Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget
Jul 30, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #16 of 36
Not sure man I've never heard those before. It also depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for aggression in your rock music? I've heard grados do great in rock not sure if its true though. I have IE8s which share a similar sound signature to the HD650s and I think they do quite nicely on rock, especially since recabling them with silver cable.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 36
Tubes are the only way to go. I prefer using Burr Brown opamps because they have that warmer sound and I can only dream of going full tube.

The tube warmth complements the sharp articulation of the Grado treble very well. Then again some people like tubes for everything. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 36
I have been using (and still do) Grado phones for about 6 years now and love them. I recently purchased a 600ohm DT 880 600 and they are quite good for rock, just last night I was listening to 10 000 Days by Tool with them. I actually like the fact that the DT 880 steps the mids and treble back just a little as it helps make all those horendously compressed rock recordings bareable!

Shame you don't find the Grado's comfy enough for you, but for sure the DT 880 is comfy. I use a Valhalla amp with my cans as well as a solid state amp and both ways are great. The Valhalla provides a more forward presentation of mids and I found listening with the HF2 and aggressive rock sometimes too forward in the mids, not very much so, but enough that I would turn the volume down a tad. The 880 and the Valhalla don't suffer this due to the slightly recessed mids.

I love Grado, but if you are going tube and really like rock you might find the 880 a compelling fit. From what I read the 600ohm version sounds the best, but if you go that route remember your amp must be up to the challenge of driving the cans, and forget doing it right from an iPod without an amp to assist it. If you are buying for mostly home use then really give the DT 880 some consideration. If you aren't completely against the Grado feel then try to get either a used HF2 or a 225i. Cheers.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #20 of 36
The HD650 are $369 on newegg with no tax and free shipping.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
I decided to go on the ATH-AD900. Need recommendations about online stores that ships worldwide.
Lowest prices as possible.
10x.

Heya,

Before you pull the trigger on the AD900... which, one last time, I'll recommend against... have you considered just getting G-cush pads for a Grado making them over-ear and comfortable? A SR225i with G-Cush would be right up your ally and under budget. Also, for your genres, check out the Fischer Audio FA-011. Again, way under budget. And check out the AKG K240 MKII. Under budget. There's still of course the HD595 and HD598, both under budget. All the above, would likely satisfy you more than an AD900 for rock, jazz & electronic. AD900's are fairly anemic. So if you want a headphone that's all mids, highs, and no bass for your genres, then maybe it is the can for you, but if that doesn't sound like something you're looking for, then look at another can.

That said, Amazon has them for just over $200. For sale section in the forum might have a few sunk down in the pages for less.

Very best,

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
I decided to go on the ATH-AD900. Need recommendations about online stores that ships worldwide.
Lowest prices as possible.
10x.

For your genre consider Sony SA5000, it needs just a little power but it's a sweet sounding, fast headphone which is terrific for both electronica and instrumental music. ATH-AD1000 and beyer DT880 are also solid choices, I would consider them a step above the AD900, that said an AD900 is much easier to power if that is a deciding factor.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #23 of 36
Adding $50 to your budget, you could consider the Sennheiser HD650 which very many people seem happy with.
At that price that's what I would probably be spending my money on if I were after open cans that were comfortable.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 36
MalVeauX, thanks for the quick answer.
I've heard the Sennheisers & didn't find them to fit my taste. I attend to purchase the G-cushions (BTW, where can I buy them?) for my Grados anyway & check out the results, but regardless to that I attend to purchase new cans.
Almost everyone I talked with about the ad900 are saying they rg8 for my genres & after all it's a chance I'm willing to take.
Anyways, unfortunately the store you've mentioned on Amazon is not willing to ship to Israel.
The SA5000 is a bit above my budget but are they really worth it?

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost everyone I talked with about the ad900 are saying they rg8 for my genres & after all it's a chance I'm willing to take.
Anyways, unfortunately the store you've mentioned on Amazon is not willing to ship to Israel.
The SA5000 is a bit above my budget but are they really worth it?

Sony's SA series I've never listened to, but most say it's weak on bass, much like the AD900.
They look awesome though.

The Audio Technicas will be EXTREMELY comfortable but I think you are making a big mistake.
It was definitely my worst headphone mistake.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
Sony's SA series I've never listened to, but most say it's weak on bass, much like the AD900.
They look awesome though.

The Audio Technicas will be EXTREMELY comfortable but I think you are making a big mistake.
It was definitely my worst headphone mistake.

So what do u recommend? already disqualify Grado Sennheiser AKG (hard to drive) Sony & AD. What's left
Except the Senns, it's not possible for me to test the cans before buying them, so it will be a "blind purchase" based on other people opinions.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
So what do u recommend? already disqualify Grado Sennheiser AKG (hard to drive) Sony & AD. What's left
Except the Senns, it's not possible for me to test the cans before buying them, so it will be a "blind purchase" based on other people opinions.

Heya,

DT880 32ohm.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back