Neumann NDH 20
Mar 9, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #691 of 830
nd20.png

When I owned it I heard it like this. The 200-400hz region is too forward. Very thick and low mid bloated sounding. In general I dont thick the resolution lives up to the price point. Aeon RT for example is the same price, more spacious, has more treble detail and bass texture.

Bu then again I like slightly cool and bright headphones, which this headphone definitely isnt.

But I dont see it as any good for audio pro work, the tubby low mid is nowhere near realistic or neutral.

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #692 of 830
I’ve listened to this headphone on a number of occasions and rather feel it sounds like a closed planar magnetic. It’s the same type of laidback uppermids and also the reason why the Neumann is horrible for studio use. If you’re doing vocals you are not going to hear them being sibilant.
Yet for home use - just kicking back and chilling some music, I find it rather nice to listen to. I do however feel that classical fans most often go for something akin to neutral mids, my uncle certainly does, so the uppermids scoop will probably be problematic for some.
Also wouldn’t recommend this headphone for folks who wear glasses.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #693 of 830
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD560s. How would the NDH-20's sound and comfort compare to the HD560s?

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #694 of 830
I am also interested in opinions about the suitability of these for classical music, particularly piano and chamber music, not so much big orchestral works.

They are very good with all genres`.

The thing is, however, they are a CLOSED SET of headphones, and you have to want this, to enjoy them..

What does this mean?
It means that, if your preferred listening experience is Open Headphones, then no set of Closed Headphones is going to totally satisfy you, as closed headphones have a more intimate soundstage, and always sound completely different then open headphones.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #695 of 830
I am also interested in opinions about the suitability of these for classical music, particularly piano and chamber music, not so much big orchestral works.
They have a lovely midrange so they would do well with this sort of music. They bring out that nice 'soul' of the lower midrange where the magic lies in most music.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #696 of 830
They have a lovely midrange so they would do well with this sort of music. They bring out that nice 'soul' of the lower midrange where the magic lies in most music.
They are very good with all genres`.

The thing is, however, they are a CLOSED SET of headphones, and you have to want this, to enjoy them..

What does this mean?
It means that, if your preferred listening experience is Open Headphones, then no set of Closed Headphones is going to totally satisfy you, as closed headphones have a more intimate soundstage, and always sound completely different then open headphones.
Thanks for your replies. I enjoy both open and closed headphones for what they can bring to the music, I own both the original Sennheiser HD800s and the closed Ultrasone Signature Pros which are very good with the tonality of string instruments, particularly cellos, whereas the HD800s strength is with big orchestral pieces. I am particularly looking for a can that excels with piano and has lots of body and dynamics without harshness in the treble.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #698 of 830
The NDH-20's have a more refined and natural sound. More accurate.
Less comfortable then the HD560's.
Thanks. Better sound is what I am looking for. I think I am going to choose these over the Ananda's for a few reasons
1. I think they are better built. Hifiman QC seems to be iffy. My Senns are very well built
2. More wallet friendly
3. More isolation. This will be important when I want to listen and the family members are watching tv or listening to their music.

As far as comfort the only way to find out is trying them. Reviews on comfort seem to be mixed. If I can wear them for a couple of hours comfortably they will be fine.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #699 of 830
Thanks. Better sound is what I am looking for. I think I am going to choose these over the Ananda's for a few reasons
1. I think they are better built. Hifiman QC seems to be iffy. My Senns are very well built
2. More wallet friendly
3. More isolation. This will be important when I want to listen and the family members are watching tv or listening to their music.

As far as comfort the only way to find out is trying them. Reviews on comfort seem to be mixed. If I can wear them for a couple of hours comfortably they will be fine.

The Neumanns have remarkable isolation.
Build Q is excellent. Some reviewers (Z Reviews) state they are plastic, but they are in fact, excellent grade Aluminum.
Neumann does not build plastic junk.

The only fault they have is janky cable or spiral cable, and the pads are round.

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #700 of 830
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #701 of 830
Tested these with some classical music yesterday, they do just fine.
(Violectric V281, single ended and Chord Qutest)
A few piano concertos and a sublime concert called Garanca Amsterdam. The sound of an angel!

With the headphones being full sounding and having plenty of bass, they are ideal for classical music, as I hear it...

Personally I find a decent amount of bass is needed to enjoy classical music.
It's more important than people make it out to be, especially when saying how suitable the likes of the HD 800S are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back