Need help! I have been through 6 different headphones in the past couple weeks and need new suggestions!
Aug 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
You've tried all of those headphones? So you are looking for a detailed headphone with some nice boosted bass right? Since you already have a nice amp, something like the higher end Denons or the higher end Ultrasones seems like somethings you would want to research a little.  
atsmile.gif

Sure, thanks for the tip. I was just afraid that since i have the denon 1001's and don't like their  sound signature (i think the highs are too harsh), then i might not like the Denon 2000's or 5000's. I will look into it though as well as the ultrasones. I have been very adamant about using the frequency response chart on headroom to find the sound signature i want, but I don't feel like it is always accurate

Quote:
What are you listening too, in other words what's your source?

I use FLAC files in Foobar ( with Asio) with the iBasso D4 mamba amp which i use as both my DAC and AMP.

Quote:
I found the 940 to have a even brighter sound then my SR80i's

Were the highs too bright? As in harsh?

Quote:
I'm not trying to spark a debate, but with going through so many headphones so fast, did you give any of them a real chance to burn it/your mind to get used to them?  How long did you spend with each headphone?

Sure, well I guess i exaggerated a little bit, it wasn't exactly a week, it has been two now, and i burned each headphone in for about 100 or so hours before i made my final decisions, and after comparing them. But i agree, i probably should have spent more time with each one. I feel like i spent a day or so with each.

Quote:
If you don't have a preference of open/closed = Go Open

$500 is a great price. Let's try to get you a amp/DAC too!

Harsh sounds as if you're experiencing a evolution to basshead. What you might call harsh is the highs (treble) that are a little too far up there.

Gwarmi said Acceseroannahgoeoes, which are Grados that are tweaked: my favorite cans for anything.
Alessadros are what I find too tweaked and the personality of Grado are worked out.
The earlier Grado are more harsh but funner. Like SR60/80/125

Get a Grado SR325i - which are less harsh because the bass is moved up. Don't do the 225i with woodies idea that's been floating around. If you're buying a good headphone, don't mod it.
Then pick up a 1/4 to 3.55mm Grado adapter here
Well worth it to go portable

I don't expect you to have a decent source, so pick up a Clip+ (any size)
And look at some Ibasso portable amps. The Ibasso D2 is good with anything and Grado don't need a amp, but they do get better with one.

I've tried the SR 225i's and didn't really care for them. They were just too thin sounding to me. Maybe I didn't give them enough time to break in. I'll have to research if the 325i's have more bass. I am currently using a D4 mamba as my AMP/DAC combo.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:
I use FLAC files in Foobar ( with Asio) with the iBasso D4 mamba amp which i use as both my DAC and AMP.

Well ultimately you're spending money to listen to that source, if it isn't good and the amp is under powered then no headphone will sound that good. In other words what you're hearing is the iBasso, not the headphones. Ideally mobile amps are built for IEMs, possibly some circumaural phones but definitely not 300Ohm Sennhesiers. Invest in a better amp first and foremost, a better DAC will improve the SQ.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #18 of 20
Well ultimately you're spending money to listen to that source, if it isn't good and the amp is under powered then no headphone will sound that good. In other words what you're hearing is the iBasso, not the headphones. Ideally mobile amps are built for IEMs, possibly some circumaural phones but definitely not 300Ohm Sennhesiers. Invest in a better amp first and foremost, a better DAC will improve the SQ.

Ohhhhhh okay I was afraid of that. Thanks for the insight. I didn't really want to and can't spend the money to upgrade my headphones AND my amp/dac so maybe for now I should try getting a new hybid tube amp or solid state amp for my denon 1001s and try recabling them. I hear the little dots and schitt are good amps. I could use my D4 line out as the DAC. Do you think that would be a good idea?

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 20

Maybe you should try the Beyerdynamic DT1350. It's not a full size headphone but I use it all day long at work and loved them. It should pair well with your D4.

I also have the Shure SRH940 and they are not Bass monster but from a tube amplifier they reproduce vocal amazingly and do not sound harsh to my ears.
Quote:
bump bump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back