Neumann NDH 20
Dec 7, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #646 of 830
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #647 of 830
Dec 7, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #648 of 830
Seeing it is made by Sennheiser and based on a HD650 as a starting block, it's not surprising.
Yes, I'm aware it is made for Sennheiser in China.

Rather, my post was praise of Sennheiser for doing such a great job with tonality, once again.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #649 of 830
The Neumann design team may have had a bit to do with the final result as well.

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #653 of 830
I'm not an audio engineer, I don't make music, and I don't know about audio.
Would I enjoy these headphones for listening to music, watching movies and playing games?

As I don't know crap about audio, I don't know what to look out for regarding headphones. It's a jungle out there and it's giving me a headache. All I know is that I want the best closed back headphone under 650 euro. I have been doing a lot of research for two straight weeks and I am more confused every day. For every headphone opinions differ because it's such a subjective grey area. Most people don't mention what equipment they use with their headphones and what they listen to, so you really can't tell crap from their opinions. Also I believe that we humans are heavily programmed and we just like what we are used to. Something different can take weeks to grow on you or even convince you that it's better, so going to a store and testing 10 headphones in a row for 5 minutes just messes with your brain I think.

Looking for a new headphone is a freakin' nightmare. Reviews and opinions conflict all the time. I wish Head Fi made some guide thingy where you can filter headphone models based on things you find important. Every time I think I have narrowed down my selection of possible headphones, I read another review or opinion and he/she mentions another headphone I've never heard of, and so my search goes on forever and ever.

So conclusion, I don't know what sound I want or like. I have had the AKG 271 Studio for over a decade, I liked them, but I felt they sounded a bit cold and boring, not enough warmth and bass. But don't get me wrong, I do not want a bass monster. I also do not want high pitched sounds killing my ears. I also don't want my ears to get tired from the sound.

So why am I interested in these headphones? This is what matters to me:
- Closed back.
- Honest neutral sound while still being able to enjoy clarity and bass.
- Longevity. So perfect build quality.
- Cable, not wireless.
- I have a small-medium head, so I would prefer not a huge beast of a headphone.
- Availability. I live in the Netherlands. Those freakin' Argons are just impossible to get for example.

The Neumanns seem to tick a lot of boxes but I'm a bit worried I wouldn't enjoy them as a listener only.
Also on my mind is the Focal Elegia, but it's a bit too expensive for my taste I think. I found it for 630 euro somewhere.

Could someone help me decide, or come up with another suggestion?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #654 of 830
@enomiss you're going to love them - run to your keyboard and order them. Listening to my set now and they have a superlative sound - very nice and deep bottom end and lack of obtrusive brightness at the top end. Detailed, but not with the typically screechy upper midrange to give the impression of "detailed". A phone you could crank if you wanted to, but they sound great also at lower volumes. Great reproduction of piano - Listening now to Chick Corea's "Trilogy" and the Neumann really has you there in with the crowd.
Another thing - the bass drum (in the Jacques Loussier Trio's "Play's Bach" on Telarc CD) literally has the same sort of body impact as listening through speakers - something I haven't heard before in phones. It's not boomy - that bass drum is exactly how it should sound.
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/175/MI0000175747.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #655 of 830
@enomiss you're going to love them - run to your keyboard and order them. Listening to my set now and they have a superlative sound - very nice and deep bottom end and lack of obtrusive brightness at the top end. Detailed, but not with the typically screechy upper midrange to give the impression of "detailed". A phone you could crank if you wanted to, but they sound great also at lower volumes. Great reproduction of piano - Listening now to Chick Corea's "Trilogy" and the Neumann really has you there in with the crowd.
Another thing - the bass drum (in the Jacques Loussier Trio's "Play's Bach" on Telarc CD) literally has the same sort of body impact as listening through speakers - something I haven't heard before in phones. It's not boomy - that bass drum is exactly how it should sound.
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/175/MI0000175747.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Thank you for your reply. This sounds very good and like a headphone to my liking. Tomorrow I'll probably decide and let you know. Do you think they will go nicely with Topping E30+L30 or D50s+A50s? Or would you have a suggestion for a DAC+AMP combo that suits these headphones well? A combination with similar matching esthetics and of simular pricing. An all in one device would be even better. I also want to connect two hifi speakers in a later stage. Any advice would be super appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #656 of 830
Thank you for your reply. This sounds very good and like a headphone to my liking. Tomorrow I'll probably decide and let you know. Do you think they will go nicely with Topping E30+L30 or D50s+A50s? Or would you have a suggestion for a DAC+AMP combo that suits these headphones well? A combination with similar matching esthetics and of simular pricing. An all in one device would be even better. I also want to connect two hifi speakers in a later stage. Any advice would be super appreciated.
I use the two in my signature (Burson and Fidelice) and both sound great and can be used as preamps.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #658 of 830
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #659 of 830
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back