Neumann NDH 20
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #676 of 830
Ah, the screws in the headphone have a high chance of being wrecked, probably a way to see if someone took it apart. Thanks for this warning.

Btw, I love the sound sof this headphone for just music listening, funny that this topic is so dead?
Same with some of the Torx screws that attach the "speakers" to the headband in a Beyerdynamic T1 - removing and reapplying the T5 or T6 Torx screws leaves obvious marks on the screws - I replaced the screws with new ones that came with a Beyerdynamic kit - good as new. I would suggest buting some new screws at an appropriate place.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #677 of 830
Ah, the screws in the headphone have a high chance of being wrecked, probably a way to see if someone took it apart. Thanks for this warning.

Btw, I love the sound sof this headphone for just music listening, funny that this topic is so dead?

Various hobbies and interests have me working with Torx fasteners on a regular basis.
If you're careful and use the right size fastener, nothing should be damaged.
Lightly test the fit of the screw before inserting it fully and starting the actual work.

The tip must be made of hardened tool steel.
Look also for a very "grippy" grip.

The top makers are in Switzerland, Germany, and the USA.
I recommend strongly that you stay away from cheap, garishly presented tools
which have been flooding the country

PB Swiss
Wera
Witte
Felo
Wiha - but note that Wiha shifted much of their production out of Germany a few years ago.
Today many of their tools are produced in Viet Nam. It's no reflection on anyone or anything
other than years of tool manufacturing experience and the quality of tooling necessary to turn out top grade products.
They are still above average quality.
Bondhus
Klein

I think the only tricky part of getting hold of the Torx driver you want
is finding the very small sizes (e.g. T4).

Places I recommend to shop:

KCToolco.com - They are superb sellers; dealing only in the best products and at fair prices.
mscdirect.com
Home Depot
ifixit.com - new retailer offering some nice stuff made in Germany
and amazon, of course. Just take care not to get sold some lower grade stuff.

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #678 of 830
Various hobbies and interests have me working with Torx fasteners on a regular basis.
If you're careful and use the right size fastener, nothing should be damaged.
Lightly test the fit of the screw before inserting it fully and starting the actual work.

The tip must be made of hardened tool steel.
Look also for a very "grippy" grip.

The top makers are in Switzerland, Germany, and the USA.
I recommend strongly that you stay away from cheap, garishly presented tools
which have been flooding the country

PB Swiss
Wera
Witte
Felo
Wiha - but note that Wiha shifted much of their production out of Germany a few years ago.
Today many of their tools are produced in Viet Nam. It's no reflection on anyone or anything
other than years of tool manufacturing experience and the quality of tooling necessary to turn out top grade products.
They are still above average quality.
Bondhus
Klein

I think the only tricky part of getting hold of the Torx driver you want
is finding the very small sizes (e.g. T4).

Places I recommend to shop:

KCToolco.com - They are superb sellers; dealing only in the best products and at fair prices.
mscdirect.com
Home Depot
ifixit.com - new retailer offering some nice stuff made in Germany
and amazon, of course. Just take care not to get sold some lower grade stuff.

Before you wrote this, I ordered these:
Wiha 384 Bithouder met handgreep, magnetisch, 0,64 mm (1/4 inch), lengte 225 mm: Amazon.de: Baumarkt
Wiha Bit standaard 25 mm TORX® 1/4" (25097) T4: Amazon.de: Baumarkt

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #679 of 830

Those should be fine for your intended use as you're not applying heavy torque.
Next, you need a handle.

Always lightly test the fit of the driver into the fastener,
and the fit of the fastener into the insertion point.

Torx fasteners provide great "feedback" in this regard -
when the fit is right, it "lets you know".

Cheers,

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #682 of 830
Got these today.

Pretty interesting dark/black background.

But I am not convinced it is achieved by the quality of the driver or just some tuning that seems to have the bass and low mids a hair too much. There is a hint of droning to some lower pitch male vocals.

I was worried the treble would be too recessed for me as a treble head, but I actually find it mostly on point. Mabye a touch of more air would be nice.

The biggest issue for me is that it doesnt really want to reproduce a large stage. It actually CAN DO it sometimes, when the recording is really spacious or binaural, but it tends to be very focused in the center. Espeically just for casual youtube "people talking podcast style stuff" it is very centric, it doesnt like to capture room ambience.

So on occasion it appears to be muffled, but really isnt, it is quite good at spurting out some treble fidelity when called for.

All in all there is a little too much warm-body for me. If you switch back to studio classics like DT770 the 770 sounds more open and less clogged up upper bass. (only 250ohm, 80ohm is trash) But then if you listen to NDH20 longer it sort of pans out.

Wanted to ask; which cable fits which is shorter +inline mic?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #684 of 830
Just want to share a result with you guys about replacement pads of NDH-20.

So around half a year ago I was struggling to find replacement pads as the original pads were starting to have some issues. Then around 2 months ago I decided to pull the trigger with this HD630 replacement pads.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998026530.html

To my great relief, it fits very well with ndh-20 (technically, hd630 is kinda ndh-20 in term of shape), although it was noticeably harder to insert the replacement pads because the outer ring of the pads were soft and slightly shorter than the original pads.

I can't really say much about the sound difference, as my old pads are already busted, and I don't A/B them regularly enough to make a statement. But one thing I'm sure is the replacement pads are thicker in size, so that might affect the FR especially with bass and treble.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #685 of 830
So on occasion it appears to be muffled, but really isnt, it is quite good at spurting out some treble fidelity when called for.

The Neumann's are one of those sets of headphones that don't try to create what isn't there...
The Recent Focal MG's are similar.
In Both cases, the sound is generally Linear and Organic, and refuses to RE-EQ the music.
In my review of the Focal MG< i said the mids are a touch dry, but i dont mean dull or lazy or flat. I mean they dont apply any real sound sculpting.
What you put in, is what you get out.

So, with something like the Empyrean's, which try to make everything sound good.. The Focal MGs and the Neumann dont.
They try to give you accuracy.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #689 of 830
Since you are familiar with these and the Ananda's. If you could only afford one which would it be?

Trick question :)

Sonically they are quite different.

Let me answer it like this... The Ananda is more comfortable, but it has a low treble, or high mid, situation,... that....if you are treble sensitive, could slightly bug you.
The Neumann, is designed to be a studio reference set of "on ear monitors", that works nicely for listening sessions, but, has not the sound stage or the comfort of the Ananda. The Neumann also does not have that slight glare situation that comes built right in regarding the Ananda.
If you like to listen for long periods then the Neumann's pads could be less inviting regarding that situation, whereas the Ananda is easy to wear and should not present you with any comfort issues.
I prefer the Neumann's regarding SQ and the Ananda regarding comfort and fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back