Need Opinions on $100-150 Range, Closed Headphones for Gaming/Orchestrated Music/Electronic Music
Jan 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Scytus

100+ Head-Fier
Was hoping to get some final opinions on my situation x]
To be honest, I probably didn't know what I was really looking for before (price range, open/closed, uses).
After hours upon hours of digging up old posts, and after (I'm sure) pestering a head-fi member for opinions via pm, I've narrowed down my selection:

Denon D1100 (I've read these should be with EQ)
Beyer DT770 (32/80 Ohm?)
Beyer DT660
ATH-A700
ATH-M50
HD280
SRH750DJ

Main contenders I'm considering: Denon D1100, Beyer DT770

Intended uses:
Gaming
Electronic Music
Orchestrated Music

Priorities:

Quality - I would like my friends to get that "wow" factor when they try on the headphones, so I can prove to them that it's most definitely worth it 
dt880smile.png
. I'm not necessarily looking for the unnoticeable (to the untrained) marginal differences as most audiophiles do (such as differences between the HD600 and HD650), but at the same time I am still looking for the best quality I can get for my price range.
Isolation - I would've put official noise-cancelling headphones in the list, but i really don't want to have to maintain a battery in my headphones
Comfort - As a gamer/student, I'll be wearing these for a couple hours at a time
Bass - Bass isn't super important, but I would like it to have that nice punch.
Highs/Mids - Clarity, important to all audiophiles. (Even though I don't consider myself one)
Soundstage - I don't usually play FPS games(I'm more RPG/RTS), but I am looking for the best soundstage I can get out of closed headphones.
Amp-less - I would like to not be required to use an amp to get the quality of my headphones, as I would mainly use it for my MP3 player/laptop computer.

Beyers are somewhat out of my price range, but I've been able to spot them on eBay, might be able to drive the price down a notch, which is why they're up for consideration.

I hope it's okay that I've made a thread a day after my previous one, I really don't mean to clutter.
Thank you again! 

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 25
The DT770 32 ohm is NOT easy to drive contrary to popular beliefs. They will just sound weak without a amp. If you dont want to get an amp, get the ATH M50s. They are really just one of the best of the 100-150 closed dynamic headphones price range.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 25
It should be between the D1100 and ATH-M50, since you're using an mp3 player or laptop I don't think you should get the DT770. It's easier if you're using it with a desktop computer, because there are cheap soundcards like the ~$25 Xonar DG with a weak but passable headphone amp built in that can probably handle the 32/80-Ohm versions.

The D1100 should have more bass quantity, slightly more soundstage, reduced build quality/durability, and further recessed mids over the ATH-M50. I don't think either will disappoint.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
It should be between the D1100 and ATH-M50, since you're using an mp3 player or laptop I don't think you should get the DT770. It's easier if you're using it with a desktop computer, because there are cheap soundcards like the ~$25 Xonar DG with a weak but passable headphone amp built in that can probably handle the 32/80-Ohm versions.

The D1100 should have more bass quantity, slightly more soundstage, reduced build quality/durability, and further recessed mids over the ATH-M50. I don't think either will disappoint.

Definitely Understood, I feel as though the D1100's will be the headphones for me, though the reduced build quality/durability is something I've read previously, with users specifying the build was really not at all on par with the sound quality of the headphones. I wonder if there is some mod, or just a headband replacement I can do to make it feel and look the exact same quality it sounds? purely aesthetic question x]

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 25
The answer to that is just buying the D2000 instead.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 25
Blah, double my budget.

I think I'll be satisfied with the D1100's, it'll be my first "real" headphones, I'm excited to be getting them 
beyersmile.png

Any headphone stands you guys recommend (that I'd be able to find on amazon or somewhere), I read banana stands are popular x]

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 25
I didn't put D1100 for a proper gaming test yet as the overall sound wasn't quite according to my taste but maybe I will do some testing on that today and comment on that. I've already put them up for sale though. I can imagine it would work fairly good due to the fairly large soundstage and good separation.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 25

I didn't put D1100 for a proper gaming test yet as the overall sound wasn't quite according to my taste but maybe I will do some testing on that today and comment on that. I've already put them up for sale though. I can imagine it would work fairly good due to the fairly large soundstage and good separation.

That would be extremely helpful, thank you. Can i also ask why youd be putting them on sale?

Would anyone also be able to tell me how the K271MKII, HD448, and HFI-580 compare 

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 25
I've already seem to found a headphone with the sound signature I personally prefer which sounds exactly the way I want it to (which I know simply due to having tested several other ones and know where it stands in different aspects to other ones) which is the Sony XB500 due to being more warm/forward/aggressive sounding with less recessed mids and the D1100 was too "distant" sounding for my liking, whatever I'm listening to music or gaming I prefer a more "in your face" sound as for me it creates better immersion. I know others may prefer very laid-back sound signature for gaming too especially because laid-back headphones often have better separation at least, so it comes down to taste. For me it's more important how clearly it delivers the positional cues in sound, how accurately I can interpret where the enemies I'm not seeing but hearing are moving for online gaming and for the singleplayer it's also more enjoyable and realistic feeling when positional sound is clear (altough I do think the software part plays a far greater role here, thanks to kX Audio drivers I can get at least decent 3D positional sound with any headphone).

I think Ultrasone HFI-580 may also be a good choice, the mids are better than on D1100 and should have a decent soundstage as well.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 25
I've tested the D1100 for a bit gaming, mainly Unreal Tournament 3 (I used to play for one of europe's best warfare clans and I've got like 3000hrs on this game probably) and Fallout New Vegas. The recessed mids were somewhat noticable here as well but the soundstage appeared to be about the same as on the XB500 and the cues for the positioning came out about as good, perhaps even slightly better on XB500. I've had similar experiences in the past though, soundstage and 3D positional sound ability aren't quite connected. For example the Sennheiser HD 212 Pro I have have a bit smaller soundstage but very clear 3D sound positioning, possibly tiny bit better than XB500 even. I seemed to lack some kind of excitement in the sound with the D1100, it's rather "dull" for gaming, maybe due to the recessed mids and somewhat held back highs mixed with the slightly more laid-back sound compared to XB500. I've heard one guy commenting on the gaming experience with D1100 on a Xbox360 and he wasn't overly impressed either but it's really hard to explain it but it's not the optimal choice for gaming even if soundstage is pretty decent and 3D positional sound as well, it's the sound quality of the mids and highs that doesn't seem to connect well in gaming for me, a bit similar experience as with AKG K 518 DJs which are quite similar sounding to D1100, they didn't either fare well with gaming.

I haven't tried Ultrasone HFI-580 but based on everything I've read about it, I'd think it would suit you better than D1100 and these are headphones that are often liked by electronica listeners due to their forward/aggressive sound (which I personally think is good for gaming too) and punchy bass with S-Logic sound that should at least bring a decent soundstage and the clarity is better as it's brighter (more boosted highs) but from an Ultrasone point of view not very bright compared to like HFI-780 for example. So yea I think these would be among the best options for you.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #15 of 25
Just cross the Sennheisers out allready. I don't think any of their budget models can hold their own to the other headphones you mentioned.

I don't have anything else to say on this matter except the Beyerdynamic DT 770s are full-size cans and will offer the best comfort and isolation of all the other headphones on your list. However, if sound quality is at all important to you and you don't absolutely HATE the premium models' appearance, you should stay far, far away from the DT 770 Pros. If DT 770 is still an option for you then please opt for a 600 ohm Premium model. (Yes, 600 ohm. Any DT 770 will require an amp anyway and this is the best sounding of the bunch. If you can't get an amp powerful enough for the 600 ohm version then you could consider the 32 or 250 ohm configurations - they won't make that much of a difference, but in this particular case, higher ohm rating = better quality. Again, don't touch the Pros, no matter what anyone tells you.)

Edit: I can recommend the ATH-M50s for sound quality in general, and they will provide a deep, punchy but not exaggerated bass that will probably fall in your liking. Other popular gaming options for the same price are the ATH-AD700 and the Sennheiser HD 555/595, although I have no personal experience with any of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back