alternative. And after almost 50+ hours of burning, they became almost sane. But still there are downsides. I'm betting now on the new NDH 20 Black, perhaps, I hope, retuned and finished :)
I didn't see the point in spending three times as much on a K872, TH-900 mk2 or something like that - because they didn't sound better or more accurate than the first version of the NDH 20. Quite the opposite.. :)
And of course, to avoid misunderstandings - all my ratings come from a reference sound base and not from personal preferences.

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #730 of 830

Dude, you are ZMF 2.0

Make one and just sell it online here, the black edition, with a balanced custom cable, hell yeah its gonna sell like powdered sugar, even if you just break even, the satisfaction will be lifetime.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #731 of 830
The new black version of the NDH 20 has the same cable as the NDH 30 - Symmetrical Cable with Fabric Cover (symmetrical cable is internally balanced)
This means that the socket is the same as on the NDH 30

When I chose closed headphones for myself - I listened to many for a long time, including HD 820, K872, TH-900 mk2 and others at this level - and all of them, to my ears, gave an unbalanced and inaccurate sound on the reference tracks. I chose NDH 20 as a temporary cost effective alternative. And after almost 50+ hours of burning, they became almost sane. But still there are downsides. I'm betting now on the new NDH 20 Black, perhaps, I hope, retuned and finished :)
I didn't see the point in spending three times as much on a K872, TH-900 mk2 or something like that - because they didn't sound better or more accurate than the first version of the NDH 20. Quite the opposite.. :)
And of course, to avoid misunderstandings - all my ratings come from a reference sound base and not from personal preferences.

HD820 and TH-900 mk2 are not closed back, they are just hybrid, with passive isolation of less than -20db, thats about, one great hamster fart @ 20 db.

ND20 has a SOLID -34db, and it really shows, have been outside with them many times and at work its a machine shop, so ear muffs are mandatory.

Wind does not blow into them, from any angle, have been walking upwind, down wind, wind gusts, neven had any howling into the cans, try that on semi closed backs and or any NC closed backs, its a joke.

Have banged the ND20 into huge metal machines, its got scratches and bumps but its built like a Tank, just does not give a crap.

Now seeing the black version, its look so much better, the shiny metal one, does make you stand out to much in the workplace.

I'd recommend the ND20 or ND30 to any new person wanting to get into quality music, at home, watching a movie, in a -34db bubble is very special if you have a loud spouse, kids, what have you.

Imagine if they'd bump the DD up to 50mm ND50 and ND50 closed back :o2smile:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #732 of 830
Dude, you are ZMF 2.0

Make one and just sell it online here, the black edition, with a balanced custom cable, hell yeah its gonna sell like powdered sugar, even if you just break even, the satisfaction will be lifetime.
I am flattered!!! Their work is gorgeous.

I'm a manufacturer in the canna vape space but am just a "user" here... look at my post history hahaha. I'm not sure I'm allowed to flip but would be happy to if there's a demand for it. I'm rather particular about the quality of my work and have really, really high standards.

I have another set under the blade right now that's probably worth checking out when done. I'm doing a driver-out reconstruction/rebirth of a busted set of sundaras. The Nirmana project. I'll post that when I get some time. LOT of work left on that.

If that goes well I may start a line of custom boutique planars. IDK. I already have the business in place so adding products in a new market space wouldn't be too bad. I focus on the science of cannabis extraction, primarily :)

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #733 of 830
I am flattered!!! Their work is gorgeous.

I'm a manufacturer in the canna vape space but am just a "user" here... look at my post history hahaha. I'm not sure I'm allowed to flip but would be happy to if there's a demand for it. I'm rather particular about the quality of my work and have really, really high standards.

I have another set under the blade right now that's probably worth checking out when done. I'm doing a driver-out reconstruction/rebirth of a busted set of sundaras. The Nirmana project. I'll post that when I get some time. LOT of work left on that.

If that goes well I may start a line of custom boutique planars. IDK. I already have the business in place so adding products in a new market space wouldn't be too bad. I focus on the science of cannabis extraction, primarily :)

Dude, your my ND20/30 Hero ;]

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #734 of 830
Does anyone here know if the black edition NDH 20 sounds different to the original? It has the balanced cable from the NDH 30 and is also therefore obviously balanced internally which could make a channel separation difference, but is it also tuned slightly differently? I would love it if it had slightly less of the dip in the upper mids.....

It also appears to have slightly thicker padding in the headband than the original. The NDH 30 also appears to have this slightly thicker padding.

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #735 of 830
Does anyone here know if the black edition NDH 20 sounds different to the original? It has the balanced cable from the NDH 30 and is also therefore obviously balanced internally which could make a channel separation difference, but is it also tuned slightly differently? I would love it if it had slightly less of the dip in the upper mids.....

It also appears to have slightly thicker padding in the headband than the original. The NDH 30 also appears to have this slightly thicker padding.
I was also interested in this for the same reasons that you wrote. But so far no one has. The only option to check is to buy - thomann is now discounted:
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_ndh_20_black_edition.htm?listposition=1
These questions can also be clarified directly with Neumann
I would do it, but I'm lazy right now. Since it is difficult for me to listen closed headphones after open:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back