Need new headphones for ~$100
Sep 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 25

Quote:

I'd choose the HFI-580's over the M50's. 

They are both two very good headphones.

M50s seem to have the upper hand in bass though. This is not always the best but it can make a difference on what you want.
Bass/Mids = M50s
Mids/Highs = HFI 580s.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:

They are both two very good headphones.

M50s seem to have the upper hand in bass though. This is not always the best but it can make a difference on what you want.
Bass/Mids = M50s
Mids/Highs = HFI 580s.

Yep, but the 580's ideally for rock. 
smile.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 25
What a coincidence (although I suppose almost every day the $100 question gets asked)! I'm also in the market for some full-sized cans. At first I chose the AD700, but then I read that they're bass anemic. I'm currently using a pair of Panasonic Slimz and they have 0 bass. I can't stand it. I dropped the idea of any open-air headphones (the HD555 specifically). I've concluded that anything in the $100 range that is open-air can't possibly have good bass. 

Then some very popular closed headphones came into my view. The MDR-V6 (allegedly the same as the 7506), HD280, and the SRH440. I haven't really seen anything else in this price range as enticing as those 3. I'm worried about comfort mainly. I intend to run all of these through my Razer Orca's (RIP) extension cord, chill on my sofa, and playback some games/anime (speakers are not an option....). 

Are the pads on the V6 uncomfortable? I see people paying $20 for the beyer velour replacements.... Thats 1/3rd of the headphones price (1/4th of the 7506). Is the stock one uncomfortable or does it just break apart?

I hear the SRH440 are total crap when it comes to comfort. They get hot and the headband is hefty.

I don't know that much about the HD280, but I've seen it stated that they're better for all-round when compared to the V6.

It's down to those three and I'm really leaning towards the Sony pair. If anyone can tell me otherwise about the bass on an open-aired pair then that would also be welcome.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. These shall be my main headphones. I mainly listen to orchestra (video game soundtracks, movie scores, some classical), opera, and j-pop.

EDIT #2: Just checked some reviews. It looks like I'll be getting either the HD280pro or the Sony ZX700.

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
What a coincidence (although I suppose almost every day the $100 question gets asked)! I'm also in the market for some full-sized cans. At first I chose the AD700, but then I read that they're bass anemic. I'm currently using a pair of Panasonic Slimz and they have 0 bass. I can't stand it. I dropped the idea of any open-air headphones (the HD555 specifically). I've concluded that anything in the $100 range that is open-air can't possibly have good bass. 

Then some very popular closed headphones came into my view. The MDR-V6 (allegedly the same as the 7506), HD280, and the SRH440. I haven't really seen anything else in this price range as enticing as those 3. I'm worried about comfort mainly. I intend to run all of these through my Razer Orca's (RIP) extension cord, chill on my sofa, and playback some games/anime (speakers are not an option....). 

Are the pads on the V6 uncomfortable? I see people paying $20 for the beyer velour replacements.... Thats 1/3rd of the headphones price (1/4th of the 7506). Is the stock one uncomfortable or does it just break apart?

I hear the SRH440 are total crap when it comes to comfort. They get hot and the headband is hefty.

I don't know that much about the HD280, but I've seen it stated that they're better for all-round when compared to the V6.

It's down to those three and I'm really leaning towards the Sony pair. If anyone can tell me otherwise about the bass on an open-aired pair then that would also be welcome.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. These shall be my main headphones. I mainly listen to orchestra (video game soundtracks, movie scores, some classical), opera, and j-pop.

SRH440s aren't HORRIBLE when it comes to comfort. I listen to my friends all the time. They just lack a *****-ton of bass.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 25
the pads on the v6 are comfortable but they break down within a couple of years max. people get the velour pads to replace because it makes them ubber comfy, plus it makes the headphone as good or better than the m50 imo. ymmv.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 25
Hey guys I ended up going with the ATH M50s. They seemed to be the best fit for me.

They arrived at my door today and I gotta say I LOVE THEM!!!

Its been a while since Ive wanted to go search for ipod music again, but these things are awesome. Thanks for the help guys its greatly appreciated.

Btw 2 noob questions.

How hard is it to blow the phones on these with an unamped ipod? sounds stupid I know, I just dont want to wreck them like my pk2s.

Alos how long is the burn in on these?

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #22 of 25
honestly I dont think you can. unless you instantly power them on at 100% volume on some peruvian death metal song or something. be more worried about drops

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #23 of 25
Ok great, I just wanted to double check. I saw some guys comment on amazon after i posted that and it was that he hit like 118 dBs
L3000.gif
when he amped his and they didnt blow. im not even touching those levels, I dont think anybody in general does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back