Need info on some Acoustic headphones. HELP THIS NEWBIE!!! XD
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 47
Heya,

I've tried the AudioTechnicas, the open cans, and they sound great with acoustic. I tested them all with Ani Difranco specifically. The opens are great if you're just at home. The sound stage matters to me with acoustic. I don't want to sound like I'm in a box with the music, I want to sound like we're in a room together. Increased sound stage gives you that. So I can't help but say go open.

It's too bad you are dead set on AudioTechnica. There's better options for what you're looking for.

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 47
To the OP:

I agree, it is too bad you're dead set of Audio Technica...I recently bought a pair of MB Quart QP400's, which are VERY open, but really accentuate the mids and highs, which is important for acoustic music. The vocals in them are unbelievable as well. I got them for $109, originally priced at about $350. Something else to consider...

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #19 of 47
I'm open to any new suggestions. i just set on Audio technica cause its what i know through research to be what im looking for but you guys have the experience so your word is worth more than research. I do love classical AND acoustic. it blows that most headphones (reasonably priced XD) will make you choose one or the other. So feel free to widen my eyes to newer and better things! XD

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #21 of 47

Quote:
I'm open to any new suggestions. i just set on Audio technica cause its what i know through research to be what im looking for but you guys have the experience so your word is worth more than research. I do love classical AND acoustic. it blows that most headphones (reasonably priced XD) will make you choose one or the other. So feel free to widen my eyes to newer and better things! XD

Heya,

Well, I would point you to two headphones right away. Grado SR225i. Shure 940. And if you have proper amplification, look at the DT880 and the AKG 701.

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 47
Even the AKG K601 sounds pretty good unamped. I'm actually planning on either the K601/2 or K701/2 for my next headphone

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #23 of 47
Malveaux, are both of those good for acoustic and classical? through this post ive been swayed a bit toward grado. i always saw them as more hardcore rock bases cans but if they are as multi purpose as im being lead to believe then thats absolutely for me. Shure is legendary anyway XD will that model do what i want though?

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #24 of 47

Quote:
Malveaux, are both of those good for acoustic and classical? through this post ive been swayed a bit toward grado. i always saw them as more hardcore rock bases cans but if they are as multi purpose as im being lead to believe then thats absolutely for me. Shure is legendary anyway XD will that model do what i want though?

Heya,

Absolutely yes.

The Grado is more forward, energetic and is open back. So if leaking is an issue that's a problem. Then there's comfort. Grados are either ok for you, or they're not. These two headphones (Shure 940 and the Grado 225) are quite similar. I think I'd push you towards the Grado more for rock. The Shure 940 more for classical, acoustic, vocals, indie, folk. Grado for rock, jazz, pop and some acoustic too. Other than that, simply open back versus closed back. I went with Shure 940 for isolation so I could use them out in public without much sound leakage both in/out.

Very best,

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 47
i have of beyer 770's and they are closed but the shures sound like more what i want. the beyers are pretty neutral over all and that enough for my techno, dubstep, trance, mixing etc. even rock is pretty great on them for a 32ohm model. So it seems to me that the Shures will give me the range of easy listening music that i really want. house the soundstage on the shures? is it more boxed or wide? i like my classical and opera to be wide as if i was in an auditorium but i prefer my blues, jazz, and acoustic to be more in your face like your one on one with the artist. im just hard to please i guess XD

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #26 of 47

Quote:
AD700/900's and Grado would be my top picks for that. 

Don't get the M50's, you want something airier than that. 

Quote:
I love your music OP

Do you want John Mayer: Where the Light is, to sound great?

I would go Grado.Sr125i
Because your music relies on mostly Mids and Highs with a touch of bass. And that's what Grado do. 
The soundstage isn't big, but that's not a must have. Some people choose to have their music to sound personal
Easy to drive, so no amp

Other then that, the AD900's would be too open and loose their sound
The A900 are better for music and are easy to drive
Beyer would be good also for Rock, but check out if they need a amp before you buy.

Kiteki, the Ad900 can only be modded for SQ by removing foam and dampening. But it's not a big difference, 5-10% increase is all.

Agreed - go for the Grado phones in your price range.
I've had the 80, 125, 225, 225i, and 325is.
Of those, my favorite is the 225i  .

I don't think that any of the ATs I've heard (700s open and closed, 900 closed, M50) 
will give you the sound you described like the Grado's will.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #27 of 47
+1 for the Grados.  I've got a set of woodied 225i's and I love them with acoustic music...so much so that I went out and bought a handful of exclusively acoustic albums. Honestly, I'm not even a fan of the acoustic genre as a general rule, but they're seriously making me rethink all of the music I love.  The Grados are my go-to at home cans now; after I get back to the hooch from work, I lay back on my crappy little Afghan bed and get lost in some Clapton, Miles Davis, or one of my couple hundred acoustic cover songs I've managed to find over the last few weeks.  And vocals...Jesus Christ, I even like Katy Perry now.  :-/  Davey's voice on AFI's Crash Love album is sickeningly good.

Don't get me wrong.  They rock the f out when put to the task by the likes of Killswitch Engage and their kin, but they are very well behaved and fairly tame when they need to be.  I wasn't the world's biggest fan of the SR60i's--I felt they were harsh to a point that I used to think I was sensitive to HF--but the 225i's have made a Grado believer out of me.

I'm downloading beethoven's 9th from Amazon right now; I can let you know how these fair with that, too.

That said, Mal's advice is generally very, very good.  If he likes the 940s that much I would definitely keep them in mind, but I don't have any experience with them personally.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 47
Guys guys guys, don't overhype them!

Many people have been a victim of the overwhelming tide of Grado headphone love. I'm sure it's just that we've all been around the block and that we've all settled on the same thing haha.

Seriously, about those SR-225's, how AWESOME are they?

I actually enjoy the SR-60 harshness

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 47

Quote:
Guys guys guys, don't overhype them!

Many people have been a victim of the overwhelming tide of Grado headphone love. I'm sure it's just that we've all been around the block and that we've all settled on the same thing haha.

Seriously, about those SR-225's, how AWESOME are they?

I actually enjoy the SR-60 harshness

Lol...I try not to!  I even bought a set of woodied MS-1i's for my wife back home.  We'll find out if I overhyped them when she gets them Monday...

And yes.  They are stupendous.  I've got a set of XB700s that I use for almost everything else and at work--they're so comfortable and good enough at everything that I can listen to them all day long--but when I get back to my room and just want to lose myself in music instead of having it as background noise, I grab my 225s and drift away.

Also:
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #30 of 47

Quote:

Lol...I try not to!  I even bought a set of woodied MS-1i's for my wife back home.  We'll find out if I overhyped them when she gets them Monday...

And yes.  They are stupendous.  I've got a set of XB700s that I use for almost everything else and at work--they're so comfortable and good enough at everything that I can listen to them all day long--but when I get back to my room and just want to lose myself in music instead of having it as background noise, I grab my 225s and drift away.

Also:
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Haha a fellow 40k-tard! I'm not into that tabletop game nonsense, I just like to read the novels and play the PC games.

SR-225 was the reason I quit head-fi. I only hope that everybody on this forum finds their head-fi killer phone and hopefully it'll be as cheap as possible haha. 200 dollars these days is still a LOT of money but I had a truckload of crap to sell after I realized I didn't need all the amps, dac's, preamps, and interconnects. Purchase practically paid for itself!

And yes people, you CAN enjoy SR-225's from an MP3 player, it's just the SR-225 can resolve much more than that if you feed them a higher quality signal. BUT, the Zune is like 1.5 times the DAP (at least in it's generation back in the day) so I was more than confident in setting it to 12/20 (loud listening) and wafting away in my audio bliss.

The only reason I came back to head-fi was because I wanted to check up to see if there was anything new and different, but according to this thread everything is more of the same :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back