Neumann NDH 20
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #827 of 830
This is my favorite closed back so far, with the DT-150 being my second favorite “flavor”.

I’ve yet to experience a closed back with more of a speaker feel to them. Particularly the bass. It plays tricks with me, and sometimes when I’m in the music, I get a placebo effect of feeling vibrating bass outside of my head. Perception is weird.

And they sound so full and lush throughout all frequencies.

Headband pad was a let down, but there are ways to remedy that, and these were worth the time to figure out extra head padding.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #828 of 830
So I ordered the Geekria hd650 headpad, and it was too big; then ordered the official hd650 pad from Sennheiser.

Same size. Too big.

Too long, and too wide for the ndh20 headband.

I tried trimming the Geekria pad, and I still couldn’t get it to fit. Ended up damaging the cloth covering. Glad I tested on the cheap one.

Anyway, in the end, I folded the ends of the Sennheiser pad backwards, applied some small Velcro strips to the back, and then attached the pad to the ndh20 headband. Then, because the middle of the headband is flexible rubber, I was able to “tuck” the hd650 pad in that middle section.

It isn’t as perfect as I’d like, but man it’s a lot more comfortable, and it looks nice as long as I don’t stare closely and fixate on it.
Thanks for your reply, this was the exact experience that I had with the Geekria band. Do you think I'll be able to do the same with the Geekria band (I still have it lying around) as you did with the official Sennheiser band? Or is this only possible with the Sennheiser band because it is more flexible?

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #829 of 830
I’m looking for a new cable and pads for my NDH 20 BE. I need a cable that is durable enough for studio use. I work in radio and do commercial voice over work. Basically it has to be something I won’t cry about if I roll over it with my office chair. I’d be willing to spend no more than $250 USD on them.

I got some Brainwavz pads for my AKG K271 MKII and I love them. Does anyone know of brand and model of pads that will fit without heavy modifications to the pads itself? Budget is $100 USD max.

I run them through a Rupert Neve RNHP headphone amp. Single ended connection only in a broadcast environment.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #830 of 830
Hey folks,

I just joined this forum to talk about the NDH 20 with you, as this is the only thread right now with someone who actually tested them (FullBright1).

I received my pair of the Neumann NDH 20 and I'm having some kind of trouble with them. Either my listening habits are very bad and the headphones reveal them (which I highly doubt), or there is something wrong with them, but I'm not happy with them at all. Here is why:

The Problem

1) The sound is somewhat distant. It feels like the headphones are creating some sort of soundstage from where the music is coming from. Like they put the music through a small room reverb. Therefore the music feels muddy and washed-out.
2) The mids around 2-3 KHz are very weak and don't have enough energy to cut through. When I'm listening to Rock / Metal I'm always like "where have the guitars gone?"

The Reference

I own a pair of Neumann KH120 A studio monitors in a treated studio environment and a Shure SRH 840 Headphone. On both of these devices the mids are crystal clear and present comparing to the NDH 20. To get the same sound with the NDH 20 I need to boost the mids around 2 KHz with about 4 dB! That's a lot! Neumann always stands for a clear sound, whether it is their microphones or their monitors, but these headphones ... I don't know ...

In comparison to FullBright1's very positive review I start to feel that my headphones may be broken? I thought the NDH 20 will crush my SRH 840 as they play in different ball parks, but with the SRH 840 the music is right on front of me and the mids clear. So far I'm very disappointed and will send them back.
I bought my NDH30 because if same issue….very washed out and veiled sound some songs sounded ok and others boring , has a good bass and sound está he has a lot of deep and very good soundstage for me but can’t get the funny aspect of the music so I sold it out…….I think that orange fabric that cover the driver is too thicker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back