Need help with a headphone upgrade! $200 or less!
Aug 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FCO2013

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking into getting into my first "big" headphone upgrade. I don't want to spend too much since I have a unique listening situation (I have two fully developed, functional ears, but one is closed up, so I'm pretty much deaf in that ear), but at the same time I also want something really nice. Currently my two nice headphones consist of the Superlux HD668B and the Sennheiser HD429.

I was looking into the Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD518, Sennheiser HD558, and the AKG K142 HD. I'm also open to suggestions!

Some info that might be helpful:

I prefer Semi-Open/Open over closed.

I prefer circumaural headphones.

Source is mainly my phone (Original HTC Droid Incredible) or Ipod touch 2nd gen. Occasionally my computer. Files are almost always 320kpbs MP3.

Portability isn't really an issue. These new cans would stay at home.

I'm open to getting an amp, but one that isn't very expensive (less than $50).

I listen to lots of Alternative (radiohead and the like), rock, hip-hop, some electronica, jazz, classical music (A LOT).

Should be fairly comfy, though i'm not that picky.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 9
i am listening to my pro900 now, i know its a closed can...if u stretch to 250 :p
but it sounded wide imho...and i was wondering if u can FEEL the music in that closed ear..?
the bass..its tight n pounding on my setup..which is a LYR amp..dacportLX.. n laptop.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Another budget stretcher here. AKG Q701. You'll need an amp, but I found them to be near perfect for classical music. Beethoven's 7th never sounded better.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:Lorspeaker
i am listening to my pro900 now, i know its a closed can...if u stretch to 250 :p
but it sounded wide imho...and i was wondering if u can FEEL the music in that closed ear..?
the bass..its tight n pounding on my setup..which is a LYR amp..dacportLX.. n laptop.

Yeah, I can feel it in that ear, but only if it's so loud to the point that it's painful to the other ear. And I'm on a pretty strict budget so I wouldn't be able to stretch it out another $50.

Quote: biggbenn74
Another budget stretcher here. AKG Q701. You'll need an amp, but I found them to be near perfect for classical music. Beethoven's 7th never sounded better.

I was looking at those, then saw the price haha. I'm on a strict budget, so unless I can find a bangin' deal on those, they're out of the question.

Quote: KG Jag
In that price range for your genre's you will probably have to make a compromise or two.  I'd go with the Senn HD 558, realizing that while it has decent bass--it is not a can that bassheads will love.

I'm okay with compromising a bit. I'm not really a basshead (I don't like overwhelming bass), so I'd be okay with that. Plus I have the HD429 which are pretty bassy already (out of the ones I own), so it's not like I need another.

Any other suggestions?

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Bump

Nothing else? Really? I find that hard to believe, with so many headphones out there.

Well, let me re-hash my Q701 post. You can find some on the second-hand market for 190-200. You just need to be patient. eBay deals on these headphones pop up occasionally, so keep your eyes peeled.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 9
if u like classicals... then gun for a hd600....that's my fav for this genre :p

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Well, let me re-hash my Q701 post. You can find some on the second-hand market for 190-200. You just need to be patient. eBay deals on these headphones pop up occasionally, so keep your eyes peeled.

Ahh ok, I will scour ebay and the like. Thanks!
Quote:
if u like classicals... then gun for a hd600....that's my fav for this genre :p

That was my original plan, but it's waay out of my price range. Also I've heard some things about a veil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back