Need recommendations for 2.0 speakers.
Jun 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

thope

Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I need some recommendations for a fully active 2.0 system, money is no object but place is(please don't recommend gla55s 1000$ is an object for 2.0 speakers). i've looked at bose, b&w ($500?? how do these stack against AV40/ AE A2s). bose T20's are the max in terms of size so i need something smallish.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 10
I ran M-Audio AV40's for a while and they sounded great, but low end was a little lacking for my tastes. I eventually upgraded to BX5A's and they sounded much much better. I'd recommend either of those, depending on your needs.

As of recently, I tried out KRK RP6's, which I found to be too boomy. I imagine the KRK RP5's would have suited my needs better, but I can't be sure because I never tried them. I liked the overall sound of the KRK's but I felt the heavy bass in the RP6's muddied the vocals a bit.

Being unhappy overall with the KRK's, I picked up some Dynaudio BM5A's today. They're perfect...absolutely perfect to my ears. The bass is there, but the vocals are still crisp and fluid. If you don't mind spending the money, I'd definitely give them a listen. But for a budget, I don't think you can go wrong with M-Audio BX5A's.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 10
I discovered swan m50w and instantly fell in love with them, so I decided to go the 2.1 route.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 10
I picked up a pair of Focal XS Book Speakers and I am extremely happy with my purchase. 

I'm listening to them through my bifrost DAC  though, so its possible that I might not like them as much if I was listening to them without a DAC, but I'm too lazy to compare

Also, If you want a large bass presence you will need a sub, but for my needs, these speakers are perfect

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
No, really.  How much is your budget?

This.

Are you certain you need *active* speakers (i.e. amplifier channels built in)?  Like others are saying, amp + passives opens up a fair bit more options.

Also, as far as size goes, you're talking the T20 cube size (6.25"H x 3"W x 4"D) as your max?  The Av40 you mentioned is 8.75" (H) x 6" (W) x 7.25" (D).

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Hello everybody, I need some recommendations for a fully active 2.0 system, money is no object but place is(please don't recommend gla55s 1000$ is an object for 2.0 speakers). i've looked at bose, b&w ($500?? how do these stack against AV40/ AE A2s). bose T20's are the max in terms of size so i need something smallish.

Audioengine A2 is superior. It is even better than the A5.

If you want same sonic characteristics but with bigger volume I would suggest:

AVI-d ADM 9T

for about $2300.

Throw in a full silver cable for additional $1200~ 1600 depending on length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back