Need to find a good set of Monitoring Cans
Aug 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
My beef with using the dt48 for monitoring is the roll off on both ends. some cymbal crashes for instance, that are very audible with the k240Df are barely audible at all with the dt48. The low bass roll off is another issue, but for monitoring the mid range they are excellent. RP21 is quite bass heavy, but pretty neutral otherwise. An extensive review of studio headphones in Sound on Sound magazine rated the shure 440 very highly...higher than the m50, FWIW.

x2 from personal experience, but definitely nice to have as part of anyone's recording arsenal

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
x2 from personal experience, but definitely nice to have as part of anyone's recording arsenal

Definitely not going to 'part' with mine!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 26
honestly, either one would be great.  the more I listen to the M50's the better they sound and for under 100 shipped they are truly a steal.  Fantastic bass on them, great detail. etc.

The DT48's are just legendary... But considerably more expensive. and not as comfortable as the M50's

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #19 of 26
Hey all, thanks for all of your thoughts thus far.  I really like some of the suggestions, however, these have to be closed headphones.  I'm liking (surprisingly) those Shure 840's, and would probably like the dt48's if it weren't for their price
blink.gif
.  Any other thoughts now that the closed requirement is in there? Are those Koss DJ's even worth considering (nothing against Koss, I just know how there "high end" stuff can be :frowning2: )

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #20 of 26
The Koss DJ 100's you were asking about are definitely worth it. They're $50 on sale and $80 retail, but I prefer them to a lot of other more expensive headphones.
I'd probably suggest the SRH-840 over them if you can get those for cheap, but I do like the sound signature on my DJ 100 more. They're just more comfortable and less fatiguing. The cheap price also helps!
They also have a lifetime warranty.

Maybe pick up the SRH-840 (or 440) along with something else and return whatever one you don't like.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #21 of 26
As far as cheaper the better goes how about the MB Quart QP 805 HS

As far as the Shure SRH-840 goes, I just don't go much on the comfort level, I find them to be heavy and press down on the top of my head rather painfully which leads to a headache after 5 minutes of use. Some people don't have this problem with them though.

Out of the three studio Monitor headphones I have, I would say the Sony MDR-7506/V6 are my favourites. Enough bass to keep me happy without over doing it. High frequencies are definitely there. Kind of a love or hate topic on this forum though.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 26

As far as the Shure SRH-840 goes, I just don't go much on the comfort level, I find them to be heavy and press down on the top of my head rather painfully which leads to a headache after 5 minutes of use.

And do the earpads crush the ears? the mdr-7506 shell crushes mine like hell...I've been spoiled by the cd3k cups hah, they don't put any pressure on my ears whatsoever.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:

And do the earpads crush the ears? the mdr-7506 shell crushes mine like hell...I've been spoiled by the cd3k cups hah, they don't put any pressure on my ears whatsoever.

Nope not at all. The Sony MDR-7506 are the most comfortable pair I own. No problems there for me anyway. Weird how some cans can be super comfy for some people and not for others.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #24 of 26
I am surprised that no one mentioned Senn HD25-1II (or I missed). It cost half of DT48, but in monitoring use, it's good enough. Probably one of the best headphones in monitoring use under 150$. If you don't want to use amp, then it's best.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 26

Nope not at all. The Sony MDR-7506 are the most comfortable pair I own. No problems there for me anyway. Weird how some cans can be super comfy for some people and not for others.

Well, the CD3K and SRH840 earpads have an inner surface of 65x45mm and the latter's are 15mm thick. the cd900st is 58x35x0.8, 0.8 is only enough for ppl w/ small ears I presume.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #26 of 26
You can get used to an uncomfortable headphone. I can wear the Pioneer Monitor 10 for longer than an hour after which my head needs a break. The old Sony DR 6A is pretty much on par with the old Pioneer but even worse for it is an on ear headphone with around the ear padding. 

My AKG K240 DF is light and very comfortable. The V6 was pretty good but the earpads were on the thin side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back